Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a hard time of making Milo (our 10 week old puppy) to go potty before we leave for work. Like this morning, my wife took Milo out and they was out there for 20 minutes and he still did not go pee or poop. Is there anyway to make him go before we leave, or is it just being in a pattern, because the last couple of days the wife has been sick, so she has come home early and has been home all day, therefore he knows he can hold it, because she will be home sooner than later.

Also, he still likes to pee in cage, I don't know if he pees right before we come home, because he gets too excited? I know we leave him in there too long, but there is no way around it with our jobs that we have. I am sure he will get a hang of it, and he is still only 10 weeks old, but with Radar we never had too many problems with him. But we did get him at 12 weeks old compared to 8 weeks old. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Do you walk him or just let him out in the back yard? I had the same problem with mine - they would just play and play and no pottie...I was so frustrated. Then, I started taking them for a walk instead and both go like clockwork now. Lucy even has her favorite yard she like to go in - it is so funny, she waits until we get to that same yard everyday  :lol:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Part of potty training is having a key word you say everytime they go. Mine is "go potty" and she had learned it very quickly so now when we go out I say "go potty" and she goes almost on command. I didn't get my puppy until she was 14 weeks old and by the second or third week she was "getting" it. It takes paitence, consistence, and time. Good luck!

I agree with pp though about walks. I swear 5 minutes into a good walk she has to drop a load, as I suppose it helps work it out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We also have a 10 week old puppy...so I can sympathize with you.  We use the "go potty" command too.    One thing we did from the get go, in addition to the "go potty", was give Piper a treat every time she went to the bathroom outside.  Then, she knows that if she goes outside, she gets treat.

Once she learned the "go-potty" command..and I need her to go before we leave for work, before we go to bed, etc...I take her out on the leash and  I just stand in one spot.  She can walk around me until she finds the right spot, but she knows that I mean business, and I want her to go potty...rather than letting her run around to play.  

With regards to leaving her in the crate too long...my husband and I were in the same situation.  I think the genral rule is that puppies can hold their pee for the amount of time of their age in months, plus 1...so like a 2 month old puppy can hold it for about 3 hours.   Piper has been really good about holding it a little longer than that (like 4 hours), but that is what we try to aim for....so we found a dog walker on Craigslist...she was an art student looking for al ittle extra cash...so she charged like 10/hour...and she has really put our minds at ease about what is going on with Piper during the day..when she is in her crate.

That dog walker has since moved on, but we found another one through word of mouth.  Maybe you can google dog walkers in your area, look on craigslist or ask some of your friends if they know any.  Most of them seem to run $10-20 hour.  Once your pup gets a bit older, she should be able to hold it all day.  Good luck :)

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Ohhh, the treat thingy works really well for my Tango, who is also 10 weeks old.  He knows when he goes out there and does something, he gets the "party praise" and a treat!  He looks so proud of himself!  LOL ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, we was giving him treats. He caught on to going potty outside very quickly. But I think with the wife being home, he is off schedule now and he doesn't know that it is time to go potty in the mornings. He did have two accidents one night in our house, I think because he didn't want to go outside in the rain.  Otherwise, when he is not in his cage and roaming the house while we are home, he does fine. I don't blame him for going potty in his cage, since we are gone for 8 1/2 hours, I just don't want him to get used to it. We will have to start the treat thing again I guess, so he gets the idea of going outside for potty. I know Radar was a lot easier to train, but he was also 12 weeks old when we got him. After a couple of weeks he was able to hold it for 8 1/2 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts