Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new boxer puppy last week, his name is Bo.  He is 9 weeks old now and is fawn with a black mask and white on chest with white tipped feet.  I take him out to potty 5 -15 minutes after every meal and all throughout the day.  He does not potty.  We can stay out for 30 minutes and he won't potty and as soon as I bring him in and turn my head, he does.  When I call Bo he just sits down and looks at me, he will not come until I quit calling his name.  It seems like it has to be on his time and it has to be his idea.  He is just very very stubborn.  Not sure exactly what to do.  He is my first boxer.  I actually bought him for my husband for his birthday, but have kidnapped him and he's MINE!! LOL.  I just need all the help that I can get.  Bo is the most playful and wonderful puppy and I just love him so much.  I'm actually up now at 4 am because he decided he wanted to play in the middle of the night so I got up, now he's sleeping.  Also, when I take Bo out to potty, he will run around the yard and after 5-10-or 15 minutes he will get back up on the porch.  I will go open the door and say Bo Inside.  Then call him and pat my leg.  He won't come until I stop and turn like I am going to shut the door, then he will come in.  HELP!!!! LOL

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well first, Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

Sounds like you have a normal puppy to me.  Nine weeks is very young.  It can take up to a full month before they learn their name!  When going potty, it helps if they explore a little, maybe play a little, just to get things "moving".  When you see him going potty inside, scoop him up and say no and take him outside to potty.  He will have probably finished by then, but he'll get the idea, eventually!  Also, outside should be for fun, not just for potty.  Show him around the yard, let him explore, play some; it will teach him that the yard is a fun place to be.  When he does go potty outside, praise like crazy!!!  Clap your hands and jump up and down and say good potty!  That helps a lot too.  And I'm up at 4 am cause hubby has to go to work! :lol:

There's lots of good info in the puppy section.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
well Jeez my dogs still do that and they are both 6 hahaha..they look at me like what we are busy hahha..but if i act like a moron and jump and down they will come right away..or pretend im going in the house without themm..they are right there !! haha i have to say though..in public they act perfectly..i think its just that they are spoiled at home haha...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Yeah sounds pretty normal to me as well. I've heard that when you clean up their "business" inside it sometimes helps if you bring the papertowl outside along with the puppy to have a sniff of it while outside. I'm not sure if this works because we didn't use this method with Sadie..but just an idea.

Also like Zhanna said, praise like crazy when he goes outside. Another thing, is the umbilical cord method, where you tie his leash  around your waist so you can always watch him, when he shows signs that he's about to go...take him out!

How often are you taking him outside? Is it every 2 hours or so? I know it sounds crazy but we were taking Sadie out that often, but she is pretty well trained now...after 4weeks or so. It takes a lot of consistency, so just keep at it and I'm sure eventually he will learn  :)

For the recall, there is a sticky in the training section with some great ideas...come to think of it I think there's one on potty training as well..

Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum...Bo sounds like a typical 9 wk old puppy actually...It's never too soon to start training and teaching him who is the leader of this outfit, and that would be YOU! When you take Bo outside for his potty, keep him on lead, make sure he does his business first, then let him off lead to play a bit. When it's time to go back in, put the lead back on, say "ok Bo inside" or something to that effect and lead him inside...You may also want to keep the leash on inside as well as was already stated, I found it works well..Young puppies don't need to be having the run of the house, they do need to be supervised, so the leash helps keep him close to you, also you can scoop him up real fast if need be...I found using a kitchen timer as a reminder to take pups out regularly works well, I set mine for 30 minutes at first when we brought Angel home...It's not foolproof, but you tend to forget when you are busy....Teaching recall, is a long process, but reaps great rewards when your Boxer has mastered it...Start simple and definitely read the 2 Sticky topics in the training section on recall, they should help you a lot...Most of all, enjoy Bo, he will make you laugh, make you cry and sometimes feel like you ar elosing your mind, and I wouldn't trade one minute of it......Keep us poste don his progress and of course we would love some pictures.... :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice.  I want to be sure I learn as much as I can to be the best mother to Bo as I can.  If I don't know what to teach him he will not learn what he needs to so that he can be a wonderful adult dog.  I'm trying to research as much as I can.  

I take him every hour during the day and when he squirms in bed at night.  I am doing the praise thing every time he potties, but I was not using a leash, I was just letting him run around.  Will try that.

Once again, thanks and I will get some pictures ASAP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are in for ALOT more of the same....lol....but it is PERFECTLY NORMAL  :)

Vegas seemed to "enjoy" going #2 inside his kennel until he was about 9-10 mo. old.  Even if he went right before he went in he would still go.

It's a long road but well worth it...it WILL GET BETTER.....until then, just enjoy those cute puppy times!!  :):):)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well, let's see...I raised TWO boxer pups this last summer and my third pup is coming home very, very soon! So, I can tell you, that sound normal to me!LOL!  The biggest piece in the puppy stage is...yes, we love them like our babies(really!), but, for their sake, we need to be the leader!! They MUST know we are the leader...crate training is a LIFE saver and as Willow said, set a timer for yourself...it's very easy to lose track...but, once he's on a routine, it will make a big difference...other then that, LOTS OF PAPERTOWELS...natures miracle...and patience...it is MORE then worth it! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts