Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that your house smells like animals? My sister came to town this weekend and came by the house and the first words out of her mouth were" oh your house stinks, it smells like animals" now i wasnt exactly sure how to take this. I mean i love my girls and my two cats, but i have never had a "smell" to my home. I am one of those extremely paranoid people that have just about every kind of disinfectent and smelly good candle/plugin/air effect machine just to make sure my home has a pleasant aroma. I am constantly cleaning and picking up and have steam cleaned the carpets every time there was an accident in the house. I just dont know if it was wrong to be kinda offended.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does your sister have animals?  If not, it's possible that she's just extremely sensitive to the smell.  And while it sounds like you're doing everything humanly possible to keep your house smelling fresh, most people don't really smell their own homes the way others do.  If it were me, I'd ask a good friend for their honest opinion.  

As for should you be offended?  Well, heck yes!  LOL - even if she's right and it does smell like animals, it still hurt your feelings to be told as much. :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
my hubby says that to me...and i do everything you do....scrub the carpets, light candles, spray lysol and other good smelling things. I feel it is rude for someone to say that to you. I have gone to peoples houses before that smelled horrible and i dont say anything because it is rude and could hurt feelings

·
Registered
172 Posts
TamiNChance\";p=\"28032 said:
I have gone to peoples houses before that smelled horrible and i dont say anything because it is rude and could hurt feelings
Same here.  Several years ago, I stopped in Austin to visit a woman I had gotten to know through another online forum.  I was supposed to spend the night with her after we spent a night on the town, but when I got to her house the stench from her six dachsunds was soooooooooooo thick (they used the living carpet for their toilet on a daily basis) that I literally gagged and nearly threw up.  There was absolutely NO WAY I could have spent the night in the house, so when we got there after an evening of alcoholic revelry, I said "Ya know, I think I'm going to hit the road and try to make a little headway so I don't have so far to drive tomorrow."  (I was heading back Colorado.)  I was hoping to find a cheap motel on the outskirts of town, but misjudged where the "outskirts" ended and didn't find a place to sleep til 9:00 am the next morning.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I do all those things too and I know that sometimes the house smells like animals but I find that it is only when the house has been shut up and have not been able to open windows.  For some reason it doesn't seem to happen as much in the winter.  So (just guessing here) maybe it is the heat and humidity that causes it to linger.  I also think that some animals have stronger smells; when my sisters golden stayed with me (really hot that week) there was a much stronger smell in the house. I only smell it when I first come in the house for just a minute and then I can't smell it anymore.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I actually have never had anyone comment that my house smelled bad, on the contrary, I had a wine tasting party in Calif once, invited some of my co-workers, some of the ex's and mutual friends. The comment I got, was how surprised they were how nice my house smelled, said you could never tell that we had 2 dogs inside, plus the fact that I smoke as well...I do think some people are very sensitive to smells and that very well could be why your sister noticed anything..I burn a lot of candles, use room odor neutralizers, you name it..I do notice odors more as the house is closed up due to the heat, but it isn't doggie odors I smell, never have actually...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I also have never had anyone comment on my house being stinky. I am like you Andrea..paranoid about my house ever getting that doggy smell and I am forever cleaning with all sorts of cleaning products. I even spray my whole house down once a week with Natures Miracle. I am always asking people who come in my home if it smells and a friend of mine laughed and told me you house always smells better then mine and I have no pets. But trust me if someone said my house stunk I too would of been offended! I agree with what Anna said if she doesn't have animals maybe she is just highly sensitive to the smell. Maybe it's just me being biased and all but I have been around a lot of different dogs and boxers don't seem to get that doggy odor. I hardly ever give Chloe a bath and she never stinks. ((hugs)) I know hearing that must of been hard and hurtful but don't let it get to you. Maybe she just isn't a animal person??

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do all you can to maintain an odor free and clean environment then I'd tell anyone coming into my home that my dogs live here, you are the guest.  If they don't like it then no one is forcing them to stay or to come back.

BUT since it's your sister she probably felt comfortable enough to tell you how she felt.  I wouldn't get mad at her, but instead tell her what you do and ask her if she has any other suggestions.

If she's not a dog person then no matter what you do she'll always find something to find offense with.  If it's not the smell then it will be the hair or the toys....etc.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Nope, I hate the smell of dog, and I have two of them.   I just got my carpets all shampooed and cleaned and it smells wonderful in here.   My dogs dont have that dog order, and as long as I pick up after them, and clean constantly, I have a dog order free house.

Its funny because my sister had two boxers, and my mother says her house always smells like dog, and mine does not.   ha ha.  I also use alot of plug ins and candles when we are home.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't know your sister or why she would say something to hurt your feelings.  You know your house is clean, I would straight up ask her what she means by that and clear the air (no pun intended)!  That was a rude remark and I'd call her on it.  Obviously she has no problem being blunt.  Dogs simple have odors just as people do, if she doesn't like it, too bad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yeah i agree with the others even if it did smell you should'nt say it! i have a very judgemental sister myself - it took me a long time to realize that its my life not hers and it does'nt bother me what she thinks anymore!! im sure smells great!! and she obviously is not a wonderfulanimal parent like yourself!

~~stephanie~~

·
Registered
343 Posts
the windows are usually open here, and I almost always have candles lit, and I have never got a comment on how it smells, but....smells good to me lol

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well she has a cat, but she isnt a dog person really. I talked with my best friend (since i was paranoid because lord knows i dont want to be THAT person :) ) and asked her. She is the bluntest person i have ever known and she will tell ya like it is, even if it isnt what you want to hear!! She dog sits for us when we out of town and she said not once has my house ever had a smell to it! THANK GOD!! I am chalking it up to the fact that my sis realy doesnt like dogs, and the fact that she doesnt really think I should have them.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well then, that answers that! My mother was never a dog person and any time she visited, especially when we were in Ireland I waited for that comment, but it never came, so I knew I was doing something right at least...Feel better now Andrea? It still was a nasty comment, regardless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts