Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my best little buddy, Milo, about 4-5 months ago. He's an amazing little guy, supposedly 3 years old when I got him, easily the most athletic boxer I've ever had. I'm going camping this coming weekend in South Salem, NY. I've been toying around with the idea of bringing him as he's usually happiest when he's with me, he's LOVE the hiking all weekend, but the cold temp for two nights are obvious the one concern. If I do bring him I'll obvious make sure he has a decent coat, but his paws and ears would also be a concern. We will have fires going at night when the temp likely will be sub-freezing, he would be sleeping in my tent with me, and if I do bring him I'd likely try to bring a blanket or bed of some sort to separate him further from there cold ground while in the tent...

Would love feedback as I'm not sure if this is just a bad idea all around or something worth trying,
thanks ahead of time!

(the two beautiful boxers in my pictures are Lucky and Star who are both gone in flesh sadly, but with me in spirit still)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
First Welcome Aboard. And to your question well of course he want's to go with you. But your his guardian and you have to make the choices as to what is in his best interest, which you are doing. :)

Boxers certainly tend to luv the snow. And can tolerate 32 degrees or so for about 30 minuets or so as long as they are moving. I consider that T shirt or light sweat shirt weather. We stayed out and till I got cold about 30 minuets or so. My hands would get cold almost immediately but I could stand it for minuets or so.

I grew up in San Jose, Ca where I got my first dogs and Boxers and out there for the most parts the temperatures averaged 70 degrees for the most part. Perfect for short haired dog's. Struddell did not see Snow until we moved to NV in 2003. And she Luv'd it, under the conditions I listed.

But what she did not like were high wind's and rain. She would actually try and doge the rain drop's! And as fast as she was ... that was never gonna work. So really short walks on rainy day's!

And then came Rocky my first Working line GSD (rescue foster fail) in 2005. I joined The Germanshepardforum.com to learn more about these dog's?? And one of the term's I would see thrown about was "All Weather Dog??" So what the heck does that mean?? Search and Rescue dog's among other things and S&R stuff is done in well all weather.

Well we had a really brutal winter for about two week's straight it never got above 13 for two weeks straight. Struddell was confined to the backyard while Rocky and I would go out, in the absolute worst of winter conditions for hours on end ... just walking.

I wore boots, gloves a snowmobile suit and a hat. Rocky wore his collar! Now I did test him first before the weather got that brutal. Now before conditions got that bitterly cold. We had our first test?? High wind's and blinding rain! And there was "Zero," chance Stru was going out in that crap ... are you kidding me?? I open the front door for her ... she observed the conditions and turned around and went back to the sofa, let me know when spring is back, thank you very much. :)

Rock on the other hand marches straight out the door in the wind and the rain and waits for me?? I was stunned but OK I geared up and out we went! And as the temp's got colder and colder ... nothing changed. Winter did not phase him and neither did the summers. That thick fur we were always grooming and vacuuming up, protected him from both heat and cold.

But Boxer's not so much and Boxer's have tiny feet. So "if," he goes with you?? Boot's would be a good idea and at first ... he is not gonna like them, I would imagine??

But a few years we did have a Boxer that moved to Alaska, sadly he passed shortly there after and Jessmike, disappeared shortly thereafter also. :(

But in sub degree temps "Aspen," was ready to Rock!! And while my Rocky was ready to go in the cold at the drop of a hat, Aspen took a bit more time I would imagine?? But here he is all geared up! :)

Aspen.jpeg

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Hmm not sure why it posted the pic twice?? But I also wanted to say sorry for your losses, were they both girl's???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Really depends on your dog too. I know I would have no issue with my guy. He has never worn any type of clothing and absolutely loves cold weather. I've had to come inside a bunch of times because I was too cold and he just wanted to keep going.:)

But as a general rule yeah you have to be careful.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Yeah I get what your saying and Boxer's you know. Pigged head and stubborn, is a trait however and it can carry over in many way's, apparently??

And in "extreme," weather conditions ... it's up to us to make the call when enough is enough?? I don't think most of them will quit?? A total lack of "common sense," for the most part??

It's up to us to decide when enough is enough?? My Stru, would chase bunny's in 90 degree temps at 4500 ft all day long?? See a bunny chase a bunny ... "it's what she did." I had to make the call to call it a day. As she would not quit?? I gauged her level of exhaustion by how far her tongue hung up when she was panting?? Kind of vague I suppose but she never suffered "heat Stroke!" :)

The wind and rain was easy. She did not like either! Light rain she tried to dodge but after failing to dodge rain drop's she gave in and off we went. :)

High wind's, however was just a solid "No!" Not even going to try?? You go for a walk "Dad," and let me know how it works out … when you get back?? The "cold," I don't really know what her limits were?? I decided, when to call it quits, at 32 degrees on outing's ... I wore light clothing and when it got to be to much for me ... we went home.

She never seemed to notice the snow and call much?? But not her call, it was mine. And I always errored on the side of caution in the cold.

My first winter walk with "Rocky," WL GSD ... LOL it was "amazing!" The winds were howling and the rain was pounding and it was freezing, nothing out there but snow and ice!! And no one in there right mind woulkd be "Walking there dog in that weather??"

But hey whatever I'll let him out and see what he does?? LOL it was epic ... howling wind and pounding rain?? And he not even notice it?? he stood in the mist of it, wagged his tail and wondered what was taking me so long to join him for the fun?? I just laughed kind of stunned and got ready to join him ... "All Weather Breed," the real freaking deal! I was stunned!

And the really cool part (no pun intended) was that on our bad weather walk's ... we had "Zero," loose dog encounters! Cuz you know, no one in there right mind ... would be out in weather like that!

Stru or Marilyn were not happy when we would go out, in weather like that?? But that kinda, weather crazy was how we rolled!

But you have to "know your dog," and in extreme cold and a Boxer out and about for extended time? I would be really concerned about there feet?? Frost bite, ... and Boxers do have "Tiny Feet," and damage could be done before they would be willing to let you know?? IE ... pig headed and stubborn, it's up to the owner to call, when enough is enough.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I put coats on my dogs I bought some nice ones for my previous Boxers and I am reusing them now they are fleece on the inside and nylon on the outside fit like a horse blanket work very well when they are running ect and have not torn and they do not move around. I usually walk my dogs early mornings sometimes the temps are in the 20's or below and we are fine but there is usually no snow. I would be concerned with the camping thing about the ears and feet in the cold snow all the time I have never put boots on my dogs but we stay outside usually for about an hour and they are not bothered but all the time I would be careful about warming him up. It also depends on his natural coat as well my current dogs are mostly Euro and have longer coats my American bred dogs had very thin coats and got colder a lot faster.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First Welcome Aboard. And to your question well of course he want's to go with you. But your his guardian and you have to make the choices as to what is in his best interest, which you are doing. :)

Boxers certainly tend to luv the snow. And can tolerate 32 degrees or so for about 30 minuets or so as long as they are moving. I consider that T shirt or light sweat shirt weather. We stayed out and till I got cold about 30 minuets or so. My hands would get cold almost immediately but I could stand it for minuets or so.

I grew up in San Jose, Ca where I got my first dogs and Boxers and out there for the most parts the temperatures averaged 70 degrees for the most part. Perfect for short haired dog's. Struddell did not see Snow until we moved to NV in 2003. And she Luv'd it, under the conditions I listed.

But what she did not like were high wind's and rain. She would actually try and doge the rain drop's! And as fast as she was ... that was never gonna work. So really short walks on rainy day's!

And then came Rocky my first Working line GSD (rescue foster fail) in 2005. I joined The Germanshepardforum.com to learn more about these dog's?? And one of the term's I would see thrown about was "All Weather Dog??" So what the heck does that mean?? Search and Rescue dog's among other things and S&R stuff is done in well all weather.

Well we had a really brutal winter for about two week's straight it never got above 13 for two weeks straight. Struddell was confined to the backyard while Rocky and I would go out, in the absolute worst of winter conditions for hours on end ... just walking.

I wore boots, gloves a snowmobile suit and a hat. Rocky wore his collar! Now I did test him first before the weather got that brutal. Now before conditions got that bitterly cold. We had our first test?? High wind's and blinding rain! And there was "Zero," chance Stru was going out in that crap ... are you kidding me?? I open the front door for her ... she observed the conditions and turned around and went back to the sofa, let me know when spring is back, thank you very much. :)

Rock on the other hand marches straight out the door in the wind and the rain and waits for me?? I was stunned but OK I geared up and out we went! And as the temp's got colder and colder ... nothing changed. Winter did not phase him and neither did the summers. That thick fur we were always grooming and vacuuming up, protected him from both heat and cold.

But Boxer's not so much and Boxer's have tiny feet. So "if," he goes with you?? Boot's would be a good idea and at first ... he is not gonna like them, I would imagine??

But a few years we did have a Boxer that moved to Alaska, sadly he passed shortly there after and Jessmike, disappeared shortly thereafter also. :(

But in sub degree temps "Aspen," was ready to Rock!! And while my Rocky was ready to go in the cold at the drop of a hat, Aspen took a bit more time I would imagine?? But here he is all geared up! :)

View attachment 136258 View attachment 136258
Thanks for sharing! If there was snow on the ground I think that'd be a no go for my guy Milo anyway. I have no doubt he'd be fine walking hiking in it, especially with boots, but this would be me and him outdoors for 48hrs straight, fires available to warm, and tent to sleep in, etc... GREAT PIC of your boxer all dressed in winter gear by the way! haha. I am leaning towards taking him, he has a light jacket, but I'm likely going to look into acquiring some more substantial cold weather gear, I did buy boots for one of my other boxers, but that was a shot lived endeavor, she never would have enjoyed a cold weather camping trip, but I do think Milo might!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm not sure why it posted the pic twice?? But I also wanted to say sorry for your losses, were they both girl's???
Thank you, Star was the female(standing slightly behind Luck in the picture, Lucky was the male). The were the absolute best, not that I'm biased ha. Adopted them together after the were found abandoned in Tenn. They were believed to be mother and son, and I've never in my life sen a bond as strong as those two. ARVC and DCV took Lucky's life when he was only about 5 1/2, four years after me and my ex wife adopted him. Star passed away a little under 18 months ago at about 11 or 11 1/2

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah I get what your saying and Boxer's you know. Pigged head and stubborn, is a trait however and it can carry over in many way's, apparently??

And in "extreme," weather conditions ... it's up to us to make the call when enough is enough?? I don't think most of them will quit?? A total lack of "common sense," for the most part??

It's up to us to decide when enough is enough?? My Stru, would chase bunny's in 90 degree temps at 4500 ft all day long?? See a bunny chase a bunny ... "it's what she did." I had to make the call to call it a day. As she would not quit?? I gauged her level of exhaustion by how far her tongue hung up when she was panting?? Kind of vague I suppose but she never suffered "heat Stroke!" :)

The wind and rain was easy. She did not like either! Light rain she tried to dodge but after failing to dodge rain drop's she gave in and off we went. :)

High wind's, however was just a solid "No!" Not even going to try?? You go for a walk "Dad," and let me know how it works out … when you get back?? The "cold," I don't really know what her limits were?? I decided, when to call it quits, at 32 degrees on outing's ... I wore light clothing and when it got to be to much for me ... we went home.

She never seemed to notice the snow and call much?? But not her call, it was mine. And I always errored on the side of caution in the cold.

My first winter walk with "Rocky," WL GSD ... LOL it was "amazing!" The winds were howling and the rain was pounding and it was freezing, nothing out there but snow and ice!! And no one in there right mind woulkd be "Walking there dog in that weather??"

But hey whatever I'll let him out and see what he does?? LOL it was epic ... howling wind and pounding rain?? And he not even notice it?? he stood in the mist of it, wagged his tail and wondered what was taking me so long to join him for the fun?? I just laughed kind of stunned and got ready to join him ... "All Weather Breed," the real freaking deal! I was stunned!

And the really cool part (no pun intended) was that on our bad weather walk's ... we had "Zero," loose dog encounters! Cuz you know, no one in there right mind ... would be out in weather like that!

Stru or Marilyn were not happy when we would go out, in weather like that?? But that kinda, weather crazy was how we rolled!

But you have to "know your dog," and in extreme cold and a Boxer out and about for extended time? I would be really concerned about there feet?? Frost bite, ... and Boxers do have "Tiny Feet," and damage could be done before they would be willing to let you know?? IE ... pig headed and stubborn, it's up to the owner to call, when enough is enough.
Yeah Chip, its assumed you should always check the dog whether its hot or cold. Couple years ago we had the polar vortex with temperatures in single digits and gusts at 30. We went out and he thought it was the best thing in the world. I couldn't even handle it for more than 15 minutes completely bundled up. I've always checked his ears and feet in cold weather. I don't know how he does it but it doesn't matter how long we are out in cold weather, it could be 15 minutes or a couple hours, but his ears and feet never get more than slightly cool. We always joke around he must have some malamute in him. I pay way more attention in the heat.

To me, there are general rules but it also goes to knowing your dog.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
GREAT PIC of your boxer all dressed in winter gear by the way! haha.
Thanks for the compliment ... but that is not my "Struddell," That's JessMikes, Boxer Aspen.

Although I will say that if Struddell wore that gear ... she would look pretty much just like that! But most likely there was a "Zero Chance that she would have kept that hat on??

I thought she looked cute in hat's! She felt she looked ridicules?? Sigh it was an on going battle for year's! It got worst at Halloween. She refused to wear the Pumpkin Hat that was a part of her costume. I tried for year's she always said ... "Yeah NO Dad!" She was a "Good Girl," but the Hat crap was a "Bridge to far??" :(

But hey, maybe a "Yorkie," and a "Bow??" That would be cool! :)

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Yeah Chip, its assumed you should always check the dog whether its hot or cold. Couple years ago we had the polar vortex with temperatures in single digits and gusts at 30. We went out and he thought it was the best thing in the world. I couldn't even handle it for more than 15 minutes completely bundled up. I've always checked his ears and feet in cold weather. I don't know how he does it but it doesn't matter how long we are out in cold weather, it could be 15 minutes or a couple hours, but his ears and feet never get more than slightly cool. We always joke around he must have some malamute in him. I pay way more attention in the heat.

To me, there are general rules but it also goes to knowing your dog.
Really it does depend on the dog?? Some have higher tolerances for heat or cold and some don't?? But as a general rule ... they will let you know??

Struddell luv'd bunny chasing in the summer! I have no idea how long she would have kept doing it?? So I had to decide how many high speed runs in 90 plus temp's was enough?? Oh and for the record ... she never caught one! They would always try to burn her out on the straight's ... that never worked! She would start to close on them. Then they would always cut hard to the right into the brush and dart back onto the straight ... every time!

Stru, would track hard right to follow them and I would watch the bunny come out of the brush and speed yet again down the straight! Struddell would track the turn and then switch from sight to scent?? And start searching for the bunny in the bush?? That happen "Every Time??" She never figured it out but it was fun to watch. :)

But extreme cold?? I have no idea what her limit's were?? She was fine at fine in the snow at below freezing for the 15 to 30 minuet's, I had her out there. Beyond that .. I have no idea??

By contrast my GSD extreme cold weather meant nothing to him! He would stand out in howling winds and blind rain and smile! It would take I assume a "hurricane or a forest fire,' to get his attention weather wise?? Short of that ... he did not care.

SIgh he was pretty cool. I would watch the weather and if it said a cold snap or a storm coming ... it was time for a walk! :)

But Stru, did not like high wind's or ponding rain. By contrast Rocky never even noticed the weather?? Sigh I really should have done "more," with him?? But he really did not much care for people either so there is that.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Really it does depend on the dog?? Some have higher tolerances for heat or cold and some don't?? But as a general rule ... they will let you know??

Struddell luv'd bunny chasing in the summer! I have no idea how long she would have kept doing it?? So I had to decide how many high speed runs in 90 plus temp's was enough?? Oh and for the record ... she never caught one! They would always try to burn her out on the straight's ... that never worked! She would start to close on them. Then they would always cut hard to the right into the brush and dart back onto the straight ... every time!

Stru, would track hard right to follow them and I would watch the bunny come out of the brush and speed yet again down the straight! Struddell would track the turn and then switch from sight to scent?? And start searching for the bunny in the bush?? That happen "Every Time??" She never figured it out but it was fun to watch. :)

But extreme cold?? I have no idea what her limit's were?? She was fine at fine in the snow at below freezing for the 15 to 30 minuet's, I had her out there. Beyond that .. I have no idea??

By contrast my GSD extreme cold weather meant nothing to him! He would stand out in howling winds and blind rain and smile! It would take I assume a "hurricane or a forest fire,' to get his attention weather wise?? Short of that ... he did not care.

SIgh he was pretty cool. I would watch the weather and if it said a cold snap or a storm coming ... it was time for a walk! :)

But Stru, did not like high wind's or ponding rain. By contrast Rocky never even noticed the weather?? Sigh I really should have done "more," with him?? But he really did not much care for people either so there is that.
I think it is also the environment they are raised in that they become more tolerant. Zuke probably wouldn't last 15 minutes in the desert. lol

Rain cracks me up. Zuke will go play in the water without a care in the world, but god for bid a rain drop hits his back. We need to go inside asap!:unsure:

·
Registered
785 Posts
My dogs hate going out in the rain too but they will happily run thru mud puddles! My guys much prefer the cold weather I only coat them when its below 30 otherwise they are pretty comfortable and I only coat them when the wind is really up too it helps keep their back muscles warm. My dogs absolutely hate the summer and so do I! I think we need to move to a cooler climate!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Well I found out today ... "Bella (Boxer/Pit) is not an "All Weather Dog." Cold or snow does not bother her much. But unsettled weather, she is not a fan??

On our first stop in the Desert on the way to town, we stopped at the recycle center and afterwards I tried to let her out as we made our way to town. IT had started to rain moderately and the wind's were gusting and she would not get out of the car??

Ok then we make our way to town and my Doctor appointment and I try again before I go in. The weather is still the same but this we are on asphalt. The rain is still falling and the wind's are still blowing and open the door to let her out and she stares at the wet asphalt like it's hot lava??
IE ... Uh NO, I'm not getting out of the car! So "whatever," after my appointment the weather is calmed down and out she hop's.

Hmm, well it has been an interesting day. A storm is blowing in apparently?? Back at home I go outside to consistent light rain but gusty wind's. Bella follows me, out steps off the sheltered patio and into the weather?? The wind's howl again or rather still and Bella "say's," oh screw this! And back inside she goes!

Ah well it's been an interesting comparison?? Between my All Weather Rocky and my ... more, normal or sensible Bella?? Struddell would not have gone out there either. Rocky seemed to actually enjoy bad weather?? So I'd go out there for him and we would patrol the neighborhood. :)

But hey if my dog doesn't want go there ... no point in me going?? So we set inside by the fire with the TV on. That work's too. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts