Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Handling hot weather

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  martinc 
#1 ·
It's already unbearably hot here in Louisiana and Lula had her first throwing up incident after bumming around outside for just ten minutes late in the afternoon. My usual routine is to feed her around 5-5:30pm then we stay in the AC for the next hour and then go out for 15 minutes tops. That usually prevents Lu from throwing up food and water when it's so hot. Clearly that's not going to work this summer. What does everyone else do for their pups during the hot summer months?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I use a cooling coat/scarf if it's really hot out and Duke is panting heavily. It cools them down a lot quicker than themselves alone. Also ice on "the boys" but that only works for intact males, ice around the same area will work for females and neutered males. And I always watch to make sure he doesn't drink too much and no ice water.

We really only go out when it's cooler though for both his sake and mine. I don't like the extreme heat and he refuses to walk if it's too hot plus it's too much for him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
I only go out early in the morning with my dogs we are out at daybreak and that's it bugs are terrible here as well and they get too hot in the afternoons. I feed my dogs at 3am then we walk at 6am then they get fed again in the evening between 3 and 4pm are you feeding your dog just once a day? Its better to feed twice a day and limit activity for a good 2 to 3 hours after eating.

#10 ·
Heatstroke can occur in weather you`d have no idea could affect your dogs, be very careful. I remember valant heatstroke, its was not really that warm, breezy day, had 2L of water with me, made several stops, kept under shade most of the time...took him over 3 months to get out of it (disoriented, shifty eyes, heavy head tilt,couldnt see well), 6 to shake off the head tilt. Afterward he was very sensitive to heat.

Best thing I can recommend is hose them off for at least 15 minutes or until they are fed up (!) with it after any type of exercise in the heat. Most importantly, they know when its too much for them and give you subtle signs i.e. side eye, slowing down, prefer to walk in grass, etc the other day we ran out of water but almost home when layla spotted a depression in the grass with a good 6 inches of fresh water in it (a guy was filling a cistern from a city outlet) and she squarely let herself drop in it for the good part of 10-15 minutes until she felt ok, stood up and continued

Be aware of the signs they give you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.