Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaxon wears a harness collar when he is tied outside and that is ultimately what we use when we walk.  He can slip the harness, but he only does it if he's out of my reach.  I was outside with him (beyond his reach) and my two boys filling up their pool and he decided he had to be at my side :)  I live too near to a busy road to not tie him.  I don't think he'd go anywhere except to visit my neighbors next door, but I also am not going to risk it.  He doesn't pull on the harness when he's just tied out within our reach, but when we go for walks he pulls until he hacks.  I know this isn't good because it could cause trachea damage.  My aunt bought some kind of "step in" harness for her mini-pin and it's too big so Jaxon will inherit it.  She says it does not cover the neck which is the reason she bought it.  I've heard lots of people using a gentle lead, what's your opinions on what types of collars you use.

Also I should say that I don't like the harness we use because the neck must be tightened while it is on Jaxon.  At it's longest it just fits over his head and it seems that to tighten it to where it won't slip is too tight.  If it had two snap buckles (one on the neck and one on the chest) it might be better.  Anyhow...sorry, I'm long winded..what's your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have known a lot of people that have used the gentle leader with great success but when we tried it on Chloe she wasn't having it and refused to walk with it on.  I used this on Chloe  Easy Walk Harness  but that was basically to help us teach her not to pull on a leash which it did the job wonderfully.  I think a lot of the anti pull harnesses are great as long as you work with the dog while using them so they don't become just a crutch. I have also heard a lot of great things about the martingale collars.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've used the Gentle Leaders(also called Halti's) on all of mine. Samson doesn't need it anymore, bless his heart..Angel and the other 2 fought them for a few days, but eventually got used to them...Some people don't like them as they look a bit like a muzzle and the ignorant will assume that you have a vicious dog..Grrr. They aren't for every one, the Martingales I have heard work really well, I believe that is what Jennifer(newcastle) uses with her boxers....The problem with a lot of harnesses is that they play to a boxers strength, his chest, so it doesn't really work well..You may have to do a bit of research to find one that works well for you....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts