Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old boxer Zeke shocked me this morning by snapping at me, more than once, because he didn’t want to get up and go out in the rain to do his business. He didn’t move as if to bite me but was nasty nonetheless. He never snaps. He’s gained a lot of weight and I put him on diet food a week or two ago and cut down on any scraps. I’m wondering if it’s related? Is he hangry?

For more background, we moved from PA to TX in July. Much smaller yard so he can’t do laps. He was still very active though until I started my new job in Oct. Now he gets walked every morning (1mile) and general play and that’s it. He seems like he put weight on very quickly but timing makes sense so just waiting for his yearly vet visit instead of making an extra visit.

After he snapped this morning I got his harness and he willingly followed me into the closed garage, where I left him for 10 minutes as a threat for the day (he lives like a king; first time I really thought about making him stay out there). He went outside after that and was sweet as pie cuddling up to me.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Uh wow! I just saw this?? And that is not the norm! How is he doing now did the Vet find anything abnormal?? And sorry for the late reply. ;(

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds like someone has been getting away with a little too much! One thing I WILL NOT tolerate is my own dog snapping at me for any reason. He sounds like he was ticked off about being made to go out in the rain and you making him go out and stay out there until his business was done was the right thing to do. I hope you gave him a sharp NO when he did that because if this is left unchallenged he will probably do it again. I don't think this is a hangry issue this is a behavior issue for sure he is challenging your authority. You may need to get some professional help with this one yes exercising more would be best for him and his weight issues but they do make calorie restricted dog foods.. You should have him checked by a Vet to make sure he is not having any arthritis issues as well dogs in pain can have attitude problems but he should never be snapping at his owner.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
He’s not hangry, he’s entitled. I would personally take him to the vet to rule out anything that might be causing him pain including a hip X-ray. If he gets a clean bill of health, it’s time to implement the NILF training (Nothing in Life is Free). That includes no more couch privileges!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Never had a snap, I have had the half hearted annoyed growl when he didn't want to get out of bed, but we put a stop to that after 1 time.

Agree with the other posters, Vet checkup 1st, if a clean bill of health. Back to basic training.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Well sadly it look like somehow we all missed this?? But hopefully it was a temporary medical condition?? Cause if it was not?? This does not sound good.

He went outside after that and was sweet as pie cuddling up to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly it seems to have stopped; I think he was going through something. He had an ear infection slightly after this and sadly he is now exhibiting signs of possible neurological issues which I posted about in a separate thread.
I did not / do not tolerate the snapping either - I stand my ground, say no very sternly, and get in his face a bit to let him know it will not be tolerated. He is trained well and is a great dog - so this was very out of character for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts