Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl has an infection in her feet. It is on all 3 feet, inbetween her pads. They are red and swollen, and I do not know what they are. She stayed the weekend with her sisters, and all 3 play ruf biting each others legs. She has evident bite marks as you will see, but the pads have become infected and seem to be growing a hard skin on them, like a scab, but like the pad too. My vet gave me anti-biotics and said we will look at them again in a week or so.

She said that some dogs grow additional paws or pads, but this usually happens very young. I am stumped and am worried. They are red and infected and they hurt her.

Has anyone seen anything like this on their dogs? Thanks, any help I would appreciate!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i havent heard of this and i have previously worked at a vet clinic for over two years. I guess though it is a possible. I hope everything is ok, please keep us posted on how she is doing.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never heard of growing additional pads on the paw. One of my friends boxer's used to get some sort of fungal infection in between the pads. They just used antibiotics and some sort of foot wash and that cleared it up.
Hopefully it is just some sort of fluke thing, or maybe she just played way too hard this weekend.
Another idea I just had, could she have burned her pads on the sidewalk or street? Just a thought because it is the summertime. Keep us posted on her, I hope she is feeling better real soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I had thought about the burning and fungal possibilities also, so I am hoping that the anti-biotics will clear things up just fine! I will keep everyone posted and if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry, wish I could help but never have seen anything like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I wanted to update everyone out there and put this forum out for future referance if anyone may have this problem. The growths have continued to get worse and more and more are developing. We took her to our trustee vet that we use in situations like this, where we drive 2 hours each way to see. He did a biopsy and come to find that Cali has been infected with "viral papilloma" which is like chicken pox or warts for dogs. It only spreads from dog to dog, not between humans or any other animals.

This particular infections takes 1-2 months to come around from time of contact with infected dog. It generally occurs in younger dogs. It generally affects the mouth, where they grow inside the mouth and throat. However, Cali is having hers all over her paws and legs. This has to just run its course, and heal on its own.

Hopefully nobody will ever see this on their pups, it is not fun!! She should be ok though, will keep you posted!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh we think we may have picked it up at Petsmart, thats the only place we can think of that could have infected her! Heads up!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" about Petsmart.    We take our two frequently and never really thought about what they could be exposed to.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Poor baby, hope she gets better soon.  You said she was playing with her sisters and you noticed it after she came home, did the other two get it also?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No that is the very strange thing. There must be a period of time in which it is contagious. She had to have contracted the infection 30-60 days ago for it to come to this point. I can only think that she must have been clear of her sisters while contagious, because she does not live with them.

It is said to take anywhere from 4-12 weeks to clear up once noticed. Hopefully soon, and the growth on the pad we may have to sugically remove. This was one expensive little infection!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good Lord. I hope this clears up soon. I've never heard of such a thing. I guess you really never know what is lurking on the floors and in the aisles of these pet stores. Reminds me of all these nails salons. I won't step foot in one of those places ever again. I guess she could've picked it up anywhere. Scary.  :?  I hope it clears up fast and that she won't need any surgery.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Wow.  That is very interesting and I am sorry you guys are having to go through it.  I can honestly say after working in vet med since 1993.  I have never seen k-9 viral papillomas anywhere but the mouth and once I saw it on the eyelids.  Of course I have heard/read that they can have it on the feet or between the toes, just never seen it.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
just had a bout with this in the mouth with my pup - probablly got it from daycare.  

They give you no meds and say that it will go away upon immune system build up.   These virus are very common in young pups since they are still trying to build up their immune systems.    

I then started to give liquid echinecia in her kibble.   Also applied peppermint oil to the wart (its not an open sore, just a white wart).   The peppermint is a natural "anit-viral" and was told to use it by a great breeder friend who likes to take holistic approaches when curing something.

Needless to say it cleared up within 2 weeks by using the above treatments.   Good Luck:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts