Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while now that Gaby has been having these half firm half loose stools....at the beginning of the BM everything looks normal, but at the end it gets very loose and runny, so I was wondering if I should consider changing her food or first getting a fecal test to see if there are any parasites....I haven't noticed any blood in the stool, which makes me suspect that the food I'm feeding does not agree with her...I'm feeding Medi-Cal adolescent formula....like i said her stools have looked like this for a while and I did have a fecal test done back in December, and had them check for everything including giardia and it all came back negative...I guess I just figured her stools would be firm all the way through by now but nothing has changed, so I'm wondering what I should do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
On some of the foods Kiah was on, that was what happened to her but she also had to go more often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,692 Posts
that happend to us on that new nutro...last year...she also had to go more often...we switched to chicken soup and shes been great ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to be taking Gaby for a nice long walk in town today since the weather is good and I think I'm going to stop in at pet smart and have a look at the puppy food selection...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
I think i saw someone say that the reason for the loose stool at the end of the BM is because it is further inside the dog and therefore its warmer.  It happens to Jessie sometimes too, but other then that she acts normal, playful, she's eating and drinking the normal amount
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JessiesMom\";p=\"83617 said:
I think i saw someone say that the reason for the loose stool at the end of the BM is because it is further inside the dog and therefore its warmer.  It happens to Jessie sometimes too, but other then that she acts normal, playful, she's eating and drinking the normal amount
This is a good point and something I was also wondering about, because Gaby acts normal as well, she's playful, loves her food, and drinks the normal amount as well....thanks for bringing this up JessiesMom, I forgot to mention this in my first post :D

Well I'm not gonna be buying any new foods today until I know a bit more as to whats going on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I was giving my boxer puppy food, and then when he was about 5 months I had to switch him over to adult food, and get food with rice in it because he was going loose all the time.  Now he's on Purina Adult Chicken and Rice.  The puppy food tends to have more fat and protein in it, and tends to make it go right through their system.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've noticed with Bo he also seems to have this problem; nice well formed stool at the beginning, then looser, pasty consistency stragglers at the end...but he seems fine and only poops 2-3 times a day...I have also been thinking and now planning on switching their food again to something that will be better for Jetta's gas and Bo's coat, and now that I think about it, his poopies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"83638 said:
I've noticed with Bo he also seems to have this problem; nice well formed stool at the beginning, then looser, pasty consistency stragglers at the end...but he seems fine and only poops 2-3 times a day...I have also been thinking and now planning on switching their food again to something that will be better for Jetta's gas and Bo's coat, and now that I think about it, his poopies.
You dont necessarily have to change their food to help their coat!  You can just add some vegetable/canola/fish oil to their kibble.!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hmm...I'll try the veggie oil, but there are more issues than the coat- we do add egg 3-4 times a week and peanut butter....can't do any fishy stuff...I keep all fish out of my house unless alive (food allergy to fish)...I mainly am worried about the gas (Jetta farts...at least 100 times a day and boy are they rank...this is new on the diamond...on Canidae she only farted a couple times a day).  Also, While Bo was on Candidae, he was regrowing some of the fur that he was missing from his previous life...when we switched him, it stopped growing back...so I'm thinking there is something missing in this food that I really want him to be getting...what it is, no idea, lol.  How much veggie oil should I add and how often?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
I think that is pretty normal to occur.  The main thing is if it happens every now and then or every time she goes to the bathroom.  I agree with Jessiesmom in that sometimes the end of the stool is a little softer and a problem will generally be found at the start of the stool if it comes out loose and runny....I would not change foods if she is doing well on the one she is eating and although there is a chance of picking up worms from December to now it is probably very slight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies everyone!, I did stop by pet smart, and they have quite a few good brands...Performatrin, Wellness, Natural Balance, Canidea, Eukanuba, and Hills just to name a few, not sure if my spelling is correct on all of these :lol:....I will be doing research on these foods to see what is in them and how they rate.

sharonL\";p=\"83658 said:
I think that is pretty normal to occur.  The main thing is if it happens every now and then or every time she goes to the bathroom.  I agree with Jessiesmom in that sometimes the end of the stool is a little softer and a problem will generally be found at the start of the stool if it comes out loose and runny....I would not change foods if she is doing well on the one she is eating and although there is a chance of picking up worms from December to now it is probably very slight.
Sharon, this has been happening on a regular basis, just about every time she goes to the bathroom, it's only every now and then that the whole stool is loose or runny....She generally goes poopoo 3-4 times a day, but other than that she is doing very well on the food she has now...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top