Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey its been a while since ive been on here.
Gyp is 15months old and she was weighed last week and she is 95lbs. The vet didnt say anything but we know she is over weight.
She is currently on royal canine 3 cups a day. We are looking to change her food but do not know what to change it to.

Also taking her for a walk can be a chore since she doesnt like to be to far from home. Once we get a certain distance she wants to go back home. She runs constantly in the yard.

Any suggestions on how we can get her weight down and what we should feed her?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
There are a lot of good foods out there.
You can research them on dogfoodanalysys.com.
Orijen, Acana, Fromm are some of the best ones.
Also decrease how much you are feeding by half a cup a day.

:)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow 95lbs at 15 months for a female. Thats big.

Definitely want her lower than that. Just for the health aspect.

Agree with gypsiemouse, start cutting back on the food.

Not sure about the nutritional value and cups a day for Royal Canin, but I have Zuke on Acana singles we do about 3 1/2 cups a day, but this is also after a a very active day, everyday. He just turned 2 and is a tad over 80.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Willow is on Acana, I feed her 3 1/2 cups a day (feed her in the morning and at dinner time). I also exercise her at the ball diamond, she gets a good run off leash there when I bring a toy. Or I take her for a run in the field with one of my cousin's dogs (boxer or golden retriever). I find she runs harder and plays harder with another dog there! She also gets one or 2 walks a day (about 45mins-an hour long).
I had her on Royal Canin when she was a puppy but turned out to be allergic. She LOVES her Acana!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely cut back the food and maybe try to swich food for her.

As for her running off leash at a park or something we are not able to do that. The ONLY place she can be off leash is our yard because she is deaf. Which is one of the reasons i read that she doesn't like to venture to far from home.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will definitely cut back the food and maybe try to swich food for her.

As for her running off leash at a park or something we are not able to do that. The ONLY place she can be off leash is our yard because she is deaf. Which is one of the reasons i read that she doesn't like to venture to far from home.
Is there anywhere that's large but fenced in that you could take her? We take Willow to the ball diamond because it is fenced in, otherwise she'd probably just run and it'd be hard to get her back to us! I bring treats to lure her back to me haha, she could run forever and hates leaving the ball diamond!

I have zero experience with deaf dogs, so disregard this if it's not a helpful suggestion!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately we dont have anywhere we can take her.
She is pretty good with recall, that was the first thing i taught her but we dont take any chances. Cuz as with all boxers if there is a squirrel or something she is interested in it doesnt matter how many time i vibrate her collar, she just ignores me ..lol

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hey its been a while since ive been on here.
Gyp is 15months old and she was weighed last week and she is 95lbs. The vet didnt say anything but we know she is over weight.
She is currently on royal canine 3 cups a day. We are looking to change her food but do not know what to change it to.

Also taking her for a walk can be a chore since she doesnt like to be to far from home. Once we get a certain distance she wants to go back home. She runs constantly in the yard.

Any suggestions on how we can get her weight down and what we should feed her?

Royal canine does make a weight control formula , you may want to cut her back from 3 cups per day to 2 and see if that helps any. Kai has been on V9ictor since he was 5 months old. His weight has remained at 73 # and really he doesn't get enough exercise . He eats not quite 3 cups per day.

·
Registered
634 Posts
We have had our boys on a couple of diets. Changing the food to diet food can help, but we have found better results by using the same food that they like, cutting back the portions, and offering no-salt green beans, or carrots. (I know there are reasons not to add something to their base food, however it gives them more natural and healthier sustenance than more dog food while losing weight). They are fed in slow feed bowls always.

Their treats were a big part of their weight and it took me a bit to get my husband (who works from home) to stop giving them large treats throughout the day. They get fewer and smaller treats. We opt for fresh fruit or vegetables many times as better alternatives.

Amazon for us is a great place to get some of the smaller treats, many are training size. They have a lot of options and you can get them at a reasonable price.

Our boys were up to over 95 Lbs- per the vet they should be around 80-85. These techniques work well for us.

I wish you luck- both for overall health and to prevent blowing out a knee.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Unfortunately we dont have anywhere we can take her.
She is pretty good with recall, that was the first thing i taught her but we dont take any chances. Cuz as with all boxers if there is a squirrel or something she is interested in it doesnt matter how many time i vibrate her collar, she just ignores me ..lol
Hmm OK ... well having "NO" or unreliable recall ... is really gonna hamper your ability to get her proper exercise???

I was lucky as when we moved to NV, Struddell got to chase Jack Rabbits across the desert! They can hit 45 mph??? If that is the case??? Then Struddell could hit 42 mph??? She never caught one on the straights, but they could not burn her off so they always cut hard right into the brush and then back down the straight and lose her in the brush .... that worked "everytime!" SHe'd make the cut and then switch from site to scent ... I'd watch the JR sail off in the distance and Struddell in the brush trying to pick up the trail??? :chair:

But 45 mph ... I don't know that's a bit much for a Boxer but ... 35 mph ... here you go. :

My point is ... if she can't ever be allowed off leash at all. Through conventional means she will never get adequate "exercise." Walking a dog which I highly stress, is more about discipline that exercise. But I get it, she can't hear and you want to keep her safe. And you've done that but ... although, you did use the proper tool ie an E-Collar.

You used it in the "Vibrate mode," many do and they are of course free to do as they see fit. But if they do ... they need to understand the ramifications of going "half in as it were." No serious trainer that knows how to properly E-Collar train a dog would use the vibrate setting??? Working level is the proper term. IE, the minimum level of stim, required to get the dog's attention (as I understand.)

And when properly trained and used, the dog "Will Recall!" That's kinda the whole point of E-Collar training. Squirrels, Rabbitt's, Cat's or Horses, it does not matter! Recall means Recall ... there is nothing to "think about!"

I did not want to ruffle feathers ... so I pretty much, let the "Vibrate Mode" only crowd have their say. But since you have done that and your still here, I say ... now we know the limits of that approach. :)

And while this bit is not the subject of your current thread ... I felt this info was important! So, I'll just repost this thread and perhaps "now" it will make more sense now???

http://www.boxerforums.com/1944641-post45.html

OK that's part one. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
OK part two ...yeah 95 lbs sounds freaking hugh!! That's about 30 lbs more than more Struddell!! But details are important, if she has some Euro in background she's gonna be a larger dog anyway.

Simplest think I can think of, is if you know of any Male Boxers ... is she as tall as they are??? If she is taller Boxer she may still be over weigh but it may be on the order of 10 to 15 pounds over weigh rather than 30 lbs???

We need pictures of her in profile as a start. She may not have the deep chest, tiny waist kinda build ... typically American Line??? If she does not ... then she might still be over weigh but not hugh. It depends on how she carriers her weigh/size.

And there is also the option of tread mill trainer her. I have never had a need to do that. But it is also a viable option, but I will note that for me ... if I did do that, I am not a fan of having to keep a leash on the dog to keep them on the treadmill, bad crap can happen, with that approach ... nuff said.

At any rate pictures please. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bella was 72 pounds when I got her at a little over 2 years old. After about 6 months and giving her abouy 70% of what she used to get, currently two cups a day, one in the morning and one in the evening she lost 10 lbs. I take her up to school with an e-collar on the weekends on vibrate and she has learned to come. My ace-in-the-hole is my shepherd and when she doesn't come immediately the shepherd herds are towards me. She also gets about a one mile walk each day.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Bella was 72 pounds when I got her at a little over 2 years old. After about 6 months and giving her abouy 70% of what she used to get, currently two cups a day, one in the morning and one in the evening she lost 10 lbs. I take her up to school with an e-collar on the weekends on vibrate and she has learned to come. My ace-in-the-hole is my shepherd and when she doesn't come immediately the shepherd herds are towards me. She also gets about a one mile walk each day.
Aww a very handsome pair you have there! And now you also understand, why a lot of Pro's use GSD's to help them train/rehab dogs ... just saying. :)

Congrats on getting her weight under control and the one mile walks are excellent but those "won't get you" reliable recall??? Aw well owners luv to do the vibrate mode thing for recall??? Pro's ... don't do that, they use working level but if that is not a viable option for an owner with a deaf dog. Then it's best to only let that dog in a confined area .... good enough I suppose?? :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These to pictures are the best i have right now.

I probably could habe her off her leash. I am fairly confident in it but i just don't want to take any chances. Main reason is because we got her for our daughters anxiety issues if anything jappened to gypsy i don't think our daughter could recover.

I have cut her back half a cup each meal and im sure now that the nice weather is here she will be running around the yard more.
She will be going to the vet next week for her shots, i will ask them about her weight and see what they suggest.

Im not sure of her background, wether she is European or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hmm, OK she is certainly on the large side. And her head looks more "Americanish" to me. And does look like her "chest goes down and her waist is tucked. But she is kinda "broad in the chest??"

It's gonna be a judgement call on your part. 65 Lbs seems to be unrealistic to me but I think 95 lbs is to much??? I think she should be most likely somewhere in the 70 to 85 lb range??? Do you have any male Boxers around for comparison??? How tall is she compared to males??? My Struddell was "clearly" smaller than any of the male Boxers I've seen but if she is taller than she will weight more.

Taking ten pounds off her is a reasonable goal. And recall aside, how is her energy level in general??? Does she move around the house and yard in general or she lay on the couch and sleep for hours??? If she can burn more calories, then she won't need to go on a "starvation diet" as it were. And sigh, I'll not harp on the "recall" thing uh ... much. I understand "keeping them safe!"

Recall has to be trained and it has to be "Proofed" with "Distractions!" Cats, Dogs, Squirrels, People or whatever it does not matter .... come means come ... nothing to think about! But I came to understand "Proofing" when I had my "Bite Risk" GSD! I could not afford for him to "blow off a recall" someone could get hurt!

I never let Struddell off leash in on neighborhoods walks. Which made no sense as I did let her run free in the desert and she returned when I called her. But she could hear and I never "proofed" her ... so I did not know, understand what she did and did not know ... live and learn. At any rate can you find a fully enclosed safe area where you can allow her to be off leash??? It's not strictly, necessary but it would be helpful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No i don't know any male boxers. The only boxer we know is her mother and we havent seen her in a while but i would assume she is around 75lbs.

She is fairly active. Probably not like most boxers but she does get to run around our yard all the time. When the weather is crap she can be pretty lazy lol but who isnt when the weather sucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts