Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting concerned that Cactus' head is abnormal.  He has a squishy lump on the top front portion of his head.   I tried taking pictures but cannot get him to hold still.  As you all know he had seizures.  Lately his head looks abnormal.  People even are beginning to ask me if he is full boxer(which yes he is).  I will of course be taking him to the vet, again.   I am really really worried.  The squishy thing makes his forehead protrude.  To me it seems to have moved from the back of his head to the front.  I cannot afford any more vet bills at this point.  I am going to go research dog head abnormalilties but if any of you can assure me that this is normal or offer support I would appreciate it.
Oh, and other wise his tempermant and mannerisms are all normal.  He eats, sleeps, and plays.  It has now been three weeks since his last seizure.
~Anne

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to describe it in more detail.  It actually makes the top of his head, as viewed from the side and  from the front to behind his ears look square.  From what I just read, this is not normal at all, but tumors in puppies are rare.  What else can this kind of thing be?  Is it possible that he might be hurting himself in his kennel?  Argh.  My poor little guy.  
~Anne

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r151 ... type=local
I do not know how to put the pictures into this response.  But this my photobucket album of Cactus.  Looking at the pictures I took on 11/27 versus the onestoday, the top of his forehead is huge.  It looks like a golf ball sized lump.  I think I am going to lose him.  First seizures and now this. Tears, lots of scared tears.
~Anne

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a gorgeous and sweet looking little guy!  My heart goes out to you, and yes, I would worry too.   That bump is not normal and by looking at all the pictures you can definitely see a change in his appearance.  I would take him to the vet to find out if it's fluid that could be drained or whether it's a tumor.  I'm so sorry you and your pup have to go through this. Keep us updated,ok?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hey Anne,
I just looked at the pictures of Cactus, and yes he does look swollen. I really can't even offer any advice, but to get him in with a vet. Did this just show up this morning? Did he maybe hit his head on something? Does it seem to hurt him when you touch it? I really don't have any experience with this. I would at least call your vet today and see what they say. At the least, it may put your mind at ease. I know what you mean about the finances, but maybe the vet will work with you on the bills and set up a payment plan, or something like that.
Please let us know what the vet says. I'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed here that it is nothing serious. Hugs to Cactus and you too!

Lisa

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Ya know....I was just sitting here thinking about this, and I'm wondering? Was he maybe stung by something? Or maybe bit by a spider? Just for a lump like that to appear suddenly like that, I wonder if it is an allergic reaction to something. Please let us know as soon as you hear anything. I'll be thinking of little Cactus.......

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm afraid I can't really offer any advice on the lump but you are definitely right- it's not normal and you can see the change in is head shape. I'll be thinking of you and Cactus though. He really is a gorgeous little boy! Let us know how you go on!

Heather

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cactus' lump seems to have gone down a bit from last night but it is still there.  It is not painful, but he does not like me pressing on it.  I am not sure anyone would like to have thier forehead pressed on so that to me seems a normal reaction.

It is possible that he got stung.  My neighbors have bees in their gutter area which is right over my patio.  I have been stung on my toes, hand and my back.  Also since we just had a cold spell here, I know spiders are trying to get in our houses.  

We also have to deal with scorpions.  I have never seen one myself, but Mr. Cactus likes to dig under rocks in my yard.  I do not leave him out for this reason.  I like my yard hole free.

Last night we were out at a christmas light parade.  It was cold and he was shivering..... does anyone think that would make a sting grow larger?  I would think it would shrink...because blood vessels vasoconstrict to unused portion of your body when cold so that the organs can maintian function.....

.....just stabbing in the dark here and hoping the swollen head and seizures are not related.

Keep helping me think!  Thanks everyone.
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Cactus..Anne, everytime I look at that face, I just melt. He is such a cutie....That bump he has worries me. Yes, he could very easily been stung by something, esp if he's a digger like you say & I sure can understand the worry about vet bills, believe me...The fact that you can at least touch it I think is good, if Cactus was in any real pain, believe me he would let you know, but yes I would at least call the vet. I am so sorry that you have been having so many problems with that little angel..Samson & I will keep you both in our thoughts & sending you both boxer hugs & smoochies...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Willow.  Hopefully today I will get an answer.  I will of course keep you two posted.  I tried to find a way to privately email you on here so I could tell you about the reason I was sedated.  If you would like to know, let me know and I will post my email address up here for a short time this evening and then take it down.
~Anne

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just wondering....How was Cactus today?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Anne~ you and Cactus both are in our prayers.  I understand about the vet bills.  Hopefully you have a good one like ours!  Keep us posted and I hope it is nothing serious!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could not get Cactus in to the vet today and I am going back to my sugeon tomorrow.  So, wednesday is the day.  

However, Dr. Temple did call me back regarding the bump.  She informed me that a bee sitng or even scorpion sting   would've only lasted for about 24 to 48 hours.  So from what I've described and what she knows, it is not a sting.  Darn.  Seriously darn.

We are stil seizure free but now I am not worry free at all.  Not that worrying does any good, but I am scared that the seizuring and the lump are related.  

All that aside, he is carelessly tossing his hoof around, playing and doing what he does.  I guess there is still hope.  I feel like such a drama queen so thanks to all of you for keeping tabs on my little guy.  Wednesday get here fast!
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Keeping you & Cactus in my thoughts.. Bless his heart, he is such a trooper. Obviously the bump doesn't bother him, but it takes a lot to slow them down.

As for feeling like a drama queen?? Not at all, Cactus is just like your child,,we care so much & want them to be healthy...Keep the positive thoughts going, ok??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OKay I have the most amazing vet ever.  She is pregant, worked late last night which is why she called and then was there early this morning.  She found she had space to squeeze us in and got us there this morning.  He got his final set of shots, a fecal exam, and a head exam.  Ready for this??

The lump is nothing more than Cactus growing at such speed that he does know how big he is already- 28lbs and not even four months old until the 13th.  So apparently by wiggling under my couches, running into the sliding glass door, and shooting himslef under my bed, he keeps hitting his head.  This is why some days it is bigger than others.    What does this all mean- Cactus is a KLUTZ!!!!  This is a bit embarrassing for me but I think the seizures have my worry level extra heightened.

So until my puppy leanrs his body, he is going to be accident prone and will probably have bumps on his head.  

On to the next concern- what is normal size for a puppy of just under four months?  Is there a growth chart for dogs like there are for humans?  I am now curious as to if he is in the 95%ile...... and if I could track his weight on a chart, is there anyway to predict his upcoming size..... it would be nice to buy him a big boy collar for christmas.

Thanks for haning in with me.  All is resolved and I think I have turned into my mother, a worry wort.  She is not a bad person and I guess such is life.
~Anne

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm so glad you've got to the bottom of it! I bet it's a huge relief! I remember when we first got Daisy she used to crawl underneath our sofa and as she grew it took her quite a while to realise that she could no longer fit under there! She would squeeze under there and have a right struggle getting out! She worked it out eventually though! I'm sure Cactus will work it out eventually that he is a growing boy!

Heather

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
First off, I'm so glad Cactus is just a Klutz! That sounds so weird. I hope he stops hitting his head on everything. Sounds like a typical boxer puppy though!
As far as his weight. Sounds perfectly normal. I have never seen a growth chart for Boxers, and I wouldn't put too much trust in one if you did find one. Boxers weights and heights can vary so much in puppyhood. The only thing I can say, is if you saw his parents than you could probably guestimate how big Cactus was going to be. Normally for a male, I would say anywhere from 55 - 75 lbs would be "normal." Although, like I said, it can vary a lot! My friends boxer was 105lbs. Very huge for a Boxer. I think it all depends on the parents.
Anyway, I'm happy that Cactus is doing well, and you have an answer on his lump. He sounds like a typical, wiggly, happy, little boy! Enjoy him while he's little!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Anne-

Glad to hear that cactus is well. It is understandable to worry about our babies, especially with all that you have gone through so far with him! As far as the concern about his weight he seems to be right on track. from past experience with my other boxers and with friends i know who own puppies that age now he doesnt appear to be out of the norm. most male boxers are typically around 35-40 lbs by the time they hit 5 months. now please keep in mind that i am in no means an expert-just an owner and a lover of the breed- but this is just from my own experience with this wonderful breed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glad to hear it was not more serious!  Please keep us posted on if and when his bump goes down.  It sure is great to have a good vet!   We have one and it is such a relief to know they are there when you need them  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Aww Cactus is a bit of a klutz huh? All mine were at some stage. Samson just doesn't pay attention to where he's going & falls into holes. Buck used to run into bushes when we walked cos he was too busy looking at something else...

Glad to hear that Cactus is doing fine & you need to quit worrying so much!! As far as a growth chart,,you got me. In all my boxer books it really doesn't say what they should weigh at certain ages only cos they all are soo different!! I know the breed standard does state weight limits, but as far as growing pups,,just watch him, make sure he gets lots of exercise, water, etc & he should be fine...

You worry too much Mom.. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts