Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone.. Yes gauges is more of a low grumble too.. I also don't even know 100% if he knows he's doing it? He might be doing it in his sleep!! It's not a threatening growl at all more like a groan.. But, the fact that he's never done it until recently is what's bothering me.

And with other dogs at the park he has never tried to hurt another dog, just submit them.. Show his dominance. And then he plays like normal.

If it's something that's going to even out after he goes through this doggy puberty then I will leave him intact.. I'm just worried at this time that if I don't address this that it will turn into aggression?

I'm probably just being an overly worried dog-mom.. But the sudden change in behaviour just has me worrying if his personality is going to change.. And I don't want to find out the hard way (at the park.. At my dog-sitters who has two small kids).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Twice in the past week I woke gauge up from a nap by moving him, or pushing him out of my way.. And he growled under his breath.

He didn't snap at me or anything and I corrected him right away, however he's not fixed and I'm worried that this could be a sign of aggression..?

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.. Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I wonder how your dog is doing? I have a boxer that is around 3 and he is becoming aggressive. Twice during the night he has snapped at me. Only at night. Both times I just shifted in the bed and apparently he did not like it. I am becoming very stressed about it.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Well whatever has happened with "gauge??" Has been "solved, one way or the other," by now ... as this post is from 2014??

And sigh ... I think I handled this question ... poorly?? The first time around?? So I'll see if I can do a bit better this time around?? So instead of just stating the obvious first step, ... I'll ask questions and "preference it with," ... your particular "Boxer is "not the norm??"

Cuz I would guess .... that you do "sigh," what most Boxer owner's do (myself included) to a great degree.
Your dog sleep's with you in your bed well yeah obviously. He get's up and off the furniture at will?? He free roam's in the house all day?? He's not that great on a leash and may also be "Dog Reactive??" And of course he get's lot's of hug's and kisses ie affection and attention for being a "Good Boy," even though it sounds like ... he is clearly "NOT!"

Those are question's ... as I don't know?? But how many of them did I get right?? And welcome aboard ... "sorry your having "issue's," but so you "know," the crap behavior you describe ... is not the "Norm," by any means??? So yes ... you feel "stressed!"

Now it can be fixed ... but your not gonna like it. But hey ... how many of my questions did I get right?? .

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Well this is a very old thread so original poster probably isn't around anymore. There is an old saying "let sleeping dogs lie" or "Don't wake a sleeping dog". Dogs require a lot of sleep and much of it is in the REM stage, where they are dreaming. He has no idea this is you nudging him, he is in a dream state. You don't know what he is dreaming about and waking a sleeping dog could have serious consequences. He obviously is a deep sleeper so I would get hm his own bed so he can sleep without disturbance.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This does look like a very old post like you said the OP is probably not around anymore I wonder what happened there. I don't think it was all that dogs testosterone problem there I know people who have had females growl as well when they are woken or otherwise disturbed I think this was a case of the owner not being the "alpha" in the house. My dogs were never allowed to challenge me I don't allow them to even think they can they always know I am the boss. When people let their dogs get the upper hand this is what happens and yes her dog sitter has small children this is an accident waiting to happen! I hope it didn't.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts