Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone had a nice Easter!

We had everyone over for dinner at our house and the big debate was could Lola chew on the ham bone or not?  It was basically me and a few others saying no against everyone else saying yes.  I didn't give it to her.  So - would she have been fine with it or is it a good thing I tossed it?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Last Easter, when Henry was just a little feller! :wink:  :D   We went to my mil for dinner.  She wanted to give Henry the ham bone.  I said I didn't think he should have it, it might make him sick.  Everybody there looked at me like I just said I was from outter space!  "What are you, nuts?!?!  He's a dog!"
OK, fine, but if he gets sick, it's your fault.

We went home that night.  About midnight the vomiting started.  He vomited all the next day.  Hubby admitted that I was right and has never given me a hard time about what NOT to give the dog again.  No appologies or any addmitance from the mil about being wrong.  Go figure! :roll:

So ya, ham bone bad! :D

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww, poor Henry!  Good to know that I was right!   :lol:   I was getting so much crap....and am still getting it this morning so I had to find people to back me up and I knew it would be someone on here!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I heard ham bones weren't good either. Something about them splintering really easily or something and cauing GI upset? I think it was ham bones but I'm not sure. Sharon would probably be able to confirm/deny that.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ya I think its the cooked ones that are worse than raw because the bone has been softened? That would be my theory behind it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Very Bad
We gave Jessie a ham bone a few months back and we woke up to a messy house. There was poop everywhere and I mean everywhere the couch, the rug, and even the bed. We had to bring her to the vet and they gave us medicine for her. So I would say there very bad.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know that when I worked for the vet every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter holday we would have sick dogs coming in for a week afterwards, always with vomiting and diarrhea.  I would strongly suggest not to.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!  So happy I didn't cave and give it to her!  

Sorry to hear about Jessie.  That must have been awful.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In general, yes, raw bones = good, cooked bones = bad.  Some raw bones are not so good, depending on a variety of factors, but cooked bones are universally a bad idea.  Ham bones are not only cooked so splinter, but if there's any meat or marrow left on them, there's a lot of fat and a lot of salt.  Even raw marrow can be problematic for dogs as it's so rich.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So glad you mentioned the actual ham meat Jennifer.  That was going to be my next question, as I'm getting calls at work "can I give Lola some leftovers"?  I said no, doesn't mean he'll listen.  We have left over corn, peas, squash, mashed potatoes, stuffing....is any of that okay to give her as a treat mixed in with her food?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
A moderate amount shouldn't be a problem - the stuffing depends on what's in it, but the veggies should be OK unless they're doused in butter and salt.  She may not digest them all entirely but that's not a big deal. ;)  Even a few bites of ham would probably be OK, you just don't want to overdo it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The first dog I owned several years ago, actually had to be taken to the vets and given an enima because of a ham bone.  I never fed ham bones again to any of my dogs after that.

live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep, I agree that Ham Bones are a no-no!  Although your dog may love it and also love the pork and ham off of it, it is really something that you should avoided.

It can have many negative effects on the digestive tract. You wouldl probably notice that your dog will have diarrhea and vomiting, if they eat pork or ham, or there might even be blood in the vomit.......It is just to rich and to salty for them.  :)  The bone itself can splinter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts