Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so maybe we should have put Debo through a training program as a pup, but we didn't. He is now 7 months.

We are now considering the Beginner course, although he's getting better with alot of things, there is still much to work on - especially socialization with other dogs (jumping up/chase instinct).

Anyhoo...so my question is, have any of you taken your over-hyper (ok, who is to say the degree, afterall he IS a boxer :)) to a PetSmart training course, if so, how did it go and was it helpful to you? I'm not sure if he needs this and/or a behaviorist b/c of another issue, of which I'll post under another topic. But please let me know your experiences with the PetSmart training.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've never used Petsmart but I'm sure it is fine.  We hired a personal trainer to come to our home to work w/ our lab Samson.  Samson has taught our boxer the basic commands!!!

BTW by bf used petsmart, her husky would only obey @ the store and not at home!!  Definitely the owners fault!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews about the Petco training program.  Because of that we decided to take Beckham to a center that does Obedience, Rally and Agility training only and I would recommend something like that. They were very good and Beckham loved going!  Of course it all depends what you have available in your area.    
Good luck and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My DH took our Dixie through the PetSmart beginner program at about 5 months old.  The main reason we did so was to expose her to other dogs of all sizes and temperment.  She was a very hyper puppy even for a Boxer.  Lucky for DH, the trainer was familiar with and loved Boxers and was really good with her.  She was the class clown and had a wonderful time.  I guess a lot depends on the trainer.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've used Petsmart twice foe obedience. Both times basic classes...First time with Buck was a bit of a flop, every one dropped out of the class except fo rme, so no socialization, the trainer was a bit of a dumby, so we didn't learn a lot...When I adopted Samson, it was part of the contract to attend am obedience class, so I tried Petsmart again here in Bama...Had an awesome trainer, she worked with me regarding my issues, was available before and after class if needed.....

My advice, if you are considering using them, go watch a class, talk to the trainer, tell them what kind of dog you have, etc, feel them out and then decide if you want to attend or not. That's what I did this second time and was very happy with the results

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a very good idea to go watch the class itself, just didn't know if you could do that. I'll also talk with them and discuss what he needs to work on. And yeah, I'm sure alot depends on the trainer, so after talking with them, I should get a pretty good feel for them. I might also look @ a personal trainer/behaviorist, but just haven't been able to find any in my area (Austin, Tx) as of yet.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ask Liz to help you with that...She has a ton of contacts and may be able to find one for you....Also if you do go to Petsmart, take Debo with you, that way the trainer can see how he is and also how the trainer interacts with Debo....

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We used PetsMart for Rocky and PetCo for Henry.

Both were wonderful.  We took the boys when they were about 6 months old.  Rocky was a big pain, but Henry did really well.  Both were very helpful to me.  

Austin should definately have something available on a more personal level.  That is the most dog-friendly city I think I've ever seen!

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry, for the late reply...we took Manyn to PetCo for training and he did really well. His classmates were a German Shepherd and a Ridgeback (?). The first class was very loud! Lots of barking...Manny be the main trouble maker, possibly because he was the only male. But at the end, he was the star student! The teacher loves him, we even stop by when she's teaching so she can see him and her "new" students can see what the outcome is.
No matter where you get training...the key is to practice everyday!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts