Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2 1/2 year old boxer, Pearl came in with a slight limp around the beginning of March. Took her to the Vet and was told maybe a soft tissue injury around her left rear hip. We restricted her running and playing for several weeks and she seemed better.

Then she started exhibiting a kind of limp or maybe just wobbly walking for a few steps after napping primarily in the evening. After a few steps she seemed fine.

We were concerned, so off to the vet for sedated x-rays and orthopedic exam. The report came back as a possible minor tear in her right ACL and some indication of hip dysplasia.

I know that hip dysplasia is very rare in boxers so I called the breeder ( Northwoods Boxers in Maine) and was assured that the was absolutely no dysplasia in any of their breeders and no reports of it in any of their puppies.

She then told me that there has been some research lately that has linked early spaying (prior to first heat) to increased ACL tearing and hip dysplasia. As well as numerous other health issues.

Pearl was spayed at six months. Does anyone here have any first hand experience regarding health issues after having their boxer spayed before the first heat which resulted in any bone growth or joint health issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
We have breeders on here and hopefully one of them will chime in?? And without going deep in the weeds, fear of stuff like this is why it was 4 years or was it 5 before I had my girl fixed.

I felt I "Had" to get her fixed to be a "Responsible" owner??? But the fact of the matter was ... I had already been doing what a responsible owner does, they keep there unfixed female from getting pregnant.

I know that is of uh ... no help. But I figure if I succumbed to peer pressure as it were, so have others??? The nuts and bolts of the issue are early spaying cuts off the hormones and such necessary for growth. One year to 18 months is a more reasonable compromise. On the other hand ... my Working GSD was a rescue and he was fixed at 6 months and at 116 lbs (oversize GSD) being fixed early ... did not affect his growth or uh attitude!! So you know ... sometimes ... "Crap Happens," this may not be related at all to the early spaying, I don't know???

Victor's dog food has a Glucosamine/ Chondroitin dog food :

https://www.chewy.com/victor-performance-formula-dry-dog/dp/120684?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Victor&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvU81hoR3KJFRhTqpDeU4PQl9kZ5cXRes9YVOjok_j8-PGpgCanSorUaAktxEALw_wcB

I would consider switching to that for the long run. In addition to consulting with your vet on what the deal is now. And sorry she is having issues. :(

Is that her in your avatar?? Do you have anymore pictures of her, she looks like a real cutie. :)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Sorry she is having problems. It is not so unusual , though she is young to have any hip dysplasia that usually doesn't happen till they are older, at least in dogs I've had. It is a fairly new theory that if you spay or neuter a dog prior to the growth plates being developed,and lack of hormones they are more at risk for problems, google dr. karen becker on spaying & neutering. Even though she came from health tested parents stuff happens, just like with people we do it as right as we can then end up with health problems. I have my dogs on Victor with the glucosamine/condroitin, I have a terrier that was limping badly so we switched over, she also gets a fish oil supplement and occasionally the chewed pill also for joints. She is now doing very well and no longer limping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pearl is doing fine. She is on limited exercise for a while and a glucosamine supplement called Dasuquin.

Chip.. Yes that's Pearl the Nucklehead!!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Pearl is doing fine. She is on limited exercise for a while and a glucosamine supplement called Dasuquin.

Chip.. Yes that's Pearl the Nucklehead!!
I found the picture of her, in your first post. My what a cutie. :)

Do you have any recent pictures, I know it's a bit off topic but hey she's cute. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts