Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reason for joining boxer forums has to do with the health concerns I have for Kramer. I'm hoping that the knowledge and experiences of others on the forum will help me alleviate the fairly common suffering Kramer seems to go through on a day to day basis.

Overall Kramer is a very happy boy. We got him when he was a puppy and now at 5 years old and considered a senior, he seems to go through stomach pains on a regular basis. His stomach will make terrible noises, he will give off terrible gas and he won't eat or drink anything for a couple of days, until he feels better. He will also dry heave and sometimes vomit bile. Other times he might vomit his actual food (sometimes its been digested and sometimes it hasn't been). Even if I put food out for him, if he's feeling sick he won't touch it.

These stomach issues started when he was probably 2.5 - 3 years old. He's been taken to the vet countless times, he's been tested, had blood drawn, gone for ultrasounds ... the whole nine yards. We think the issue, as we were told by our vet, is either irritable bowel syndrome or pancreatitis, which our vet wasn't able to confirm.

He gets 2 small meals a deal, 1.5 cups of dry food in the morning and in the evening, with about 10 hours between meals. Before each meal he gets one Pepcid AC tablet in liquid form which I feed to him with a syringe. We have also tried adding a crushed tablet to his food, but this doesn't seem to work as well.

He initially used to eat Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet consisting of lamb and rice. The vet then put him on Royal Canine Hydrolyzed HP. The HP worked for a while, but these past 2 weeks have not gone well. So today we decided to put him back on Nutro, the same lamb and rice diet, and we'll see how that goes over the next couple of weeks.

Are there any other foods we can try? I've read that some owners have used yogurt and pumpkin.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wish I had some answers for you, but i don't. We have been giving Jax a tablespoon of pumpkin a day to help soften his stool until his hernia can get taken care of. We have also been giving Jax some chicken and rice along with his food, and he loves it. We make his chicken and rice with chicken and white rice only. We do not add any seaoning to it at all. I hope you find out some answers for him soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jaxsmom!

We also tried cooking plain chicken and veggies for him. He absolutely loved it but the same issues kept coming up.

It is definetely a trial and error process.

Wish they could talk to us so we could figure it out sooner rather than later!

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
My 2 recent additions do have somewhat sensible stomachs,I feed them a mixture of raw and kibble (kibble is dried raw);but what seems to be doing them the most good is the 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt I add to their meals; farts are few and gurgling noises all but gone (took a couple weeks)

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
There's a special blood test that can help in diagnosing pancreatitis called a Spec cPL, I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend that.

Most boxers do better on a quality grain free kibble. Don't give treats or table scraps since he has a sensitive tummy. Also a probiotic and digestive enzyme can help.

:)

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
There's a special blood test that can help in diagnosing pancreatitis called a Spec cPL, I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend that.

Most boxers do better on a quality grain free kibble. Don't give treats or table scraps since he has a sensitive tummy. Also a probiotic and digestive enzyme can help.

Aw ... I was wondering where you were. :)

OP ... go with that and I'll just refrain from going at your vet myself .... but yeah you are paying him to know this stuff. :)

And the "Royal Cain" food well by and large it's just over priced crap! But ... generally speaking if it helps Cats/Dogs with "issues" it "usually does it well. And as long as it's working ... people are kinda trapped?? I know becasue I had a male cat for 18-19 years who could only eat "Royal Cain Kibbel" S/O (for UTI's) if I dared try something "better" he had problems!

But you said his "R/C" stopped working for him in any case?? Of course there is always the option of just a pure raw diet. And there are a few companies that do pre made raw foods. There in the freezer sections of most mayor pet stores. Kinda pricey but it could get you over the hump and help with the learning curve on the "Raw Diet." It's to confusing for me but lots of people do it "properly."

On the grain free kibble front ... maybe a different brand would be a better option?? Costco makes "Natures Domain" and "Victor's" is also a very good "Grain Free" food. There are others but those two, I am familiar with.

Can't say if they will be suitable for your dog of course ... just throwing them out there. And this is site a you should be aware of.:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Hope your dog gets better. :)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This is a good article on pancreatitis, and you can find one on low-fat diets also. If it's chronic pancreatitis I think they recommend a fat percent of 10% calculated using a dry matter calculation. I'm surprised your vet has not referred you for an ultrasound, or done the Spec-cPL test. Pancreatitis can mean tremendous pain, and often death, if left untreated. There's a Hill's Z/D hypoallergenic vet diet that might work out well, and keep him stable for awhile. Most low-fat diets have a lower protein percentage, and more calories coming from carbs. If he has lots of mucous, and blood in his stool there may be IBD too.

DogAware.com Articles: Pancreatitis in Dogs

·
Registered
237 Posts

This is just what we went thur with callie. started dec 8. she was a very sick dog. Our vet ran the test that Gypsiemouse stated, plus Callie was dehydrated. They Hydrated her, and sent us home with antibiotic and chicken rice diet. she seemed to be feeling better, but still very quite and I felt looked depressed. it was a week later and we were suppose to start her back slowly on her food. second day in to her normal eating , she stopped eating again, loose stool, and threw up her food. we put her back on chicken rice. she wouldnt eat the rice but loved the chicken. she was getting 4 breast a day with some pumpkin. she seemed better but was dropping weight fast. I took a sample of her stool in because I didn't like what I was seeing. mucus and lots. came back bad infection. then the next day she broke and split a nail. concerned of her wt. and toe nail I took her in again. her wt. was 55 before she became ill, when I put her on the scale she weighed 46. The vet, different from the first time in was very concerned at her wt. loss. and saw that she had been in two weeks earlier for pancreatitis. we tested her again. her no# was still high and she was very dehydrated again.We left her for 3 days. and the vet treated her very aggressively. She is home now back on her normal food, we have added can to mix in a digestive enzyme, and probiotic. she's gaining weight back, and her activity his coming back. we did a lot of blood test to see where her levels were at. I think what happened the first time was we never got her hydrated, and she wasn't digesting properly. she was on 4 other meds now just digestive enzyme, and probiotic, which we will keep her on. I don't know if these were some of the things you are going thur, but if callie wouldn't have responded our next test would have been ultra sound. we are keeping fingers crossed that we don't have this happen again. My heart goes out to you I hope you get some answers as I know its hard to see your dog so sick.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I would try a Limited Ingredient kibble, preferably one with lower fat content. If it is pancreatitis or IBS, the lower fat content will be easier on digestion.

Here's a list of better quality low fat dog foods:
Best Low Fat Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

I'm a big fan of Acana, so that is definitely the one that I would choose if I were in your situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts