Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but as you can see from the title, I am in a but of a pickle.

My pup is going to be a year old this week and we have never had a problem with him touching "our" stuff, be last night he tore my couch up. :/

For months now, we've been leaving him out, never bothers ANYTHING. Have shoes laying around, rugs, wires, cat toys, etc.

He has always had a thing for tags/ears/tails on his toys and beds though. I've been cutting them off and everything was fineeeeee... then he noticed the slit I had in my couch from when my cat was a kitten and he decided to make it even bigger.

We started crating him again when we're not around, but now I'm terrified. I feel like I can't trust him at all and I don't know where to go from here. Has anyone have this happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
NO I never trusted Kai alone until he was 2. LOL When I started to leave him out it was for short periods of time 1/2 hour then later 2. Now he just sleeps when I'm gone but frankly if I'm unsure of when I will be back I put him in his crate or one room that I don't care about. So far he has been good, though sometimes I find pillows or throws on the floor but nothing ever chewed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started off VERY slow, like going outside to get the mail and letting him roam free. Built up to 10 mins, 30 mins, now I would leave him out for hours, when we're sleeping, ALWAYS fine.

Like I said, it's been months of him never going in his crate and having free range of the entire house, I don't know how this happened.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Your boy is still in his teenage stage. He saw a small opening and had fun customizing it. Go back to the crate for the next year and then try allowing him some freedom again (once you have either fixed or replaced your couch.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Duke was similar he won a one way ticket back to his crate a year ago he just recently a few months ago was "re-evaluated" we went slow with our trust, and haven't a problem since. Going back to the crate was all about my guys safety, and my wallet I've had enough veterinary bills I didnt need to add partial obstruction removal to that list..

sometimes you take giant leaps forward and than two steps back it happens and some dogs are just not to be trusted out and about alone.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Duke was similar he won a one way ticket back to his crate a year ago he just recently a few months ago was "re-evaluated" we went slow with our trust, and haven't a problem since. Going back to the crate was all about my guys safety, and my wallet I've had enough veterinary bills I didnt need to add partial obstruction removal to that list..

sometimes you take giant leaps forward and than two steps back it happens and some dogs are just not to be trusted out and about alone.
Thats why I love the crate, keeps them safe as well as my purse. I figure they are loose all day with us so when I need to go somewhere he can sleep safely i his crate until my return. I trust hm now but why take a chance.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Give him some credit. At least he stayed off the furniture, right? ;)

All kidding aside, we didn't let Duke have free roam of the house while we're gone until he was 2. Even now, I have to make sure I put my shoes away or he will destroy them. ONLY MY SHOES! Everyone else's shoes go untouched! He must love my foot odour! lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well at least that looks like it can be repaired. The closest we've come to that was when our first boxer chewed a coffee table leg.
Our three now have free roam of the house and fenced back yard thru doggie doors. They don't get so bored that way. And can relieve themselves when they need to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts