Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Samson is 7 years old and up till 2 days ago fairly healthy. We have had to have a few fatty cysts removed but thats it. He had been in a kennel for about a week with our other dog but has been home for 10 days and is up to date on all his shots and heart worm medicine. Yesterday morning I noticed he just wasn't acting right. He had become lethargic and just not his playful, energetic self. When I walked him his urine and stool output was normal but he didn't even seem to be walking right. As the day progressed he wouldn't go near his food or accept treats, this is completely foreign behaviour, and every time he drank water he'd throw it up within the next ten minutes. He also became very lazy. Just laying around and when he did sit he found something to sit against. His next bowel movement was runny and the next two to three times during the day he'd strain but nothing would come out. I also noticed that he seemed weak in the rear legs when he walked. I made an appt with the vet for today since it was to late yesterday. This morning when I woke up I realized he had peed in the bedroom, something he never does, and walked him outside where he strained again but no poo. I went to work and my wife was going to take him to the vet at noon. She left the hosue for a short while and came home to find Samson had urinated in the kitchen and there appeared to be some blood in the urine. He has now been at the vet for 3 hours and except for a 103.5 fever they haven't found anything outstanding.
Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? I'm getting worried and hoping maybe somebody here could help steer me, and the vet, in the right direction.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd have them check his kidneys.  If his kidneys aren't working properly they could be releasing blood into the urine instead of cycling it back to the blook stream.  A urine analysis would most certainly help! Good luck with Samson!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
If he is not pooing he might have an obstruction but the vet probably looked for that.  If his vomit smelled like poo, let the vet know about it because that could mean an obstruction too.  Has he eaten anything lately that he shouldn't?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sounds like an obstruction to me as well. Have they done an x-ray? I don't know what else it could be. Please keep us updated on Samson. Healing vibes being sent!

·
Registered
243 Posts
First I would let check the urine because it could be a cistitis, too.

Some boxers I know have problems with this. Often it is a result of lying on the bare ground...
Or having a bath without drying the groin and belly.

A cistitis means a lot of pain and so the dogs often are not able to walk.

I hope Samson gets well soon!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm with the others, sounds like an  obstruction and some dehydration. Hope the vet finds out what going on with Samson, sending positive thoughts and healing vibes. Let us know how he's doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after 4.5 hours of tests we know little more than when all this started. They did urine and blood tests and xrays. He has both red and white blood cells in his urine, we are awaiting blood tests results, he is not obstructed and they can't tell us much more. He is loosing further control of his bladder and is almost constantly dripping. They put him on antibiotics and gave him fluids and a shot to bring down the fever but really just want us to wait for the blood work to come back. That won't happen till the beginning of next week. just worried about losing him before then with how hes getting worse.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that they can't figure this out. It's horrible when you feel so helpless. I'll keep Samson and your family in my thoughts. Hopefully they will have an answer real soon.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Man that blows. I am sorry you are having problems with your boy. I will pray for you guys and hope they find out what is wrong soe he can get to recovering and back to his normal self.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My Samson is sending your Samson a ton of good healing vibes....How terribly frustrating that is...I am no medical expert, so I really can't offer any suggestions, but watch his back legs, there are a few things it could be, maybe related to what else is going on, or something entirely different...I'm dealing with advanced arthritis with my Samson..The weakness in his legs suggests that or maybe hip dysplasia..But your primary concern right now is finding what is causing his incontinence..It almost sounds like his body is shutting down...Hoping you can get some answers real soon...I will keep him in my prayers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. there still is no definite diagnosis. He is doing better but still won't keep anything he drinks down so we have been giving him fluids by IV. His temperature is down so thats one good thing and he isn't as lethargic or having problems with incontinence any more. The biggest concern for the Vet is they could not find his right kidney on the x-rays, just a white blob with no discerning edge. The vet is worried it could be a paritineal tear or cyst, either of which would require abdominal surgery. The good thing is the chance it's a tear is low since his blood count is good and with a tear he would be bleeding internally. An ultrasound is scheduled for Tuesday where hopefully we can get some answers. Since he is doing much better than he was Friday my hopes are high.

G

·
0 Posts
poor samson!  did you call the kennel to see if anything unusual happened to him while there?  is there any illness that would take that amount of time (10 days) to show up?

praying that poor samson continues to feel better and the vet finds out the cause.

you are such a good mama to do everything you can for your baby.  sending lots of lovins to you guys

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing better, let us know the results of the ultrasound.  Sending healing vibes Samsons way>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we have fairly good news. The ultrasound came back better than expected. The only real problem he has is a treatable abscess in his prostate and Prostatic Hyperplasia. The vet has warned us due to the shape of the prostate he can't rule out the development of cancer but he is cancer free now. Unfortunately next week he will be testicle free also. The vet told us the single best thing we can due for him is have him nuetered so thats how he'll be treated. That and antibiotics and he should be good as new, although slightly lighter. :D
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well that is a positive step...Yea, sadly, when males are left un neutered that is one of the possible things that can happen..Hope your Samson's surgery goes well and wishing him a speedy recovery...

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Glad to hear Samson will be o.k. That must have so worried you. As far as the nuggets? He's in good company; lots of nugget loss going on here lately. Feel better soon, Samson.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well that news is more promising at least, and it does sound treatable. I just wanted to let you know, my 3rd boxer was put down when she started pushing against the wall..I took her in, BUT she too had a MUCH more serious problem..Inestinal cancer ( thankfully your not dealing with THAT). The vet told me ( and I assume this is why your boy is doing it)..they have no way of letting us know they HURT...so pressing the area is common, and they use walls, sofa's..what ever to aleviate the pain.
I send healing {{{{vibes}}}} to your Samson, and now at least it sounds like you have a path to head down to make him happy again ( sorry my tale was sad...I just never knew they did that to help pain issues! )
Best of luck on the road to a full speedy recovery, and a running, playing Boxer again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts