Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang well I got all excited that I was able to submit a post... until I tried to repy to my own post :aua: It keeps telling me invalid session (maybe it has something to do w/ my work computer?? I'm in the Navy and there's certain restrictions they have on these computers)

Okay well anyways---
I read on here somewhere a few days ago that it's possible for a puppy/dog to lose it's natural inhibition to not pee where they sleep (in their cage)??? My 2 fur babies (5 months) are only crated during the day... at night they sleep on their very own sofa (I threw a blanket over it to protect it a little) and they don't stir until I get up in the morning and let them come down.  I'm sure that they can hold it... I just don't think they care anymore.  They will pee in their crates and then lay in it  8O! I've tried everything... they are too big to section the crate off (Damien is 40lbs and Jasmine is 30lbs), I've tried leaving them w/o any bedding ----- I just come home to them actually sitting/laying in a puddle (bathing them day after day got old fast) so I'm back to putting bedding in the cage (it soaks up most of the pee and I just wash it daily... w/ NM and laundry soap).  Damien was doing really well w/ holding it in the cage but for the past few weeks it seems like a competition b/w the 2 of 'em as to who can pee more  ~X(
They also have the ringing the bell thing down pact! So thankfully no accidents in the house... just in their cage.  Oh and I've also tried covering their cage to make it seem more "den" like... yeah it didn't make a difference.  

I don't have the option of leaving them confined to an area in the house and quite frankly with the curiosity that they have (esp together) I wouldn't have peace of mind... they'd find a way to get into something they shouldn't.  I know that the crate is the safest for them while we are not home and can't keep an eye on them (they play pretty rough sometimes and I just don't trust them yet unsupervised).

Let's see what am I forgetting...
----it doesn't matter how long they are in the crate.  2 hours or 5... there is usually pee.  I limit their water so that they don't drink before they go in the crate.  I alternate b/w leaving a kong w/ frozen pb or some nylabone chew thing. They've been checked out by the vet to rule out UTI's---- Jasmine actually had one about 2 months ago but I think it was caused by her laying on her wet blanket! Few hundred $$$'s later + meds she's back to her normal self.

I think what's especially fustrating is that I know they can hold it! I don't know what else to do  :(
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks for letting me vent...

Oh and yesterday the hubby came home to find that Jasmine had pooped in her cage.  I want to believe that it was an isolated incident... but I'm kinda worried that it might be escalating??

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:roll:

G

·
0 Posts
how frustrating...   and they are 5 months old?  i can't believe they are sitting in it.  i wish i could be more help but it sounds like you have tried everything i would have tried  :(

maybe someone else will have some better suggestions!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am not sure what to tell you and I can't really offer much help, however, I went through the same thing. About 3 months ago (Gus was 4 months old) we started to notice he would pee in his crate when we left for work. He REALLY hated his crate then. I had to pick the little guy up and put him in there while he fought with me.  :(  He slept through the night without any accidents too...It happened for about 2-3 weeks, then we moved the crate to a different part of the house, and it stopped...all the bad crate stuff stopped. He now goes in on his own, he doesn't pee anymore, and he even goes in to grab toys when we are home.

Like I said, not much help. Maybe it's a phase?! I'm sure there will be better answers out there!!  :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
This sounds like a separation anxiety problem.  I liked the suggestion above about moving the crates somewhere else in the house.  Also, have you tried leaving a t.v. on to entertain them while you're gone?  Is your bathroom big enough to let the dogs stay loose in it?  Duke will NOT crate (at age 5, I'm not going to fight him on this, unless there's an emergency).  If we need to confine him, we put him in our master bathroom (linoleum floor-easier to clean in case of an accident, which thankfully, he doesn't have).  That way, he doesn't have access to the whole house, but he does have more freedom than in a crate.  

I'm sure others will have different and maybe better suggestions.  Good luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Georgiapeach\";p=\"87876 said:
This sounds like a separation anxiety problem.  I liked the suggestion above about moving the crates somewhere else in the house.  Also, have you tried leaving a t.v. on to entertain them while you're gone?
We did move Gus' crate near the TV and the window...maybe that will help you too!?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wish I had some other suggestions for you, I am sure that others have had to go through something similar.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi Beka,

Yea I mentioned puppies are able to lose their natural inhibition to pee where they sleep. If its done over and over yes they will begin to ignore their instinct to keep things clean... The key word is 'ignore' not forget! However, I never feel it is too late for them to remember! You just have to find what is bothering them so much that they need to pee in the crate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts