Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to make crate training more fun for my 8 week old puppy and gave him a kong with peanut butter.  He will not play with it when he is in or out of the cage.  Is he too young for this or is it possible he may not like peanut butter?  

Tara

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
He may not like PB or he may not like the kong. My last boxer didn't have any interest in the kong. You can try stuffing it with different things. You can try some cooked macaroni with melted (not hot) velveeta cheese poured over, like a mac and cheese. You could try some yogurt and cheerios and freeze that. Good luck!

I just read how young he is...sorry!!  :?  He probably doesn't know what to do with a kong, or pb. You can try just to keep offering it to him. I wouldn't give him too much though. It might be a bit much for his stomach.

Again good luck and welcome. Be sure to read the stickeys in the training section regarding crate training. Also, read through the puppy section. Tons and tons of great info in there.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah wanted nothing to do with the kong at first. I dont think she knew what to do with it. Have you taken a bit of pb from the kong and put in on your finger have her taste it that way. she may not know what to do like Savannah. I also had to put a piece of her favorite treat out the bottom so she would try to eat it and then finally taste the pb.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
southerngirls\";p=\"42815 said:
Savannah wanted nothing to do with the kong at first. I dont think she knew what to do with it. Have you taken a bit of pb from the kong and put in on your finger have her taste it that way. she may not know what to do like Savannah.
Sadie was like this too. She wanted nothing to with kongs with PB until about 10 or 11 weeks...now she can't get enough of them! Like Andrea said, give him a little tastes and see what he does.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
8 weeks is so young.  Puppies often take time to warm up to any treat or toy.  I bought all sorts of stuff that Oggie wouldn't even touch, and 2 weeks later it was his favorite thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took some of your advice and tried to feed him peanut butter on my finger.  He licked it once or twice so I tried again with the kong.  I only give it to him when he goes in his cage so he will think it is a treat he gets for going in there.  So far he is warming up to the  peanut butter and kong.  This is keeping him quiet when he first gets into his cage.  Thank you all for your suggestions!!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
glad he is starting to like the treat-be careful how much and how often  you give. if you baby is only 8 weeks you dont want to upset his tummy too much. i would suggest once he gets used to the kong to switch things up and maybe try the Cream Cheese like Hannabanana said or yogurt and freeze it. things like that

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'll have to try the cream cheese too...

Koa didn't like his kong with pb at first either.  Now, he will kinda play with it.  Hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts