Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know boxers don't generally bark much unless they feel the need to, but I think Oggie so far is to the extreme.  He doesn't bark at other dogs when we are walking, he doesn't bark at people, he doesn't even bark if someone comes to the door.  He'll usually perk up and run to the door but that's it.  He will finally do some mild barking/growling when engaging another dog but it takes him a while to warm up.  He generally seems pretty scared of other dogs at first.  He met another boxer puppt who is smaller and a few weeks younger last week, and that dog was tied up in her backyard and barking like crazy.  I had to drag Oggie over to play with her.  Once they did they did the usual "boxing" but it seems pretty odd.  I mean really the only time he barks consistently is when he's tryin to play with somebody or wants to talk about after reprimanded.  He's not quite 5 months yet so I'm probably worrying about nothing, but do you think he'll always be like this or is he just slow to bark?

·
Registered
405 Posts
We got Abby at 5.5 months and it took about 1.5 months before she barked. SHe was shocked when she heard the noise come out of her mouth, so I am sure it was the first time.  But she found it quite amusing and spent the next 10 minutes barking at me.  

No worries...if your baby is anything like ours, he'll make up for it.

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta barks when she wants attention...or when she wants to play...but...she doesn't bark when people come to the door or anything

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow...I didn't know this was so common.  You should see me, I've been chasing him around the house barking at him!  I guess I can stop doing that now.  Yeah, I have a feeling someday I'll be wishing he was so quiet again.  Thanks everyone for the responses

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jaxon was 5 months on the 4th...he only barks (and it's a pitiful *bark*) when he's playing with our Sheltie.  He woo woos at us and when some comes to the door.  He's a scaredy cat when he hears the slightest noise, even then no bark, just a slight almost howl-type woo.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I got Mo when she was 1 1/2 and she never barked.  She would perk up and growl a little when people came to the door.  8 months later I got Niko....he barks and now she barks.  I thought that was kinda funny!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think Buck was about 6 mos the first time he barked & yea I was getting a bit concerned too, now that I know better, I find it's a blessing....Now Angel, lord have mercy, that girl has a set of pipes on her you wouldn't believe, louder than Samson!! Give it time, he'll grow into his bark....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You are just lucky - that's all I can say.  Sophie barks all the time, but maybe that's because she has Kane to teach her and to bark at.  Sometimes we just can't hear ourselves think they are so loud.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well i have heard Reese bark a total of 4 times and she is 9 months old. Once because she wanted out of her kennel, and the other times was because she was getting jealous of savannah getting lovins. Savannah i have heard make little mewling sounds, but have never heard her bark. I have heard her growl and snap as well-this is when she was showing reese the pecking order when we first got reese. Savannah we got in March and she is2 yrs. So in the 8 months we had her-no barking at all!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Willy was the same way for a long time.  I finally got him to bark about a month ago, but only if I ask him "Who's here"?  Other than that, he's laid back.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo only really barks when his toy falls out of the crate...and this is usually in the middle of the night :x  he's almost 6 months

·
Registered
308 Posts
Barking is a hobby of Maguiness (she's 4)  she has all kinds of barks that mean all sorts of things.  I am pretty good at guessing what she is trying to say now.  Sometimes I seriously consider earplaugs!  Enjoy your  quiet time!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts