Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night and today Lola's been showing signs of aggression that have me concerned.  

Last night when we got home, tired and upset we decided to go right to bed, since Lola was home alone for a few hours we decided to let her sleep with us.  She laid down in-between us, but instead of curling up, decided that she wanted to stretch out and I ended up with feet in my head and back.  So I sat up and tried to move her to the side of me....well when I went to move her she growled a really low pitch rumble and snapped at me.  I told her "no" and held her jaw for a second.  Tried to move her again...same thing.  Finally my bf had to just pick her up and move her.  Then she was fine and went right to sleep.  

Then today, my mother just called and said that Lola was outside and my mother noticed that the fence next to the pool was knocked down and Lola was behind the pool, so she went and got Lola and put the fence back up....well apparently Lola didnt like this and was growling, barking, lunging, running and jumping at my mother actually making contact like she was trying to push her over!

Apparently she's not liking being told what to do!

What is going on with this girl and any suggestions on how to correct it?  I'm glad it was us and no a stranger.  

Sorry so long......thanks!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Re: Growling, Snaping, Lunging.....what is going on with her

Sam did the same thing to my hubby in bed. Normally, when we try to move him, he just acts silly and rolls over but he didn't this time and did the same thing your Lola did. We gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was totally exhausted from his play day but I think it was definitely a dominance issue. He hasnt' done it since though. IMO sounds like she is testing you all. How old is she? Sam is two this month.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

WOW..shes testing everyone...the growling and even a snap i would say is testing..the lunging and jumping at snapping id be more concerned with..

Isis has growled and snapped 3 times in 2 yrs..2 times @ my brother when he was here..he had jusst gotten here..dogs were in the back of our pathfinder Isis jumped over the seat where my brother and both my sons were strapped into seatbelts..so no one could move..and shes HEAVY !!..he tried to get her back in the back..and she growled and snapped but not to connect..
ALSO..the 3 rd time was in our bed..me trying to move her 80 pound butt from my pillow...she didnt want to move !! lol she growled..i was like uhmm excuse me? you dont pay any bills MOVE !!! and i lifted her up haha and placed her on the end of the bed..that was the beginning of her not feeling good though so i think that may have been it PLUS being deaf they startle eaiser..she was fast asleep

i really believe growling and snapping are their warning...if they wanted to connect they would by actually biting not just a snap..BUT the lunging? and seeming like she is trying to connect? hmmm...she's upset maybe?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

How old is Lola?  Sounds like teenager behavior to me.  You don't want to punish a dog for growling.  They are warning you they can't handle something and their only option is to bite since they are told not to warn or if it is a puppy it is playing.  Good old obedience training if it's a pup coming into adolesence is imperative with this breed.  They are working dogs and they need to be worked to keep their minds stimulted and to teach them proper acceptable behavior.

Nano

1 - 4 of 4 Posts