Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota! (Our boxer baby neighbor!)  Yup! He got out again...guys, I have been SO sad...he sits in his pen outside(we have had weather BELOW freezing...heck, below ZERO and he is still outside all day) and HOWLS...anyway, he got out today and was across the fence playing with the boys for quite a while before we finally just went out there...Kelly hopped the fence and put him over in our yard...we took him in and warmed him up for a while and then called his Mommy...he was SUCH a gentleman...plays so nice...when he plays with toys or your hands, you NEVER feel teeth, at ALL!  he made himself comfy and even climbed up in my lap for a while before she came to get him...sad thing was, she just took him home and put him in his pen and left again...so after spending the afternoon hanging out with him, I could hear him crying out there...so sad...anyway, here are some pics I took of our gentleman neighbor...

Oh, and yes, you will recognize the Sun spot he is lieing in...we had to put Mic and Indy downstairs for a while as they were NOT cool with him being IN their HOUSE...I figured that our babies could give up their Sun spot for an hour or so to warm a fellow Boxerbaby...I think they've forgiven us! :)

Oh, one more thing... for the record, I have called the humane society twice to find out if there was anything we can do for Toyota...as long as he has a kennel with a dog house in it they won't do anything...I hope to make friends and invite him over for playdates, etc...maybe offer to watch him when I am home and they aren't...I don't know...all I know is he liked being at "Aunties house" for a few hours...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
what a beautiful dog. I can't believe they would leave him outside all the time in the cold! That is a sin, I feel bad leaving my
baby outside too long when shes going to pee!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Some people just should not have dogs.  I go running (well, used to run   :wink: ) and there was a huskey tied to a pole and always outside - he had a dog house but even on the coldest night you would just drive by to see if the A-holes would bring him in  - nope - to me what the sense of having a dog.  If you are not getting any enjoyment out of them aren't they just wasting your money on food and vet care??

To me I get out what I put in, even more -  I love these needy little buggers and it makes me feel good that they need and rely on me too.   So its a win win situation.  Have not tolerence for people who have no heart.  

I like toyota - I will drive by and doggie nap him!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I can't believe they leave him outside all the time...poor little guy.....I'm with Hanna on this one someone that acctually has a heart should doggie nap him....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If I did not live in the other corner of the Country we'd be all over the dog nap.   Hanna can be the look out and Kash can drive the get away car.  But seriously, poor dog, I'd sneak him some leftovers and good treat all the time.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Do they really want Toyota or could you take him and give him to a rescue or a friend that would make a good home for him. they probably wont just hand him over..i know people like that that dont care for their pets but say it is still theirs and wont give it up...im glad he had a few hours of fun before going back to his kennel .

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GabysDaddy\";p=\"71927 said:
I can't believe they leave him outside all the time...poor little guy.....I'm with Hanna on this one someone that acctually has a heart should doggie nap him....
Honest to God...if I could get past the stealing thing, I would do it...but, you know...I have met them...they love him...they are just clueless...they seem to think he is JUST a dog...and we know better, don't we...Boxers are NOT just dogs...and even if they were, they are SHORT haired dogs with BIG DEEP chests...I am hoping to educate them...but, Kelly and I got to thinking today...you know, we think it would be better to kennel him inside while they are at work...but, THEY might think that the fact that we kennel OURS when we are gone on Mondays is cruel...I don't know what to think...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Especially when he is so good in the house as you say... Crazy becasue if anyone does any research at all about boxers they do need to be inside and they need people.  That is Boxer 101! Sometimes we can never know what 'they' think and they just have to learn like everyone else.

·
Registered
882 Posts
JeanenesBoogerBabies\";p=\"71932 said:
Honest to God...if I could get past the stealing thing, I would do it...but, you know...I have met them...they love him...they are just clueless...they seem to think he is JUST a dog...and we know better, don't we...Boxers are NOT just dogs...and even if they were, they are SHORT haired dogs with BIG DEEP chests...I am hoping to educate them...but, Kelly and I got to thinking today...you know, we think it would be better to kennel him inside while they are at work...but, THEY might think that the fact that we kennel OURS when we are gone on Mondays is cruel...I don't know what to think...
If your kenneling your pups inside while you are gone for a few hours I don't think that's cruel at all...like you said they have short hair they should not be outside for extended periods of time in the winter....you need to talk some sense into these people, and if they really love him they will see it your way

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
My boyfriends younger brothers friend lives around the corner from us, they had a saint bernard that spent 90% of his time outside... they had to put him down a few weeks ago because he needed hip surgery and they couldn't afford it...

I was actually about to call the aspca on them until i found that out...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Donya\";p=\"71929 said:
Do they really want Toyota or could you take him and give him to a rescue or a friend that would make a good home for him. they probably wont just hand him over..i know people like that that dont care for their pets but say it is still theirs and wont give it up...im glad he had a few hours of fun before going back to his kennel .
When she came to pick him up she said she was "frantic" looking for him...kinda weird since the last SEVERAL times he has "dissappeared" he was playing next door to them in the neighbors backyard, which is across the fence from our dogs...so, I don't know where she was looking...but, she said she was really worried...I made a point of saying that when we brought him in (and this is NO exaggeration) he had icicles stuck to his fur on his chest and around his mouth...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DieselsMom\";p=\"71949 said:
What was her response to the icicle thing?
Her response was "Oh, poor thing! I was SO worried"...

I have repeated MANY times in conversations(we've met a few times since he started running off to play with our dogs) that they are NOT tolerant of extremes in weather and they ARE PEOPLE dogs...they know we have about 12 boxers in our extended family...I was hoping she'd ask more questions...today she didn't stay but a moment to get him...I had our calendar up in the living room(usually in my room) in the hope that I would get a chance to point it out and talk about the forum...but, no deal this time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
samson07\";p=\"71950 said:
Maybe you should leave a book about the proper ways to care for boxers and maybe that would give them a hint.
I agree...I have been trying to think of a way to do that...I DO know that she said she wanted another puppy(I KNOW, I KNOW...not a good thing) and I was thinking I might be able to use that platform to give her more info...you know, talk about what it's like to have MULTIPLE Boxers...maybe even ask what they did with Toyota when he was a puppy last Winter(we just moved in here this last Nov 29th)  Believe me...I am thinking...I have studied enough psychology that I am trying NOT to alienate them, for his sake...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BOXERBOYS\";p=\"71970 said:
awwwwwwwwwwww he looks like such a sweet guy........You need to set up some regular play dates with him.
Yep we do...and I did mention to her that I programmed her number into my phone(off of his collar...he did at least have that) so we can arrange play dates...I am even thinking of offering to "dogsit" on my day off during the week...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
but why does she leave him out there all day in the first place? is that how she was raised? with the dogs staying in the yard all the time, with little to no interaction with the human family?
also what if she has no intention of changing her habits. ignorant of specific boxer needs or not, even if she finally reads up on the breed there's no way of forcing her to do what's best for the dog.

My aunt and uncle are like that. they had a st. bernard and a pit / lab mix that were always outside dogs. Granted my uncle had built them quite an elaborate kennel in the back yard, but I NEVER agreed with them being out there.

I'm sure these people love their dog, but they're just not doing the right thing for it and I'm worried that nothing going to change.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DieselsMom\";p=\"71987 said:
but why does she leave him out there all day in the first place? is that how she was raised? with the dogs staying in the yard all the time, with little to no interaction with the human family?
also what if she has no intention of changing her habits. ignorant of specific boxer needs or not, even if she finally reads up on the breed there's no way of forcing her to do what's best for the dog.

My aunt and uncle are like that. they had a st. bernard and a pit / lab mix that were always outside dogs. Granted my uncle had built them quite an elaborate kennel in the back yard, but I NEVER agreed with them being out there.

I'm sure these people love their dog, but they're just not doing the right thing for it and I'm worried that nothing going to change.
I hear you...we will be watching...if there is ever an opportunity I will be calling the local humane society(like the next time he breaks out)...with the stipulation that they call me if the dog is surrendered(I know some of the folks down there)...I have spoken with them a few times about the potential for breed education, etc...they are pretty good about helping here...beyond that, I am not done thinking...I can't just sit by and watch this continue...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts