Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so training is going well and she is a really sweet loveable girl, but she eats everything.
Her favorite thing is hand brooms. I have to create her just so I can sweep the house.
She eat sticks, anything plastic, candles, even a baby pool that we go for her to cool down.
She doesn't touch the furniture or anything like that but clothes, school stuff or anything else she can get her paws on.
I home all day so it's not because she is board or mad, she just chews everything to shreds.

Every now and again she get the runs and I'm worried that what she's eating is not good for her, not that I can see how it would be good for her.
Her diet basically is her dog food and anything plastic.

I use her e collar and give her something that she is allowed to have like one of her toys or a bone. Just like you would a child but it doesn't work.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I call Talos a trash can on legs. I can't leave him out of my site. He even knows it's wrong. But if I go out of the room to the kitchen I can almost bet my life that he'll have something he shouldn't. A piece of mail, my car keys, pine cones, etc..etc.. It's a constant battle. I often wonder if I'll ever feel comfortable to take down the baby gates so he can roam in more than just one big room.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would be concerned. God for bid she gets a blockage.

I'm not sure how the training would go with a deaf dog, I'm assuming the same thing you do when you correct her with other issues.

I'm definitely no expert on this, but I would tell Zuke "no" when he was a puppy if he grabbed anything that wasn't his. The key for me was not taking away whatever it was(shoes, clothes, etc.) but leaving it where it was and repetitive "leave it" until he finally left it and realized it wasn't his. He hasn't grabbed anything that wasn't his since he was probably 4-5 months old. I also use "leave it" if we are outside and he wants to sniff a wrapper or something. When he did happen to grab something I used "drop it". He knew this command with his toys so he would drop anything he had in his mouth.

I did the same with food. 1st he has to go to his bed anytime food is out and he isn't allowed to get up till the dishes are in the sink. I also would put a rotisserie chicken on the floor and made him ignore it when he was only a couple months old. Now even if I drop a piece of food he will walk over sit and stare at it till I either pick it up or I tell him "ok" and he gets a treat.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Try getting her something to chew, like a himalayan bone. Kai loves his and when it gets small enough where he could swallow it we microwave it and it puffs up, of course you can't give it back for several hours and there will be hots spots in it.l We also used a stuffed Dentley bone, all out dogs love these and I have at times destuffed them but really they are happy with the bone. That one lats and when it starts to get rough around the edges or splinters we replace it. Both items can be bought at Petsmart or on line.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/treats/bones-and-rawhide/dentleysandtrade-natures-chew-filled-bone-dog-treat-5205536.html?utm_id=500|pg103057|335582924529&gclid=CjwKCAjwuITNBRBFEiwA9N9YEK0LrRcrrOmnrbc23Z5wdT3b2NexnDHUjnDkAoH1dm-PgQ60TDPRShoCAVgQAvD_BwE&lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:5205536,utm_medium:cpc,utm_content:GSC - NonBrand - ATK Low Performers | Consumables,utm_campaign:GSC - NonBrand - ATK Low Performers&utm_medium=cpc

Himalayan Dog Chew

I always buy the largest size

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I use her e collar and give her something that she is allowed to have like one of her toys or a bone. Just like you would a child but it doesn't work.
Yeah ... I'm not surprised ... details follow.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried?
No this is most definitely ... not normal! It's basically the difference between life and death. And a PO only approach ... which is what your are doing currently ... is simply not going to cut it ... for this. You simply can't bribe a dog into making good choices, you punish them for making "poor choices" and reward them for making good choices, you are currently doing neither.

Understanding that difference, is the difference between "those who can" and those who can not, that applies to "Trainers" also and rest assured ... that you will not find a "PO" trainer that could fix this before your dog dies on the operating the table ... if you're lucky???

According to Jeff Gellman ... the surgery for this is about a $3000 to $4000 if you're lucky and happen to be on site and recognize that your dog has a problem?? If you're not luck ... your dog eats ... whatever and simply expires while you are not there. :(

That is where you are currently, your dog is just one meal away from death ... it's pretty much that simple. The thing is ... you actually have the proper tool to fix this ... but the "Vibration Mode" is simply not going to cut it!

I don't use a E-Collar for training a dog myself (E-Collar) is not my thing but fixing issues ... yeah ... that's my thing. And you actually have the tool you need to solve this quickly ... you're simply not using it "effectively!"

You're gonna have to let go of the vibrate mode and use a "Stim!" Period end of story ... from there ... you have two options ... a high level Stim! Which can stop this crap in about uh ... three seconds flat or a bit more involved what would be a low level stim and then a much higher level to "Punish" the dog for making poor choices! Either approach will work but "you have to decide" if your willing to do that?? I can explain either option ... but I can't make the call for "you."

Or ... may standard long drawn out "tool free approach" which revolves around "No Free Roaming" in the house "period" end of story ... train "Place" do "Sit on the Dog" train calmness into the dog. Indoors the dog is either in "Place" or in a "Crate" period in of discussion ... there is not opportunity given to the dog to make "Poor Choices."

A couple of weeks or months of actual strict structure and the bad behaviour could self extinguish?? I'm not a "Pro" so time means nothing to me. I don't have to say this problem can be solved in two to three weeks. :)

So that is where you are ... you gotta make better choices for her! And so you know ... Jeff Gellman is available to you! And it this year he is doing free fifteen minute, Skype Sessions. See the link to the left here, free Skype.:

https://www.facebook.com/Solid-K9-Training-140229622668254/?pnref=lhc

If you signup and get picked ... be sure to let him know you already use an E-Collar on vibrate mode. :)

I pretty much already know what he will say, but I have no idea if he knows about the low level E-Collar approach, it was news to me??

And I can't recall the exact price ... but a one hour Skype Session with him is pretty affordable for just about everyone! So now ... you have options, you can go with the "Pro's" or stick around here. I don't play favorites ... I share what I know based on my experience and "Pro's" I follow, "Pro's" that share what they do.

Your call. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts