Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hank, our 13week old, weighs only 15lbs, and everything I read says he should be around 26lbs. We are feeding him Life’s Abundance All Stages after our breeder suggested it. He was eating it wet ok but recently won’t eat much more than 2 cups a day. Any suggestions on food or weight? Our last boxer was 70lbs and would eat anything but he was a rescue at 1yr so new to boxer puppies. Vet is not concerned yet, but I am.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yes he does seem on the small side to me though I am now forgetting what our guy had weighed. But I'm pretty sure it was in the 20-25 lbs range. He may just be a little slower. I have read the reviews on life abundance and the ratings are mostly 5 star. Remember he is also teething sometimes they go off their food some during this time. My dogs have gone off food for a entire day-day and a half during these times. I used treats and their food as play to get them to eat something. b For me I put their food down and I give them time to eat, sometimes longer than 20 minutes even up to an hour just depending on my schedule. Then I offer it again. Usually at that age 3x daily. When mine stopped eating one meal , I took it away and offered the same amount in two feedings and that is what I stuck with. My boxer was a bit of affinity eater too. As a young pup he ate Royal Canin boxer puppy, I think he like the shape. When he was about 5 months we switched him to Victor high energy and he did well on that. (Note our vet no longer wanted him on puppy food as he felt it could cause him to grow too fast and his growth plates need to solidify during this time). Later we would inter change their different formulas . I wouldn't necessarily switch his food unless it becomes problematic and if and when you do remember to use the 25-50-75-100 new food to old each week. That way you don't have tummy upsets. Though my vet said I could just not feed for 24 hours and do a switch with the same result, but I never did. I'd likely like to see him eating about 3-4 cups of food. Maybe he can also put some of his kibble in a toy that he can play and eat with. I do like this one. Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-a-Lot Dog Toy, you can find it on chewy. My dogs also like Instinct raw toppers, the are dehydrated. I sometimes use them as toppers of just for treats. Good luck with your pup and we love to share pictures here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he does seem on the small side to me though I am now forgetting what our guy had weighed. But I'm pretty sure it was in the 20-25 lbs range. He may just be a little slower. I have read the reviews on life abundance and the ratings are mostly 5 star. Remember he is also teething sometimes they go off their food some during this time. My dogs have gone off food for a entire day-day and a half during these times. I used treats and their food as play to get them to eat something. b For me I put their food down and I give them time to eat, sometimes longer than 20 minutes even up to an hour just depending on my schedule. Then I offer it again. Usually at that age 3x daily. When mine stopped eating one meal , I took it away and offered the same amount in two feedings and that is what I stuck with. My boxer was a bit of affinity eater too. As a young pup he ate Royal Canin boxer puppy, I think he like the shape. When he was about 5 months we switched him to Victor high energy and he did well on that. (Note our vet no longer wanted him on puppy food as he felt it could cause him to grow too fast and his growth plates need to solidify during this time). Later we would inter change their different formulas . I wouldn't necessarily switch his food unless it becomes problematic and if and when you do remember to use the 25-50-75-100 new food to old each week. That way you don't have tummy upsets. Though my vet said I could just not feed for 24 hours and do a switch with the same result, but I never did. I'd likely like to see him eating about 3-4 cups of food. Maybe he can also put some of his kibble in a toy that he can play and eat with. I do like this one. Starmark Treat Dispensing Bob-a-Lot Dog Toy, you can find it on chewy. My dogs also like Instinct raw toppers, the are dehydrated. I sometimes use them as toppers of just for treats. Good luck with your pup and we love to share pictures here.
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Light Green

Thank you for the great advice, just worried about the little guy! Want him to grow up big like our last boxer, just need to give him time. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
He’s very cute, early on with my dogs I established the regular feeding time and they got fed 3 x a day at your dogs age. I used the guide on the dog food bag and divided by 3x. I added some fat free cooked ground turkey mixed about a quarter cup mixed in to encourage to eat it all. it’s important to establish a routine of good eating habits

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Oh he is handsome and I think he is looking good. Luvmiboxers gave some good advise too, the turkey may encourage him to eat more too. Slower growth I feel is good growth. Mine was very lanky until he reached two, during that 2nd year he filled out.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I think with a home made diet you really need to know your stuff, too much calcium in puppies is not good either. It can cause skeletal issues as the puppy will grow too fast. This link has some valuable information. How to Balance Calcium In Your Dog’s Diet
Many vets today will take a pup off "puppy formula" by 5 months old because the puppy is growing faster than his skeleton and this will affect the way his growth plates form . I'm no expert but it seems a lot of what I was told when I was young is changing today, in training and foods. (I'll never catch up)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your vet is right he/she should be around 26lbs = 15kg at 13weeks old for a medium size breed dog, I think you may of been looking at 'lbs' not 'kg' and the vet was talking 'kg'. He's eating the right amount to, should be 1 1.5 cups of food a day and yours is eating 2 cup.
He might get to 70lbs fully grown but he still has 1yr and 4mths of growing till his fully grown, size and weight is different between male and females and whether the pup was the runt of the litter or not, but seriously I wouldn't worry about that yet! Just to be on the safe side get your vet to worm him if they haven't already.
Iv attached a Boxer puppy weight chart for you plus a top picture showing what a 13wk old male pup looks like and at the bottom what a 13wk female pup looks like.
Dog Collar Dog breed Carnivore Fawn
Product Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Companion dog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts