Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered the L/XL Hi & Light harness from Ruffwear. My girl is 33" at the longest part of her chest. The harness fits well there but the rear straps are at least 4' from being able to buckle. We know boxers are all chest but she doesn't taper off much towards the rear. Has anyone found a harness that fits boxers well or is there a breed specific harness out there. Thanks for help ahead of time.
there?
bohdi.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi. I used a Modern Icon harness - because my little escape artist could slip straight out of all the other ones I tried.... she wears it while I'm riding the trails.

Modern Icon is really expensive and quite heavy. I think they are made for service dogs.

The quality is amazing and she hasn't even gotten close to slipping out - because it's so adjustable.

Not sure if you're based in US. It is an American brand so do take a look. But like I say they are very expensive but priceless if you have a dog that can escape and want to keep it safe.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Really the ruffwear doesn't fit? I have had one for years for bike riding, I tend to leave it a little loose on the back end to prevent chafing. Probably not advisable though if she is good at escaping. My guy is 35 1/2 at the chest

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it’s a one off but I maxed out the front and back straps and the rear didn’t even come close. What model do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Uh Oh ... looking at your girl's gorgeous but short and stubby face. She's a Euro and most likely "Ruffware," well no one really makes a distinction between Euro and American Line Boxer's??

I can almost guarantee that, Ruffware harness you have would, fit an AL Boxer just fine. As the AL Boxer's as a general rule tend to have deep chest and tiny waist. Pretty much that simple. Most likely there site just says Boxer??? No discernment between American and Euro's???

But not really there fault lot's of Boxer in this country don't know there is "another "Boxer," either." Uh of course we do on here. :)

But hey at this point it is what it is. You could try and return it, depending on when you got it?? And or explain the issue and perhaps maybe they will care to make it good for you and make an adjustment in there "Boxer," recommendations???

Or if you have an actually shoe repair shop near you ... hmm that is still open??? You could ask them if they can cut and stitch in an extension, so it can fit properly??

And failing that ... if the one you have look's like this?? :

Ironically enough "now," Kong (yep the toy guy's) make a Harness and it look's just like that! I saw them at Petco or Pet'smart?? I get them mixed up but the advantage to going there for a harness is you can test fit the harness on the spot.
Just an idea and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Maybe it’s a one off but I maxed out the front and back straps and the rear didn’t even come close. What model do you have?

I got mine about 3 1/2 years ago, dont remember the model but I just looked at the site and the closest match looks like the Front Range.

Did they possibly send you the wrong size, because it looks like both the Front Range and Hi & Light both go up to 42" which should leave plenty of room. I do know the straps are a pain in the butt, it took me awhile to adjust them, they don't make it easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a possibility. The box says L/XL but that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what is in the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. She’s a pretty girl
She is half and half. Mother is American, father is German. Got it directly from
them so returning it won’t be an issue. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems I have the wrong type. Both the straps are behind the neck. Yours has one in front. Good looking boy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It seems I have the wrong type. Both the straps are behind the neck. Yours has one in front. Good looking boy.

Thanks. Yeah he is euro/american like your girl. Your girl is also very good looking. 👍

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

Both straps behind the neck?? That sounds strange?? Can you post a picture of your dog in it?? I used a full body harness on my GSD (Wobble Dog) and it had straps around the neck around the chest and across his rear. It had handles front and back. and I had to use a couple of D Clip's to get the front part to attach to the rear half. GSD's are seriously "long dog's!??

We needed it to help me, lift him up into places that we really should not have been going when out and about on desert outing's. The thing was a PIA to figure out the first couple of times?? But it worked great!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
This is the only pic I could find of him wearing it. He was a year old and filled out a lot since then and it still fits after adjusting the straps. Good luck.

View attachment 135728
Is he a 50/50?? He's got a pretty broad (Big) head and a tiny waist?? Tiny feet also, but that seem's to be a universal Boxer thing?? :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Is he a 50/50?? He's got a pretty broad (Big) head and a tiny waist?? Tiny feet also, but that seem's to be a universal Boxer thing?? :)
He is a bit bigger than most boxers we run into. Not necessarily weight, since I have seen plenty of overweight boxers, lol, but bone structure. Especially the front end. Wider head, shorter nose, thicker neck, and the skin around the face and neck are not as tight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My apologies to all. I didn’t see the adjustment straps that were tucked away. Not one of my brightest moments. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Stay safe and healthy.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
There you go! lol At least you figured it out. I was sure they sent the wrong size cause it wouldn't make sense a 42" wouldn't fit on a 33" boxer.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
My apologies to all. I didn’t see the adjustment straps that were tucked away. Not one of my brightest moments. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Stay safe and healthy.

LOL ... well it's often the "detail's," that catch us out?? But as they say measure twice and cut once ... or is it cut once cuz it look's about right?? Hmm still not working... Plan B buy more wood and try again! At any rate glad you got it figured out! :)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
He is a bit bigger than most boxers we run into. Not necessarily weight, since I have seen plenty of overweight boxers, lol, but bone structure. Especially the front end. Wider head, shorter nose, thicker neck, and the skin around the face and neck are not as tight.
He look's a lot my friend's Boxer , Gideon. I think Gid is about 85 lbs?? Big head and tiny waist also and he would have towered over my Struddell and she was a solid 65 lbs but the girl's are kinda on the tiny size anyway!

I'd luv to have a Euro/American Boxer but finding one in White ... is a but of a push I would imagine and sigh I already have a girl (my first choice for a Boxer) so there is that ...

Ah well, I have my hands full now ... the old "have one well trained dog before adding a second" ... is "apparently," a pretty high standard?? But we are making progress. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts