Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boxer is 10 months and has been in a crate during the night and periodically when we are home when she or we need a "time out" from the boxer puppy stage from the time we got her at 8 weeks. Aside from what we think are a couple isolated incidents of having accidents in her crate, lately (past 6 weeks or so), it has been more difficult to get her to go in her crate. She just refuses to go in. I'll start to give her just a slight push with a calm voice and she just puts the brakes on. I drop treats in it, sometimes throw her favorite toy in, turn my back to her and then she'll walk in. For the most part, she is fine once she's in. Although lately again, she has been whining more when she is in while we are home. I think she just wants to come out and hang because I'll put her dog bed on the couch next to me and she is completely content. Anyways, back to crate. Other times, she'll be whining the second we walk in the door but I hold off for a few to let her out until we get kids in, groceries put away, etc. I'll then open up her crate and she'll just sit there and stare at us. I don't know what it is with the crate. We have never treated it like a negative thing, yelled at her and then put her in, etc.

Any tips on how to get her to go in it without all the extra coaxing? I don't like to have to nudge her because I think that may come across as negative.

I had English springer spaniels growing up and I don't ever remember them being this stubborn like boxers. It's been a real adventure so far.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Put her favorite toys in the crate, or a kong filled with a treat. A filled " dentley" bone that she only gets while in crate. Our guy still goes in without trouble . He knows that is his spot when we are out or its night. He chewed up a few beds when he was younger and had to sleep on the tray but we purchased a primo pad for his crate, its vinyl or plastic but you get the tie downs whence so far he hasn't been able to grab the edges up so he doesn't chew it. Just don't give in to her when she whines and don't talk to her other then say bed when you put her in or just open it when you are thru doing things. DOn't open it ahead of time she has to learn to wait quietly .

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I kinda sorta sorta think the "issues" at hand ot about more than the "Crate??" The dog bed on the "Couch" and the dog is fine ... kinda confirms my suspicion??

I think you have other issues myself but ... that was not the question. To answer your question "directly" feed the dog in the "Crate" only! Put the food in the Crate give her 15 minutes ... If she won't go in the "Crate" she does not eat put the food away ... pretty sure ... three days at the most and that problem is solved!

But I think ... the "Crate" is not your only issue ... but I don't know???

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
She's in her teenage stage. They are always difficult during this stage, lol. My 8 month old loves her crate but there are times I have to physically place her in it. Of course she'd rather hang out with us or be free to roam about that isn't what I am requesting of her at that time.

This phase will run its course once she knows that regardless she must go in her crate when you request.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda sorta sorta think the "issues" at hand ot about more than the "Crate??" The dog bed on the "Couch" and the dog is fine ... kinda confirms my suspicion??

I think you have other issues myself but ... that was not the question. To answer your question "directly" feed the dog in the "Crate" only! Put the food in the Crate give her 15 minutes ... If she won't go in the "Crate" she does not eat put the food away ... pretty sure ... three days at the most and that problem is solved!

But I think ... the "Crate" is not your only issue ... but I don't know???
Not sure what suspicion you have. We put her bed on the couch to protect it. Thats the only way she will relax. I have tried and tried to get her to just lay on her bed on the floor but she just wont stay there. Any help on this one?

The last couple months, we have been putting the food bowl in her crate. Sometimes she immediately goes right in, other times I just give her a slight nudge and then others, I'll shut the room door or just turn around and give my back to her and she'll walk in maybe 15sec later.

Again, crate has never been labeled as a bad thing. It's also odd that she'll whine and cry when we get home to come out. I'll wait until she stops, then open the crate and she just sits there and stares at us for around a minute. Then we she finally comes out, she starts doing the spinning around happy to see you dance. So on one hand, she doesn't like going in the crate and on the other, she doesn't like coming out. Odd.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Again, crate has never been labeled as a bad thing. It's also odd that she'll whine and cry when we get home to come out. I'll wait until she stops, then open the crate and she just sits there and stares at us for around a minute. Then we she finally comes out, she starts doing the spinning around happy to see you dance. So on one hand, she doesn't like going in the crate and on the other, she doesn't like coming out. Odd.

Ok ... first "sorry" I'm here to help ... I just seem to have an "innate" ability to tick people of ... my bad. :cry:

So then it seems quirks aside, the "Crate" is not really an issue??? Let's break it down ... when you open the crate to "release her" ... what do you say??? I can and do ... go on and on but ... let's stick with that. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I personally don't use the crate for "time outs" or any sort of punishment. The crate should be a place that they feel safe and actually want to go in, if you're using it only when she's displayed undesirable behavior and she's "in trouble" she probably views it as a punishment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts