Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harleigh had her first Boxer playdate last night. A friend of mine is neighbors with a guy who has a female Boxer puppy 2 weeks younger than Harleigh. Perfect right? I was excited to meet her. Mya was her name. She was a precious and dainty fawn with a black mask. (I forgot my camera

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sounds like normal boxer play to me! Boxers are well, boxers! They love to box when they play. I always just let Maddie play. Sometimes when she is playing with her boxer buddy, it can sound like they are going to kill each other with all the grunts and growls, but they are just playing. Occasionally I will step in if I see biting, and all I have to do is basically say "no bite" and she will stop, but most of the time it is just playing with their mouth open.
With puppies though, it can be a bit different. Was Harleigh actually biting Mya's legs, or just mouthing? I would just teach her not to bite and then use the command that she knows as no biting.
The first thing that I have always taught was that they do not want my hand in their mouth. I use the command "no bite" and that has always worked for me when the play resulted in some nipping, either with people or other dogs.
All in all, it does sound pretty normal to me!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
One thing i would like to know is how much socialization has Mya had? from her reaction it doesnt sound like too much, so that also could be part of it. I agree that you should make sure she isnt biting, and if so correct that. Most of it though seems like a typical boxer.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
southerngirls\";p=\"105726 said:
One thing i would like to know is how much socialization has Mya had? from her reaction it doesnt sound like too much, so that also could be part of it. I agree that you should make sure she isnt biting, and if so correct that. Most of it though seems like a typical boxer.
I agree...it seem that Mya hasnt had much socialization...But it really seems that Harleigh is playing like a typical boxer...and if it seems like it is getting out of hand step in lol. Remember boxer are mouthy   :lol:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She does know "No bite" when we are at home because she would puppy nip my daughter ALL the time. As she has gotten much better about it, sometimes she still bites even after I say no bite. Like she has teenager attitude. She does rebel and I see it in her eye. So I guess I can't technically say she "knows" no bite as she doesn't always obey it. What do you do when you teach "no bite"? Sometimes I grab her muzzle closed and say no bite....and sometimes tap her on the nose and say no bite. I dunno, I guess I am at a loss.

Anyways, the friends place we went too has a pit mix and is usually pretty docile. Well he told me that when Mya would come over, that she would do the same thing Harleigh was doing to her to his pit mix. So it seems as though Mya is socialable to a point. But Harleigh really layed down the law with her.

Oh and Harleigh was biting for sure. Made Mya yelp a couple times. So it seems as though Harleigh really did hurt her.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie used to do this when he was younger and just learning to play with other dogs.  He just needed more playtime experience.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And maybe thats exactly it. More playtime experience. I like to think that Harleigh is socialable to the point where she isn't sheltered. We go to puppy class and we take her to a lot of places. But I wanted to wait until Harleigh was well vaccinated before proceeding to playdates and dog parks. So this a new thing for us. Puppy classes they are on leashes and no one wants to get their puppy going there so it's normally the dogs nose to nose with us holding them back.

G

·
0 Posts
My dogs play like that.  So I will say what most people above me said and say its typical boxer play.  Mine are only 6 months apart and when they play it sounds like they are trying to kill each other..    tazmanian devil is the way to describe the noise Bear makes.  

Poor Binga has scabs all on the side of her neck from him playing so rough.  I used to worry, but I don't anymore.  They are just playing even if it sounds much worse.  Bear would kinda get scared of Binga when he was younger, but now its pretty equal...  even sometimes to where Binga runs from him.  

Just keep an eye on them when they play.  I step in if one of them yelps to let them know they went to far.  But I don't have to do that very often.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The "yelp" is pretty much the same as your question about "NO BITE!". This has worked for alot of people on here, and seems to be the method approved by trainers. I know Ashley did it for a while..and when I yelped ( well, basically made a noise loud enough that she was taken back a bit from it...may be OOOUUCCCHH, cuz that reall DID hurt! )..she would squiggle down, and look at me like I was nuts..but she DID stop.

G

·
0 Posts
AshleysMom\";p=\"105773 said:
The "( now if I could just stop the front teeth nibbling..don't know what thats about..but I need to stop it too! )
My older dog does this to me.  I rather like it, it surprised me that he never play bites, just nits my hand.  I would take the nitting any day over play biting.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ginger I think Maple and Harleigh need a play date :) lol the first few time we took her around other dogs she was trying to pounce on the little guys now she goes after the big ones and knocks them over (if she can) and will stand on them and bark in their face lol.  on Sunday we took her to the dog beach and we met a 5.5 months old boxer boy so we let Maple play with him and she definitely dominated over him even though he was at least 15 lbs. heavier than her,  my husband actually thought it was too much when they would start to growl at each other, I kept trying to tell him it's normal. but i think it'd be not normal if a man actually listened :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maplesfolks\";p=\"105887 said:
but i think it'd be not normal if a man actually listened :)
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Now THAT is funny.

Well why don't I hop on that magical helicopter Ky was referring to and head on over to Cali so the girls can play. Gosh I would LOVE that.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Stop along the way Ginger!! Ashley and I want to go too!!!..( and yes..selective hearing is what I call it..he says he is partialy deaf..yah right  :roll: )

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
yeah he says he "enjoys" his selective hearing, I say they suffer from it :)
and come on over ladies! with the puppies of course, should be fun! Ky can we borrow the helicopter please :) he he

·
Registered
913 Posts
Cool..all born within a week of each other..what a hoot THAT would be to see!! lol
and SURE he enjoys it...gets to tell you.."duh..you NEVER said that"...MEN!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously that would be so much fun with Ashley, Maple and Harleigh all being the same age playing together. Why can't us Boxer nuts live closer together?

·
Registered
381 Posts
In puppy classes when pups/young dogs play rough they'll grab the top dog, pull it off the other dog and hold it for a few seconds.  If the dog underneath sticks around and wants to play more, then all that grunting, growling, biting etc... that you were just witnessing was probably fine, both dogs were just playing.  If the dog on the bottom runs away then he's likely not appreciating the rough play.  But you almost have to do this little test because the running away part by the other dog is part of the game.  Lola and Lenny both are/were dominating type dogs in puppy class - probably because they were on the bigger end of the puppy sizes in their class.  When we play with our neighbors boxers Lola rolls over often as my neighbors dogs are bigger/stronger.  I've watched them enough that I'm confident that Lola is having fun even if she's on the bottom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts