Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with the breeder and she informed me that Keifer has a heart mumur.   :?  It's a grade 1 mumur and the vet referred to it as "innocent" --she also  said he would most likely grow out of it. I've been doing some research online and while I've found that a grade 1 mumur is considered low risk...I'm still a bit worried, there is still a chance it could worsen with age right? I'm really unsure what to do; she said we could take the other male if we wanted...but I don't know if we want to do that after we've fallen for Keifer...should I even be worried?

I'm calling their vet in a few minutes so that should shed some light.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
A Grade I murmer would not keep me from getting the pup......It most certain could outgrow it.......At the same time it may not....and yes it could get worse over time, but it may not.....it is a wait and see game on that one....but like I have said before you could get a pup that does not have one now and it could develop one later.....If it were a Grade III or above I would say for sure to locate a different pup....but again I would take a I.....:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Alexa, there are so many uncertainties with these babies, Myself, I would still take him...Like Sharon said, chances are that Keifer will grow out of it....No different than if I had taken Flick in for his wellness and found something, would I have taken him back to Rhonda? No way, I would make the best of what I had..There are no certainties in life, even from 2 health tested parents, we all know that things can happen....

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ladies. I don't think we would have ever not gotten him unless it was more severe....its just SCARY to think about if it ever got worse...it sort of made me a bit concerned. You made a good point Sharon about even if a pup doesn't have a murmur he can certainly develop one later.

As a lot of you know, I'm a big worrier when it comes to this kind of stuff...so thanks for easing my mind!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We all worry about our babies, that's why we are nervous wrecks!  :lol: It never hurts to ask questions, me, I would rather have all the facts up front, than not know what I could be facing....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with Sharon and Willow on this one. I would still take him. So many pups are diagnosed with heart murmurs, and do grow out of them within a few months. But then again, I understand your worry. It is a tough decision, one that you will have to weigh carefully. These babies are so predisposed to so many health issues, there really is no guarantees from wherever you aquire them from. I've learned to just take things one day at a time, and certainly treasure each day with them. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You might look into what's called "minor flow murmers".  It says they are commonly found in Boxers but most disappear by about 16 weeks.  Is your vet very familiar with the breed?

Years ago our vet heard a murmer at about 8 weeks, but had us wait.  It went away, and a cardiogram he had years later showed no abnormalities at all.  I know you're scared.  It's going to be something worrying me when we get a new pup in August.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
as long as he does not have to live his first 6 months on metronidazole you have it made :) hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sharonL\";p=\"127774 said:
as long as he does not have to live his first 6 months on metronidazole you have it made :) hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

:lol: Good point! That was fun...... 8O  :roll:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
How scary for you. I think I've read or heard these can also be called "puppy murmurs" because they usually outgrow them. Hopefully Keifers is slight and will be gone by 3 - 4 months old. Hugs, from one worrier to another ~X(  :lol:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Alexa..

girl from another point of view..."if" he didnt grow out of it..there is no person in this world that will love him more than YOU !!! thats how i see it..4 real..

but i think he'll be ok..i agree with ^^^ them lol...ask questions and know whats there...just keep an eye..i think he'll be jsut fine :D

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i agree with what everyone else said.. don't stress yourself out too much!! everything will be ok.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Like I posted in another section heart murmurs are common IMO amongt puppies of Boxers.   Most are due to stress and things related and many do go away.   Best IMO to not get so torn up about it, and just see what happens in the next couple of months.     The good news is that the dogs are being screened for everything throughly before being placed - and they are being 100% honest with you  - that right here would make me feel good about the pup - many breeder would just place the dog without notification esp if labeled a "1" "Innocent".

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"127909":1ryneqt7]Like I posted in another section heart murmurs are common IMO amongt puppies of Boxers.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I don't know anything about heart mumur's at all so I thought I'd better ask the question here to see what you all thought about it. I was just concerend about Keifer's health and wanted to make sure it wasn't anything that would affect him later in life
Yep its the glory of a forum!!!   Get to ask tons of questions and get all points of views!!!!!    I'd be concerned too - heck I freaked after Hanna was with me for a week an had a UTI!!!!    Best to get the vet, breeder and others opinions and weight them out.  Cannot wait to see the pictures!!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe has a grade 1 murmur also. She never out grew hers but she's a little over 3 yrs old now and it hasn't gotten any worse.  From the way she runs around and is so active you would never know it! Like Heather said as least they are being totally honest with you and letting you know before hand. The idiot we got Chloe from never mentioned it to me but even if she had I would still of got her. It just would of been nice knowing before hand.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said.  Can't wait to see the stacked photos.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Many puppies have innocent puppy murmurs. In fact, all three of my bitches have had puppy murmurs and all three have gone away upon reaching adulthood. Two of them have cleared their Echocardiograms with no problems.

The science behind it is because puppies hearts beat so much faster than adult hearts do, so the blood is pushed through the heart quicker, giving more opportunity for a bit of back flow (which is what causes the whooshing sound that is the murmur). As the hearts grow and as heart rate slows down, the murmurs tend to disappear.

Also important to note that a grade 1 murmur, even on an adult dog is still breedable (you can breed up to a 2).

A grade 1 would not prevent me from buying the puppy, but a grade 3, 4, or 5 is another story.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BurningRiver";p="128418 said:
Many puppies have innocent puppy murmurs. In fact, all three of my bitches have had puppy murmurs and all three have gone away upon reaching adulthood. Two of them have cleared their Echocardiograms with no problems.

The science behind it is because puppies hearts beat so much faster than adult hearts do, so the blood is pushed through the heart quicker, giving more opportunity for a bit of back flow (which is what causes the whooshing sound that is the murmur). As the hearts grow and as heart rate slows down, the murmurs tend to disappear.

Also important to note that a grade 1 murmur, even on an adult dog is still breedable (you can breed up to a 2).

A grade 1 would not prevent me from buying the puppy, but a grade 3, 4, or 5 is another story.
Thanks for the helpful information Jessica :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts