Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pic is of a 10 month old boxer female.  The small hair loss spot that is below the collar is what the dog came in for.

Now as boxer parents are.... the owner saw this small hair loss spot, I was amazed that they even saw this, you actually had to pull the hair back to find it and it took us a few minutes to locate the spot once in the exam room.  

They thought maybe the collar was rubbing the area.  It looked like a sore with small hair loss, maybe a bug bite, possibly a tick had been there and fell off.  I did a skin scrape and it was positive for demodex (red) mange.

This was the only spot on the dog at all!  

I am posting this because there have been several post on hair loss and small spots.  As a reminder to always have them checked.....

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow Sharon, that would have been hard to spot..Thanks for posting this, as there have been several people with this problem lately....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to point this out.  Before this post I wouldn't have even worried about a spot that small, but now I will.  Looks like it is about the size of a fingernail.  Is it easier to get rid of at this stage, or does that mean that the entire coat is affected?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Are the patches usually round like that?  Here is a picture of Kiah's hair loss; mostly behind her ears and on her neck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yup...I just got Mic checked yesterday...looked like bug bite, but I didn't want to risk it...sure enough...demodex...we picked up the salve(vet needed to order it as they had run out and didn't realise it) today...we are to put it on once a day for two weeks...I didn't know what to think because the only Demodex I had seen was over the whole body...total hair loss...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeap Tug had that demodex too when he was younger and it was in small spots.  My mother in law had a min pin and his was also in very few spots.

·
Registered
110 Posts
also with Tug we had to have him dipped every one or two wks.   for a total of six times and then they were all gone.
My mother in laws vet said that the demodex was passed through the mothers milk.  So i don't know if there is any protection from keeping it from happening.  Just maybe a good strong healthy immune system.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nate487\";p=\"30902 said:
Sharon - i have no knowledge on this subject- is there anything to protect against this?

~~stephanie~~
There is really no protection other then checking with the breeder to make sure they do not have an issue with it.  It is a mite and it passes from the mother to the babies in the first few days of life.  Normally during nursing however not through the milk.  It normally takes a low immune system issue for them to show up.  In the case of the dog in the pic she was spayed and then 3 weeks later they found this tiny little spot.  It can be a single spot to covering the body. There are several ways to treat it. Dips, oral meds. salves and injections this mite lives under the skin in the hair folicle.  A dog that has had this should not be bred!

http://www.internetvets.com/articles/demodex_mange.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts