Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone.
it seems my pooch has a thing about biting hands. now it's fun at first, but he really gets into it and i want to break him of this habit before he is playing with a kid and hurts him. is hand biting a normal phase? if so, how can i stop it? cuz when i hold my hands away he wants to bark non-stop. so it seems he thinks my hand is his new chew toy.....not a good thing. help?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yes, I would definitely nip that in the bud real quick..As your pup gets older, that little nip is going to start hurting as he gets stronger...When we brought Buck home at 10 wks, he used to follow me and nip my fingers all the time..I would just lightly tap his nose and tell him "no"..After a few days he got the hint...Also try walking away, don't give him the chance to be the boss...Ignore his barking, he just wants attention. A firm "no" when he starts that up should help..Give him an acceptable chew toy when he starts to nip your fingers...By consistently doing that he'll realize soon what's ok to nip at and whats not....

The nipping is pretty common at the age by the way...Keep us posted on how he does

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Ooooh the biting stage. Yes, you have to stop that right away. You need to teach them it's not good to have a hand in their mouth. Maddie just turned two this month and she still does it. I rescued her a few months ago, and she was raised with no training at all. Now I have to undo every bad habit she has! I was taught to press down on their tongue with your thumb whenever they have your hand in their mouth, and give the command "no bite". Pretty soon they will not like your hand in their mouth. It worked like a charm when I trained a puppy, 2 days to be exact, but Maddie is a little older so I think it is taking a little longer. Good Luck with it, and welcome to the forum!  :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
my chloe is a 10 week old boxer, and she also loves to bite hands, boy she is mischieves and loves to play. i also own 2 fawn adult boxers thnat i resue. and i also own a boxer kennel, i breed and sell boxers..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deuce did that, and he didn't like that nose tap, and he hates being told bad boy.  It didn't take long, he doesn't like to have his feelings hurt!  He sits in the corner and pouts instead of your lap where he usually wants to sit!  Good luck with your baby!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts