Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Growth & maturity

861 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Lindar51 
#1 ·
Couple of questions I have.

I have read that male boxers who are not neutered reach there skeletal maturity at around 18 months.

My guy Zuke who I will probably get neutered will be approaching that date soon. I have read its probably best to wait till your boxer hits the 18 month mark. Also I have read boxers who remain intact grow slower and that is a benefit of not getting them neutered before the 18 month mark, until their skeleton is fully developed. Is this correct?

Last question I have. He is 14 months and weighs 74 lbs, when he gets neutered will he be putting on weight faster because of the procedure? Just curious if it is something to watch for and adjust his diet accordingly.

#2 ·
I'm no expert but I also read that 18 months is a good age to get them neutered as their growth plates should be closed. We had Kai done at 12 months. Kai put weight on after he was a year but mostly in just filling out as he is not overweight. I wouldn't necessarily adjust his food before hand. If he gets to chunky or develops loose stool then you can.

#3 ·
Thanks Lindar51.

I figured he was going to put more weight on for the next 10 months, he is very lanky and thin. I have no idea how he weighs 74lbs. lol

Yeah I wasn't going to adjust before hand, was just wondering if anyone noticed quicker weight gain or changes in diet after the neutering. Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.