Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!  I need a little advice...

I'm currently almost 5 months pregnant and worried about my baby being around a boxer that is still a puppy himself.  The father of my Child has a 10 month old boxer that doesn't seem to be trained or listen very well.  He does listen when you have food in your hand when you ask him to do his tricks (sit, lay down and high five) but, when visiting his house these are things I observe that cause me to worry:

1.  Jumping up on me when he is excited or wants to play.  It worries me because he paws very hard on my stomach sometimes when doing this.  I tell him to get down and he listens for a few seconds and does it again.

2.  He poops in the house on a rug in the same spot or sometimes still pees in the house.  His owner either cleans it up then brings him over to spank him and tell him no.  Or he cleans it up puts it in a bag then takes it over to him, shows him the bag then spanks him or tells him no.  Or brings him him to it, spanks him and tells him no.  Or sometimes doesn't spank him or tell him no.  I've even seen him ask what did you do and the dog try to run from him and when he caught up with him, he picked him up and put him in his lap and hugged him.

3.  When you leave the kitchen (after cooking or not) he tries to get everything and anything down from the counters if he thinks it's food. I've seen the owner go into the kitchen after cooking dinner knowing the dog has been successful in getting some stuff off the counter and then giving him food from off the counter.  

4.  The owner has to keep everything up off the dresser or leave the bathroom door shut because the dog gets the shampoo bottles, tooth paste, in his gym bag and has ate his energy pills twice now and doesn't get scold for it.

5.  Begs us for food when we are eating dinner and most of the time tries to lick your plate while eating or paw at his owner and put his paws on the table constantly.  The owner will tell him no and the dog doesn't seem to listen that well to him.

6.  When playing it constantly goes for his hands and "gently" bites, growls and paws at them.  However, when the dog does it to me it seems hard and aggressive.
I've brought up the fact that he needs to be more consistent with him or take him to training school but, he says he will grow out of this behavior.  He says the dog knows the commands but just chooses not to listen to him sometimes and that's okay.

I'm just afraid that when the baby comes it's going to be crawling around on the floor where there is remains of poop or pee, it's not going to listen to commands.  He says when the baby comes the dog will be fine with the baby.  I just think it needs to be able to listen and obey commands before the baby comes into his house.  I've mentioned the fact of the baby laying on the floor in the living room and the dog running around either taking the child's toys or getting caught up and stepping all over the baby.  He says if he does that's something we can't stop.

Help me!  Am I just being too paranoid?  Or can anyone offer any information to help me understand what this dog might need before the baby comes in August?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh lordy girl you have your work cut out for you. Yes you do have a right to be concerned with a new baby coming into the home and the dog not having very good manners. It does sound like the dog is in need of some form of constant training. At this point the dog is getting mixed signals on what is and is not allowed. As for the housetraining issue, be sure to get a good cleaning product such as Natures Miracle and make sure that it is used eachtime there is an accident. It will remove all smell and such and hopefully prevent further accidents. It almost sounds like it would be a good idea to kennel/crate train the pup. With the kennel/crate training it would help with both housetraining as well as the behavior. At this point the pups knows what he can and cant get away with, and until he is taught otherwise will continue with this behavior.  There is a lot of great training posts/topics on this sight. When you have time look through them. If there are any specific questions feel free to ask! by the way welcome to the forum and congrats on the baby.  One more thing when you practice his command/tricks start out using a treat, and then slowly move to using no treats just lots of love and praise. With the jumping up that is just a constant thing when he does it firmly tell him "NO" or "DOWN" if he stays down give him lots of lovins and praise. If he attempts to jump back up repeat the command until he learns. Honestly it will take time, but hopefully there should be improvement before the baby comes. Once again congrats and welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awe, thank you so much for your reply.  I'm just hope that he can understand the need to have his dog trained and to understand that it's not just the breed/nature of this dog and there is not too much that's going to change it.  

Thank you so much for you congrats and your welcome!  Any advice is much needed.  I just feel I need to learn about it as well.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.  :)

Just from reading your post I can see that this pup is in need of some basic obedience training.  Yes, I would be concerned about bringing home a baby in that environment. Boxers are extremely good with children, but they do need to be trained correctly. I'm assuming this is your boyfriends dog. From what I am reading from your post, your boyfriend (owner?) needs some serious training on how to train a dog.  One should never, ever, yell or spank a dog. Chloesmom gave you some great tips. I won't even go into the training because it seems to me the owner of this pup really doesn't care or maybe doesn't have the time to train this pup. The pup will not "grow out of this behavior." This is a really sad post for this pup and your baby. Boxers need to be trained...period. Hopefully the owner will change his tune and seek some training for both himself and the pup. If you have any questions please feel free and ask. There is a great bunch here. I really hope this works out for you.

Lisa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much!  You guys just help to confirm my feelings and thoughts on this subject.  I think it's really important to get the dog trained and for him to understand how to train and be consistant with the training so the dog can learn from him.

Thanks for the advice again.  I'm just searching for a way for him to realize this.....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
First off Ill start out saying that Boxers are fabby dogs to have around kids!!! They need to listen though because they do get overly excited very quickly.

I would definetly put him in an obedience class! Even if YOU have to do it! I have a 2 1/2 year old and my girl is great with her!! Roxy will be 2 on April 19th! I got her when my daughter was 10 months old.

Congrats on the new baby! :D  Do you know what your having? Im pregos too but only have 3 weeks to wait lol Im having a boy!

Here are a few pics of Roxy and my daughter! SHes pretty well behaved but suffers from selective hearing :lol:  She will listen most of the time because she knows when I mean business! Also since Ive been pregnant she has been very protective of me and will NOT let any men near me!!!! Why she has just targeted men I do not know lol

These are my favorite!

Here are a couple of her at about 19-20 months with the little boy I use to babysit! He was 8 weeks old.

Heres a pic of me and my daughter lol I was about 7 months here.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
my sister has a 3 month old with a 2 and a half year old female boxer... Maggie is fantastic... she just sniffs him when hes in the swing... she never jumps on my sister when she is carrying the baby.... which is huge, because maggie is such a jumper....

she will put her front paws up on the crib or changing table when the baby is up there and he just stares at Maggie... if hes crying and she does this he will stop crying...

·
Registered
107 Posts
In my spare time I love reading about dogs's behaviour.
When you spank/hit a dog because he's done something wrong it doesn't work out because than he'll start doing the same thing anywhere else hiding where you dont see him. It has taken me 5 months using the same strong word (NO NAUGHTY) for him to learn doing poo where I wanted him and after that I lock him outside for 30 min where he should do it. Never spanked him and believe me my boxer is rough when playing but very sensitive when I shout.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
RoxyGirl22\";p=\"3846 said:
These are my favorite!
OMG!!! Those two pics of Roxy and your daughter when she was an infant are way too adorable!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum...I don't feel you are being paranoid at all...I would never allow my dogs to have that kind of behavior..Angel is still getting used to being here and at 15 mos a handful, but she's a lot better behaved than that young man..He is definitely in need of some obedience training, which can start at home....

First of all, showing a dog after the fact what they have done, proves nothing. Your boxer will already have forgotten what he has done...You have to catch them in the act and always be firm and try not to raise your voice..Easier said than done at times, believe me. I totally agree that a crate would be ideal for him. He's still at the age that he can be very destructive and could actually hurt himself...

As for the jumping, try keeping his lead on when he's inside, it's a great way to keep better control and right now that's the key.. You need to let him know that you are the boss, not him...Right now he's just doing what he pleases and I hate to say it, doesn't sound like the owner is much help...Everyone needs to be consistent in what they do as far as discipline, otherwise the poor dog gets confused...There are a lot of very good books you can check into to get you started, if it's not possible to get him enrolled in an obedience class right now....

What about the owner, is he willing to help with this as it's his dog? Or is this being all left up to you...Perhaps have a non confrontational talk about your concerns regarding your baby...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Roxxy girl- That picture of your daughter snuggling your puppy is so sweet.  It is also interesting to see the progression in size of your daughter versus your dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for all your advice.  It has def. helped me.  We have talked it out and I'm very hopeful that things will get better.  I just hope it doesn't take too long...LOL!!!  Thanks again for all your support.

P.s. those pics are way too cute!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Both of my dogs are good with my 6 month old granddaughter.  They just sniff her and are usually satisfied.  I still watch them like a hawk around her, just because they have those powerful paws!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts