Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Boxer is 7 weeks old.  He's having touble walking on a leash.  He'll follow behind me but only for a little bit then he sits down, & when I try to tug on the leash he resists.  Is this normal?  Will he grow out of it?  Any tips on getting him to walk better?  Any adivce would be appreciated!  Thanks!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
that is perfectly normal.they need to be trained to walk on leash.try with small treats.when he is walking nicely reward him with treats and when he resists, use the treats to coax him, he will get the picture and should get the hang of it in no time.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I started off like that with Zulu.
I got a short lead and left it on while we played and stuff, he got used to having it on and that it meant funtime, then he was ok and i didnt have many other problems. :D

Until he got so big that not going forward was the least of my probs. Hitting the brakes became our issue, as some of you saw :oops:  :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow does that sound familiar!  Bowser is afraid to move when we put him on a leash.  He just stands there very rigid and shakes!  We don't take him for a walk, we take him for a drag!  He is getting better, but he will only go to end of driveway and no further.  We surely never had that problem with our Lab! He takes me for a drag! :roll:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think it is very normal.....things will improve with a little age....7 weeks is very young to leash train....plus they dont want to walk/follow very much....my advice would be to keep going in short spurts so your baby stays use to the leash, even let them drag it around the house and become use to it being attached to the collar but dont really worry about leash training in general for a little while longer....attention span is just to short at 6 and 7 weeks.......

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
He'll grow out of it.  Rocky did.  Now I have to use an anti-pull harness (just got it this past weekend)!  I'd never heard about letting them wear their leash around to get use to it until I joined here.  But IMO it's a great idea and def. worth trying out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When I first started the leash training wih Chelsea (10 weeks old), she was doing the same.  And one night I but the leash on her picked her up and went for a little walk (not very far) I wanted to make sure she could see the house/yard.  I put her down on the ground in the direction of home picked up the leash and she walked back home.  I did that for 4 evenings and now she loves going for her walks.  A little too much I have a little puller (she's now 5months old).  So now we're working on the no pulling.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
At that age, I would just put the lead on him and let him drag it around, he gets used to it that way.Flick was a maniac when I first put a lead on him, Marq actually was the one that did it and Flick started acting like a bucking bronco :lol: ...Enforced walks are not that big of a deal at 7 weeks...Let him play and be a pup..Time enuf for the adult things  :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
As the others posted - it's normal. Good advice from Willow.  You'll be wishing for these days back when he starts pulling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my boy was like that when he was younger..  He would sit down at the top of the street and he was done, he refused to walk.  After a while he got better, so i suggest just take him for short walks and eventually he will get it.  I have problems keeping mine by my side now, just started using a gentle leader, and he hates it, I hate to do it but it's the only way to control the boy...  But soon you will get it just keep working at it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have the same problem with my 8 weeks old Lou, that's just the way it is at the begining. treats during the walk really do help. but i feel that soon the problem will be how to slow him down  :lol:
good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts