Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a big fan of harnesses for boxers because of how they fit. I think harnesses are great but I have yet to find one that fits well. My husband really thinks we should get one for Athena so I told him I would look into ones that maybe fit better. Any suggestions on types? The ones I don't like are the ones where their two front legs are put in like someone putting on a pair of pants (does that make sense?) I want one that has one strap over the front and then one under her rib cage. I just wasn't sure if there was a special one just for our big chested babies that works good.

Thanks for any advice :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would just caution if you are getting a harness for walking issues, pulling, lunging, etc. you might not want to. It will only prolong the issue, and might make it worse. A harness for working dogs equates pull more.

In saying that, if your dog walks great and you are getting the harness for activities with your dog, I use ruffwear. I have no complaints, they make a ton of different styles. They have padding at the contact points where the harness would have the most pressure on the dog. Easy to use, the one I have, you slide it over the head and then its two clips at the back. I have had it for over a year, it gets used everyday, snow, rain, etc and its basically in the same condition I bought it.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
UGH ... but before I have a "Cow" ... it depends on what your harness "need" is for??? If you just to use a harness because ... no big deal.:)

A properly trained dog, can walk well on a loose leash ... can be walked with a leash and regular collar or on a "regular" harness or on nothing! The dog does not care, as they know "where" they are suppose to be in relationship to there owner. So what's the deal here??? :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally don't think we need one but hubby thinks a harness would be better for her when we are in the back yard because she can't pull out of it. We don't have a fenced in back yard and we will put her on her tether when we are outside doing yardwork, etc. That way we don't have to use her leash and she can be right with us. It wouldn't be used daily and her collar would be what we used for walks.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
OK ... since no feed back here ... I'll go ahead and prognosticate ... anyway. :)

Your reason for the why of the "Harness" is pretty clear. You want to work in the yard and you don't have a fenced in back yard! Frankly .... that situation would just suck!

But I get it. And for what you need a Rough wear is a good harness but a bit of overkill?? You can find a plain harness at "PetCo" most likely??? No grab handle, no padding it would just be a H'Harness, as I would term it. A band across the chest area and a smaller band for the waist. The leash or "Stake Out" would clip to the top front top of the harness. Pretty much no frills and "problem solved" ... kinda???

But the "Stake Out" ... is a Band Aide, approach. I bought one just cause but I only used it once. With my Band Dawg while I was in our fenced in back yard ... and doing yard work. I will say ... he really did not care that much ... but he was not happy??? I was distributed enough ... that I never used it again.

I have learned a lot of "stuff" since those days and what I have found is the "Best Preparation for the unexpected.... is a "well trained dog!

No matter how well we try ... sometimes "Crap Happens??" And if it does "Plan B" is gonna be having a well trained dog!

So that said ... yes ...you can do the Harness and the Stake Out and just let the dog bang against the end of the "tie out and call it a day.

That will solve your problem ... but your dog is not learning anything??? Save for I can go this far and no further, cause of the leash/chain???

You could settle for that ... and call it day. Buttt ... I think you can do better??? If you have no fenced in back yard?? Then most likely you are used to "constant vigilance anyway?? That can work but it get's old ... I would imagine?? You can/could take some of the pressure off yourself by .... training him "Boundary Limitations! "

Doing this ... "would be" a "theory" on my part! But I feel the science behind it is sound! You can use the harness and the stake out as " a safety back up! And create a"virtual fenced" in area" using a garden hose!" :)

And the command you, want/need to train are "Place " and "On The Lawn!" I'd be happy to explain further if you'd like. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not a big fan of harnesses for boxers because of how they fit. I think harnesses are great but I have yet to find one that fits well. My husband really thinks we should get one for Athena so I told him I would look into ones that maybe fit better. Any suggestions on types? The ones I don't like are the ones where their two front legs are put in like someone putting on a pair of pants (does that make sense?) I want one that has one strap over the front and then one under her rib cage. I just wasn't sure if there was a special one just for our big chested babies that works good.

Thanks for any advice :)
You could look for a tracking/protection harness. Most are leather or biothane with padding on the chest area. I'll PM you the one I use for protection work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. In the end, she will be trained to not leave the yard like our other two boxers but until we can complete that training, I need something to keep her safe for now. While she is pretty good at listening to us at 4 months old, shes still easily distracted lol the good thing is that she likes to be with her people so i like this hands free option for at least this summer and by next summer, we should be much better. I don't normally like harnesses for how they rub in certain areas, especially on boxers and their big chests.

I will take a look at your suggestions. bte2, i am curious of your suggestion as well.

Thank you very much for the input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We use Puppia harness for both of our boxes and they are great. They fit well and the sizes come in all different ranges. Our 85 lb 10 month old male has worn them since he was 8 wks at 12 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts