Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has started eating his poop.  Should I feed him more?  He gets about a cup and 1/2 , three times a day.  Should I take him to the vet?  Is this really bad for him?  I did a search on the forums, but couldn't come up with anything.  I'm sure someone has had this problem too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
my puppy was doing this for awhile (he is almost 5 months) but I dont let him any more, if there is poop in the yard, he has to stay on his leash until it is out of the yard.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Puppies have a tendency of doing that for some reason. Gross huh? There are products you can buy to add to his food that will discourage that...Check out Dr Fosters & also carealot pets

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese doesnt have a problem eating her own poo-she has a problem with eating the cat poo!! Still havent found a cure and this is been for almost 2-3months

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The only advice I can give you is to pick up the poop before he has a chance to eat it. It is bad for him, he can pick up parasites or worms from doing this. Don't scold him for doing this, it could start a behavioral problem. He might even be doing this out of fear or stress. He either needs to be on a leash for a while or you need to pick up right after him.
I would try the forbid or deter that Flutterby mentioned.
This "eating" usually doesn't last too long.  :sick:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've never had a dog eat his own poo.  They will eat cat, cow and horse poo, but not their own.  Maybe call and ask the vet.  If your vet is good, they'll answer your questions w/out having to come in.

As far as eating cat poo.  The only way I know of stopping that is to move the litter box.  We have friends who had to put the cat box on top of a counter to keep the dogs out of it.  It's funny.  When the cats use the box, they get to look down on the dogs.  It's kind of like they are saying Ha-Ha, you can't get it! :lol:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby did this...we tried Forbid to no avail, and we tried Deter, which I THINK worked. It didn't work until we did the double doses though. They tell you if the normal dosing hasn't worked after 2 weeks, to double it. I cannot be positive that she is completely cured bc there's no way of knowing what she does in her crate while we are at work!!! But there's never any remnants to show that she may have gone and she goes as soon as we get home, so I think we are good.

While we were researching, I also red about meat tenderizer being used (vet also said this) and pineapple juice (which he never heard) and the all purposeful pumpkin. The vet said that different things work for different dogs...it just depends on what "taste" disgusts them.

Causes for it, as I read...inadequate nutrician from food (so look at the type of food you are feeding), inadequate amounts of food...leaving them hungry, not properly digesting the food...meaning they need more nutrician, which is apparently where the meat tenderizer comes in...it helps break down food more meaning they get more nutrician out of it (and makes their poo taste bad).

In our case, I am convinced that it had to do with her housebreaking issues. She was very hard to housebreak and I think she started eating it so she wouldn't get yelled at for having gone...hiding the evidence!!! "Yelling" at her (not really yelling, but more than a simple "NO!" and leading outside was a method we tried for 2 days after 5 months of trying to housebreak her according to the books! It backfired clearly!

·
Registered
508 Posts
This puppy that i rescued tries to eat his own poo. But i dont let him do it unless he gets that quick grab and will run in the yard but i stop him and dont let him continue. I thought it was because that was the only thing he had to eat since no one fed him. It is grose. It makes me sick and mad when he tries this because Zeus and Dante didnt ever eat their poo.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Bubba and Jessie ate theirs for a while too, mostly when they were young puppies, till about 5 months...  

If they are going in the house when youre not there and eating it, then theres nothing you can do really.  But if youre around then just pick it up before they can eat it.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Yeah it is gross! i guess i am lucky to have girls that are to lady like to eat their own poo. I am going to buy a cat box with a lid and work that way...i refuse to put my cat box on a counter or anything like that!! :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
[quote="JessiesMom\";p=\"21479":2vgu5obu]If they are going in the house when youre not there and eating it, then theres nothing you can do really.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"21491":j8p62v7j][quote="JessiesMom\";p=\"21479":j8p62v7j]If they are going in the house when youre not there and eating it, then theres nothing you can do really.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Calli was the first dog we have ever had that ate her poo.  She started out as a puppy and the vet recommended getting her a high quality food, said the purina (and cheap brands) left a smell in the poo that some dogs really liked to eat (this was before we new better on foods).  We switched to natures recipe at that time since there wasn't that much choice out there then.  It did help alot but she still continued to eat poo all her 15 years, not constant but occasionally we would catch her and always tell her NO, she also liked cat "treats" out of the litter box so we got a covered box and faced it to the wall which stopped that.

NONE of our other babies have ever wanted to go near poo, Teaki won't even get her toys if they are thrown in the yard and land near any, we have to go get them for her.

Our neighbor has 5 dogs (can't remember the breed now) and one of them ate any poo, even as one of the other dogs were going she was right there to eat it.  They said no matter what they tried she just did it, it was GROSS!   8O

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"21491 said:
And make sure they don't try and lick you for a good while! 8O
eeeeeeew!!! :signeek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts