Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Gladstone has developed an eye wart thing. We took him to his primary vet and our vet was very kind but also honest in that he hasn’t seen something like this before. He consulted with a dog opthomologist and we have an appt, but it’s not till Sept 22nd. Our vet is having us send updated pictures every other day to monitor because it is growing very fast. He said the opthomologist said it didn’t look urgent at this point and thought it may be a squamous papilloma.
It started on the 19th and was super tiny and now you can see from the picture it’s growing.

If your dog had it, what treatment did you do? How long did it last? How big did it get?

It doesn’t seem to bother Gladstone at this point, he’s his usual happy, hyper self.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ectropion is a common condition of dogs where the lower eyelids droop or roll out. It can affect one or both eyes. It is often inherited and has a strong tendency to occur in dogs with loose droopy skin. However, the mass that appears to be in the lower corner of his eye is very disconcerting. I would be concerned it's a tumor. Most are benign, still needs treatment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey All,
Just posting an update as it’s been a couple weeks. Gladstone’s eye mass turned out to be a papilloma tumor. I guess it’s a bit different than a viral papilloma. Gladstone had eye surgery today, and they removed the mass and reconstructed his lower tear duct. He is now sporting his super fashionable cone. He’s quite miserable, but hopefully ten days goes by quick.

I feel like the eye doctor did a really good job with his eye and you can barely tell there was a mass or any surgery done on his eye at all.

The doctor did say she didn’t feel his ectropian eye needed any surgery. She said it was small and he would grow into it and she wasn’t worried.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you got that awful thing off your pretty boys eye! Did the Vet say that would come back? I hope not. Here's to quick healing!
I am very happy too. The picture I posted of the thing wasn’t even at its biggest. It was nasty, it was like a brain growing out of his eye. 🤢 thankfully our vet was keeping a close eye on it and was finally like “yeah, he needs to go in sooner” and got the eye doctor to get us in faster.

Regarding if it will come back or not: She is hoping that it won’t because she actually removed the whole tissue (I might be using the wrong word) that had the mass. There’s always a small chance it could be cancer and that will be a different ball of wax we are dealing with. She gave us two options for removal, one was to have it scraped off and chyrotherapy to freeze the cells that might still be remaining. But that put him at risk for regrowth or the second option was to remove the whole thing and reconstruct the lower tear duct. It was more expensive but decreased the likelihood of it growing back because the piece that had it, is completely gone.

So we are hoping it’s not cancer and gone for good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts