Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Littlefoot is going to be 6 months old this month. We got her when she was around 17 weeks old. Let me tell you I have never seen a dog so scared of everything, and I think that has a lot to do with her not wanting to always go outside. We have came a long way on being afraid of every little thing. Just to let you know how bad it was when we would take her out (and we have been working on this since we got her) she was afraid of cars, trucks, the dark, rain, snow, the grass, the sidewalk, you name it she was afraid of it.
I can now get her outside and she loves to go in our fenced yard. I walk her around the yard inside and out. So she will now pee and poo when I have her off the leash and she is out playing with the kids. She will also pee and poo most of the time on the leash, just takes a little longer sometimes.
My problem is when we are in the house she will not tell me she needs to go out. I take her out ev ery few hours knowing she should have to go, but if I am in the middle of cooking or cleaning she will not tell me. She will go then bark to let me know she did it and wants it cleaned up.
Is there a way to teach her to go to the door or bark or anything to let us know she wants out.
I do know when she is sniffing and going around in circles she is ready to go like lastnight when I was on my computer I looked and she was in mid poo and I yelled stop and I took her out to finish. But of cours ethere was no bark or scratch or anything from her to say mom I need out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm probably not much help, but it will probably just take time... dunno... Odin is just now getting to 5-months old... he's not vocal at all about going out, but he went (just a month ago) from just randomly pooping and peeing all over the house with no warning to now going outside 90% of the time, and the rest of his accidents seem to be by the patio door (he's learning!).

Odin never whimpers or says a word about needing to go... he doesn't charge to the door either... he just sort of wonders over to the door and if someone lets him out, he'll go outside... but if no-one notices, he'll happily pee by the door and go on his way.  It's a lot better then him going on the carpet randomly all over the house... I'm actually proud... Odin only peed in the house twice all week (both times by the door).

I'm not sure if you can make your dog notify you or not... I'm sure someone else will answer... just realize 6-months is still a young puppy and Boxers mature slowly... to get as far as you have, I'd say she is learning slowly but surely.  Odin has made a TON of progress on potty training between 4 and 5 months of age.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe is bell trained her and she learned it within a matter of days. How I did it with Chloe was, got a bell. usually find them in the craft section at Wal-Mart or something.  then tie the bell to the door. Whenever I would take her out to go potty, I would first take her paw and hit the bell, treat and praise and take her right outside to do her business. Once she did her business I would follow with a treat and praise. After a few days of doing this Chloe was hitting that bell all on her own. Warning though, it will become a boredom bell too..lol
I also trained my mom's dog to do this...But instead of taking her paw and hitting it, I just let her make nose contact with the bell and as soon as she did that, I treated and praised and took her outside immediately. Once she went to the bathroom she got treat and praise again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard of bell training b4. But I never knew how to do it. I might give it a shot. I think she will like the bell idea better then trying to get her to bark or something at me. Since she really never barks at all.
Going to Walmart thios week to get a bell. I think my kids will like the bell idea too. lol

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
LOL..There are times when Chloe ends up ringing that bell because she sees the neighbors cat in the yard, or just a leaf blowing in the right direction lol.  But it might be better if you just let her make nose contact with it, since you mentioned she used to be scared of a lot of things. The most important thing is just praising her like crazy once she does and taking her out as soon as that bell jingles.. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
We also use the potty word....Zig never really made any noise to let us know he just would come over to us, Teaki would whine, Calli would bark and Berkeley would just get excited when they needed to go out.  

Like Cholesmom said you can do it with a bell, a bark, whine, or word.  The main thing is to keep an eye on them (which isn't always easy) and make sure they go out right after eating and several times a day.  We always say POTTY for Zig and he runs right to the door.  He will also come and throw his paw on your lap which means he wants out.  He isn't as vocal as the others and never barks to be let in, just sits there or paws the door.   Calli would always bark.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
We had this problem with Lola, it took her until about 4 months to have no accidents whatsoever.  We just kept bringing her to the same door each time and to the same spot outside saying "go potty" each time and when she did it right we'd give her a treat when she came inside.  It takes time, but she now runs to the door and stares at us or if she can't see us from the door she'll run from the door to us and back until we get the hint.  If she's at a house she's unfamilar with she'll walk around in circles.  You'll pick up on her signals!  You sound just like I did a few months ago, very frustrating I know, but Littlefoot will catch on!

·
Registered
405 Posts
It took a LONG time for Abby to start giving us a signal...I think it has more to do with them learning that you CANNOT go in the house. Once she began realizing this, I saw her start getting nervous when she had to go. That's when we were able to get her to give us a signal. We bell trained Brady, he's great with it. ABby wants nothing to do with it. Once we learned her signals though, things got much better. But until they realize that they can't go in the house, there really are no signals. Just keep pushing. We got Abby at 5.5 months old. She's now 11.5 months and only in the past maybe 6 weeks have things begun changing and we still have an occcassional incident.
Abby now paces or stares at us when she needs to go. A few times when we've been moving around the house, she even ran to the back door (that's the closest she has come to ringing the bell....hahahah). Changes in her energy level always mean it's time to go. And we repeat the word "out" everytime we go...as we are putting her leash on, as we walk to the door, as we  exit the door. Now, if I say "abby, out?" she definiately gives us a reaction if she needs to go.  It's hard...we had a long road with Abby, a really long road....but things just start changing, just keep being consistant and keep pushing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I got Kiah at 8 1/2 months (she is 10 months today :clap: ) and now that she has settled in a bit she has just started crying at the door when she wants to go out.  I was really lucky as she only had one accident the second day she was here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts