Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we've had Debo since he was 8 weeks (he is now 7 months) and we got his sister - Jass, a bullmastiff about a month ago, she is now 3 1/2 months. We were curious to see how he'd be with her, since he hadn't had much socialization with other dogs. It went off better than expected! They hit it off great. Best buds.

Now here comes the issues. They are completely opposite of one another. Jass the bullmastiff is sooooooooo laid back, she's like a bump on a log. Totally boring lol. She is such a sweet girl and loves attention, but she'd rather be laying around all day than anything. She just wants to hang out and chill! (Not used to that with Debo!) Well, Debo isn't having that! He wants to PLAY PLAY PLAY. At first we had issues with jealousy with her, but he's pretty much over that. Now that we play with them together, it seems to be curbed, although it can start some play fighting. But what starts the actual FIGHTS is she doesn't want to be bothered (this is 3/4 of the day). She just wants to lay or sleep and Debo comes over to her and starts messing with her. Mind you, he just wants to play, but she doesn't! She'll have enough and snarl, growl and go at him. Like, leave me alone! This is a constant. He's always messing with her and we have to keep an eye on them almost 24-7. Because a fight can break out, with the whole boxing, biting, barking and everything, all because she wants to be left alone and he wants to play. I feel bad for both of them b/c they are so different. Debo wants a play partner and she just wants to relax. I'm also scared b/c she does more damage to him than he does to her. He tries to act tough when she goes at him, but always backs off. She is always the one that really gets her teeth on him. She is expected to get to 120lbs! In a couple of months, Debo could get seriouslly hurt if "this" isn't curbed. She is already 33lbs and catching up on him quickly. She also has FANGS, some very SHARP teeth!

Now mind you, the other times, they are great together. They lick each other, lay by each other, play and act "normal", it's just Debo's abundant amount of energy and playfulness that annoys Jass. Are they just not the right fit? Can Debo's "taunting" to play be curbed? Is it something else? I want them to co-exist peacefully, but my fiancee is having troubles with it. He doesn't think it's fair for them. He's considering putting her in another home, but I don't want that if this can be "fixed".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help?

·
Registered
405 Posts
We have this a bit with Abby and Brady too...Abby wants to play play play, Brady is more laid back (most of the time). Brady doesn't go after her though when he's not interested, he tends to come running to me and tuck himself between my legs. Then he will bat at her and play a bit from between my legs and eventually she can "talk him into playing."  He just isn't vocal or active about telling her to back off. Because Brady is such a mama's boy too, she has a hard time convincing him to play if I am not right there...he is my little velcro dog and sometimes all I have to do is sit on the floor near them and he will start tumbling around with her. I think sometimes he is just afraid he will lose sight of me if he gets involved in play with her. If I sit down, he knows where I am and is willing to play.

You may want to try dissuading her aggression in telling him to back off by taking it into your own hands. If he's trying to play, try to entertain him for a few minutes just to let him get his energy out...throw a ball for him for a few minutes, etc. Maybe he will get his need for play taken care of and calm down a bit. Maybe she will learn to come to you then, rather than taking matters into her own hands by getting a bit aggressive.  Also though, keep in mind their ages and how long they have been together. He is going to naturally learn what it is she is trying to do and learn not to mess with her.  Part of it is just their own learning process.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We've had some of these issues as well...Samson is a very laid back 10 1/2 and Angel is a very playful energetic 2...Angel will try to get Samson to play with her, she picks on him a lot, but Samson holds his own and lets her get away with murder. When he's had enuf one growl is all it takes and she backs off, more so now that they know each other better. He has never hurt her, so I've never had that concern.

Debo is still a very playful pup, so you need to keep that in mind. Actually they both are pups, I forgot that....I would try to find more things to tire him out so he won't feel the need to pick on Jass so much....I'm sure others on here can give you a lot more advice than I can...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts