Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the product skin eze for their allergic boxer?
Would like some feedback before I purchase.
:discuss:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guy is on a natural raw diet already.
I was just wondering if this product would help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, raw diet and allergies. When I rescued him, he was a mess! Ear, eye, skin infections, yeast infections. He was eating a kibble diet. At the time, the vet said the food was probably causing the allergies and we tried switching it up to a prescription diet and he was on antibiotics(oral and cream) steroids, ear and eye drops.
Still had issues. It was during some research(3 years ago now) that I switched over to raw. He did get remarkably better but we still struggle with the issues.
Finally had him allergy tested by a vet from the University of Guelph and it came back as all environmental. No food allergies whatsoever.
Trees, grasses, pollens, moulds etc. I thought it was possibly seasonal allergies but he suffers year round.
All the suggestions they gave me to help him we have abided by but he still scratches and chews at himself. I too am at a loss and I feel so bad for him.
Although he hasn't had any secondary infections from the scratching and biting, it just so frustrating to try and get this in check.
I thought maybe if someone had tried the skin eze regime, what their thoughts and feedback might be.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
Have you tried just rinsing him off with water every day to remove the allergens?
Or wiping him down with a wet cloth?

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
There was a thread on here awhile ago but I can't find it. It coincides with the advice above but it recommended a bath several times a week with a "leave on residue solution" ie dog shampoo. :)

I used a Tea Tree oil based doggy shampoo with Rocky my GSD. He was pretty bad and I was tired of the "Kenalog" shots for him. Once a year was not so bad but "something happened?? And he was going crazy with itching last year???

So a bath three times a week and it did not stop it but it helped a great deal. There is also "Coconut" oil and "Fish Oil" but unless it's a pet specific "Fish Oil" you have to supplement it with Vitamin E and Vitamin E can be toxic.

Someone can tell you how to use "fish Oil" safely I'm sure.

Coconut oil link:
http://www.boxerforums.com/food-tips-diet-info/148090-oils-coconut-salmon-sardine.html

but the baths and the wipe downs in-between could not hurt. I know having a dog that is "suffering" with allergies sucks big time. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried just rinsing him off with water every day to remove the allergens?
Or wiping him down with a wet cloth?
Sure have. Not the rinsing off, wiping him down. Was suggested by the vet as well.
May try a quick rinse off though.
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a thread on here awhile ago but I can't find it. It coincides with the advice above but it recommended a bath several times a week with a "leave on residue solution" ie dog shampoo. :)

I used a Tea Tree oil based doggy shampoo with Rocky my GSD. He was pretty bad and I was tired of the "Kenalog" shots for him. Once a year was not so bad but "something happened?? And he was going crazy with itching last year???

So a bath three times a week and it did not stop it but it helped a great deal. There is also "Coconut" oil and "Fish Oil" but unless it's a pet specific "Fish Oil" you have to supplement it with Vitamin E and Vitamin E can be toxic.

Someone can tell you how to use "fish Oil" safely I'm sure.

Coconut oil link:
http://www.boxerforums.com/food-tips-diet-info/148090-oils-coconut-salmon-sardine.html

but the baths and the wipe downs in-between could not hurt. I know having a dog that is "suffering" with allergies sucks big time. :(
It does suck! We already use the coconut oil. Also use a vitamin e cream on his "hotspots." It just seems like those spots get all cleared up and then he starts digging at another place on his body and develops new ones.
He is bathed 3-4 times weekly with a medicated shampoo and anti-itch spray.
I will look into the fish oil as well.
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I purchased this product called "Licks" for skin and allergy. It is an anti-inflammatory remedy for itchy skin. All natural.
And of course......Charlie gets hives from it!
I am so frustrated! Grrrrrrrr.

·
Super Moderator
7,114 Posts
So I want to say this this first... Raw is not the magical end all and be all for dogs with skin/allergy issues. It can however help in regards to food allergies as well as decrease some environmental allergies due to helping repair and boost the immune system. However, raw can only help so much with environmental allergies.

If you are raw feeding, I would cut out chicken if you are feeding it.

There is nothing herbal or magical on the market. Since you did do allergy testing, you can try and remove those allergens from the environment but many times it seems they are allergic to life, lol. Plus allergies can change and evolve so it's really a losing battle. I understand you don't want to do prednisone long term, have you tried Vanectyl-P? It's low dose prednisone (2mg) but it also contains antihistamines. I have a dog who manages his allergies on this and is down to a maintenance dosage of 1 pill daily. He has been on it for 6 yrs and they do annual blood tests to make sure his organ function is normal. I also have a dog who takes Atopica and I have read of success with Apoquel.

The boxer breed itself is very allergy prone. It is suggested that up to 25% of boxers will have allergies. The daily rinses are a good idea, if he is a foot locker I would include a foot soak. I wouldn't use any shampoo products, instead I would fill the bathtub with 3-4 inches of warm water, 3 cups of ACV and 1 cup of Epsom salts. Use a cup and pour it over him for 10 minutes. Do not rinse him, just towel dry him.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I want to say this this first... Raw is not the magical end all and be all for dogs with skin/allergy issues. It can however help in regards to food allergies as well as decrease some environmental allergies due to helping repair and boost the immune system. However, raw can only help so much with environmental allergies.

If you are raw feeding, I would cut out chicken if you are feeding it.

There is nothing herbal or magical on the market. Since you did do allergy testing, you can try and remove those allergens from the environment but many times it seems they are allergic to life, lol. Plus allergies can change and evolve so it's really a losing battle. I understand you don't want to do prednisone long term, have you tried Vanectyl-P? It's low dose prednisone (2mg) but it also contains antihistamines. I have a dog who manages his allergies on this and is down to a maintenance dosage of 1 pill daily. He has been on it for 6 yrs and they do annual blood tests to make sure his organ function is normal. I also have a dog who takes Atopica and I have read of success with Apoquel.

The boxer breed itself is very allergy prone. It is suggested that up to 25% of boxers will have allergies. The daily rinses are a good idea, if he is a foot locker I would include a foot soak. I wouldn't use any shampoo products, instead I would fill the bathtub with 3-4 inches of warm water, 3 cups of ACV and 1 cup of Epsom salts. Use a cup and pour it over him for 10 minutes. Do not rinse him, just towel dry him.
No chicken.
I haven't tried the Vanectyl. Perhaps I will try that. I just worry about the prednisone long term effects. But as you say, if the annual blood tests are normal then it shouldn't be worrisome.
We do foot soaks as well.
I think I will put the medicated shampoo aside for now and try your suggestion of the AVC and Epsom salts.
I wonder if I could even mix up some of the 2 as well and put into a spray bottle for in between baths.
Thanks for all your suggestions! Some days it feels like a losing battle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So we did the AVC/Epsom salts bath. It really did seem to help! He is not a huge fan of his baths although he is good while in there. It's just a struggle to get him in.
He did seem to itch less during the night. I am going to do again tonight. Just don't want to overdo it though. Any suggestions on how often I should be doing the bathing?
The vet said 3-4 times a week when I used the medicated shampoo but since we are aren't going to use it for a while, to see how this new mixture goes, would 3-4 times a week still suffice?
His coat also seemed to have an extra shine afterwards. Not that it was bad before but it really seemed to bring out his stripes. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts