Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!
Mr. Guinness is settling nicely! Eating well, learning some commands, getting used to walking on his leash. He goes to bed well and up until 2 nights ago, he slept til his potty breaks then would settle back to sleep in his crate. The last couple of nights, he starts fine, but then breaks into crying fits. We wait til he settles before going to him, but then he's up less than an hour later he's crying again. We have his heartbeat puppy, which has got him settled until now. During the day, he sleeps well if he is close to us. Day naps in the crate result in the same crying fits. We play him hard before bed and that gets him to sleep but not for long.
Has anyone had any luck with Thunder Spray? Too late to pick some up today, but picking it up tomorrow.
Yes, Martin, looks like the ninjas have descended! LOL:ninjajig::ninjajig::ninjajig:

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
hehe,told ya :)

Stay firm,dont use gimmicks...it can be heart breaking and cut into your sleep time but soldier on...it will pass.

P.S. Not a fan of crates,I recon it can be needed for pups though....had 3 pups in my lifetime and as soon as they were clean inside the house,they were roaming free (and it cost me a few pieces of furniture,admittedly...and a record collection....and a futon....and a sofa

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
This one was in charge of destroying everything else,mainly blinds,doors and anything with buttons

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking that for the first 5-6 days he was still unsure of us and his new home. Always happy and playful with us during his wakeful hours, but ok to settle in to sleep at night. Now that he's spent so much time with us (even during the day as I am able to take him to work) He's gotten very used to being in our presence, so he's not happy to be separated from us at night.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'm thinking that for the first 5-6 days he was still unsure of us and his new home. Always happy and playful with us during his wakeful hours, but ok to settle in to sleep at night. Now that he's spent so much time with us (even during the day as I am able to take him to work) He's gotten very used to being in our presence, so he's not happy to be separated from us at night.
so he's not happy to be separated from us at night.[/QUOTE]So that is why you have to let him cry it out in his crate. Once you break, it will only get more difficult. You have to stick to it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But what about those who crate train in their bedrooms? How do those puppies deal with separation?

·
Registered
240 Posts
so he's not happy to be separated from us at night.
So that is why you have to let him cry it out in his crate. Once you break, it will only get more difficult. You have to stick to it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely worth sticking it out. We've had a very hard time with our Willow and her crate, but we persevered for 2 solid months and she's finally settled into the crate. I love having her crate trained, it's just easier when you have to go out somewhere, and it gives you piece of mind they aren't getting into anything harmful to them. I'd let him cry it out, it's tough, and I was running on about 3 hours of sleep sometimes, due to laying in bed listening to crying and barking, but I'd definitely do it all over again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
what about crating in our room?
That's what we ended up doing.

The first two nights with Zoe were terrible - she was up whining and howling in between our potty breaks. Kept our whole house up! We bought a second crate and put it in our room on the third night and she slept 5 hours before stirring for a potty break. We had no problem with her from that point forward. She's on her own bed in our room now. All we have to do is say 'let's go night night" and she goes right to her bed in our room. She's 3 1/2 now.

I'm no expert of course. But, to me this was a personal preference.

HTH,

Stephanie

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Stephanie. Where did you put Zoe when you went out then? Would she be good in her crate if you weren't close by?

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Why are you stressing him out by placing him in a Rubbermaid container?

Place his crate beside your bed and let him cry it out. Stick with the same routine every night. No gimmicks, no shirts, no sprays...nothing. Welcome to babies.

Do not talk to him, do not verbally comfort him. Place him in the crate, turn off the light and go to bed. You can drop your hand to let him know you are there but that is it. During day time crate training, that is when you leave the room for short periods of time to teach him that it's ok to be alone.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Why are you stressing him out by placing him in a Rubbermaid container?

Place his crate beside your bed and let him cry it out. Stick with the same routine every night. No gimmicks, no shirts, no sprays...nothing. Welcome to babies.

Do not talk to him, do not verbally comfort him. Place him in the crate, turn off the light and go to bed. You can drop your hand to let him know you are there but that is it. During day time crate training, that is when you leave the room for short periods of time to teach him that it's ok to be alone.
LOL ... "Thank You" for confirming what I know and understand to be the correct approach!

But I still ponder with my next "Boxer" a girl ... what I will do??? Logically ...no question ... "Crate Train" your dog! But ... you know ... the girls ... and that face??? Just melts my heart! Marilyn said my eyes would twinkle whenever she "Struddels" name to me!

Aww well time will tell. I'm not opposed to getting somethings wrongs and playing catch up .... "Boxers" you know. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I really like watching Zak George on YouTube because I like the way that he teaches.

Here's a video about

Here's a video about potty training and crate training.

I think you'll find these resources very useful. His channel has some other videos that you might find useful as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ummmm so the Rubbermaid beside the bed actually calms him. He goes right to sleep, no problem. Sleeps without being comforted by my voice or my hand until he needs to go out, then right back to sleep after he comes back in. ZERO stress! I know he needs to get used to his crate which is why he went back to it in his room after one night in the bin beside our bed. The crying and barking started again.
So, my question is, how is the bin different than the crate, truly? Bin in room=calm. Crate in his own room=stress.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I'm a fan of "do what works best for you"! If you don't want him crying in his crate and the Rubbermaid container works, then I see no harm in it. But that's just my opinion. lol

Duke was crate trained but when it came to sleeping at night, he slept on a doggie bed by our bed in our room, and still does to this day. Eventually, as he got bigger he would climb up into our bed in the middle of the night (and still does). We're fine with this! It works for us.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ummmm so the Rubbermaid beside the bed actually calms him. He goes right to sleep, no problem. Sleeps without being comforted by my voice or my hand until he needs to go out, then right back to sleep after he comes back in. ZERO stress! I know he needs to get used to his crate which is why he went back to it in his room after one night in the bin beside our bed. The crying and barking started again.
So, my question is, how is the bin different than the crate, truly? Bin in room=calm. Crate in his own room=stress.
I'm guessing he's calmer in the bin because he's right beside you, whereas his crate is in another room, away from you.
We moved Willow's crate, but it was only because she wasn't adjusting after an entire month. Then we moved it from downstairs to upstairs (closer to our bedroom) and she's doing great now, but she seemed to take forever to adjust to her crate in general! We let her bark and cry it out for 2 months straight before she became ok with it.
I would decide, either bin or crate (I'd vote crate personally) and leave it in one spot. Let him cry it out, it may take a few nights (hopefully not 2 months like Willow!!), but he'll eventually get it that you always come back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts