Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud owner of 2 Beautiful, Funny, Loving Boxers. A 3 year old female and a 2 year old male. Before my 3 yr old came into our lives we had a 6 year old female that died of Cardiomyopothy. By the time it was detected she was too far gone. This time my Hallie girl had what I call an "episode" last Friday. She was excited to see us from being out and all of a sudden she stopped her wiggling and she froze for about 1 minute. The next morning we were at the vet and after an X-ray we were told that her heart was enlarged, but that was alll they knew. Well my heart sank, I couldn't believe with all of our research on this subject and finding the right breeder that this wouldn't happen to us again, atleast not this soon. I found a fantastic doctor in my area who specializes in Boxers and all of the heart diseases that they succom to. After ultrasounds and EEG's, and a 24 Holter we found out that she is at a stage 4. She has an enlarged left ventricle which is preventing her heart from pumping correctly and she has an arythmia that is in clusters at times. The doctor put us on Enapril, Digoxin, Betapace, plus the vitamins: L-Carnitine,Taurine, and CoQ-10. Our doctor is a fighter and has said he has seen dogs present at a stage 4 but after this concoction of meds have come back in a month showing little signs of major heart problems.

So my question to all of you is anyone experiencing this right now? If your on these meds does it seem to be working? Will this prolong her life? Does anyone have any experience with natural medications?

I have never been through this whole process since my previous female was gone within 3 days of seeing the vet. I am trying to be positive and strong but it is hard. Any imput on your situations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hallie's Mom

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
my bosses dog has an enlarged heart alsom, hes doing really well now.  But i know its really hard on her

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
My previous boxer, Buster had boxer cardiomyopathy, along with about every other problem you can think of. He was on Enapril for about 3 years, from age three when he was diagnosed until he passed at age 6 1/2.  He was diagnosed a stage 2 though. The enapril helped him tremendously, and had no other symptoms of a heart problem after we put him on it. He would get out of breath really quick after playing, but we just wouldn't let him over do it, especially when it was really hot outside. It really was a wonder drug to us. If I would skip a day or two of the meds, I could really tell a difference in his breathing at night. Your vet seems very knowledgable on this, and it's great that he is a fighter. It's hard to find vets that truly care nowadays. This does not have to be a death sentence, it can be controlled with meds.
Buster lived another 3 1/2 years after being diagnosed and his heart wasn't even the thing that killed him. So hang in there and good luck finding the right mix of meds that works for your girl.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  :D

Lisa

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I am on my 3rd one in a row with heart disease.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum..Very sorry to hear about Hallie...I have not had to deal with any major health issues so far with any of mine, but it sounds to me that you have a wonderful vet, which is great. You are doing all the right things it sounds like, so now just be supportive and loving to Hallie and here's hoping she has many good years....

We'd love to see some pictures  :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts