Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm just after some support really!

Just got back from taking Rox to the vets for a skin condition (he's confirmed my suspisions and it's food allergies so we're gonna try some different foods) but as it was her first time at the vet since she was 10 weeks old I wanted to ask some more questions.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: Heart murmour - support :(

I haven't been through that but I really don't think the vet should have said that to you...if there's nothing to be concerned w/ now he should have left it at that...there is no reason to put panic and fear into a situation that may never even happen

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Aww, I know the feelings you are feeling right now. With my last boxer it seemed everytime I went to the vet's office I was given bad news about his health. A lot of times puppies will out grow their heart murmers, so I don't think you need to worry just yet.
My last boxer was diagnosed with boxer cardiomyopathy, and I was told that he could suffer heart failure at any time and just basically fall over and die. Talk about a panic attack! He had about 2 fainting spells before he saw a cardiologist for some tests and was put on meds for his condition and he never had another heart or fainting episode after that. They can live very full and normal lives after being diagnosed with a heart condition.
Try to relax, Roxy wasn't given a death sentence by any means. I think the vet was just being very frank about it and what could happen. I don't agree with what he said to you, because he doesn't even know if Roxy has a heart issue. The time we have with our boxers is never long enough, so try not to waste any time by thinking of what could happen and when her life could end. Just take it day by day and enjoy the time together!  :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

[quote="tootsie\";p=\"54145":3t4xh0wz]Aww, I know the feelings you are feeling right now. With my last boxer it seemed everytime I went to the vet's office I was given bad news about his health. A lot of times puppies will out grow their heart murmers, so I don't think you need to worry just yet.
My last boxer was diagnosed with boxer cardiomyopathy, and I was told that he could suffer heart failure at any time and just basically fall over and die. Talk about a panic attack! He had about 2 fainting spells before he saw a cardiologist for some tests and was put on meds for his condition and he never had another heart or fainting episode after that. They can live very full and normal lives after being diagnosed with a heart condition.
Try to relax, Roxy wasn't given a death sentence by any means. I think the vet was just being very frank about it and what could happen. I don't agree with what he said to you, because he doesn't even know if Roxy has a heart issue. The time we have with our boxers is never long enough, so try not to waste any time by thinking of what could happen and when her life could end. Just take it day by day and enjoy the time together!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Wow...talk about poor "tableside manner"..... I have seen plenty of larger breed dogs have a heart murmur's and live a normal life span....So, just because they hear one does not mean it can not still go away, does not mean that it will not stay low grade and never cause an issue (they do not always become worse with age) and even if there are further issues in later years there are medications to help control heart issues....

There is no need to worry right now and if it is an issue later and that could be a big IF then you deal with it at that time but they can not speculate that your dog will get sick and have major problems by a certain age....I have a 12 year old Shih Tzu that comes in that his heart sounds like a washing machine....I would easily say that if a 10 was on the grading chart he would be an 11 :)

G

·
0 Posts

I can't stand doctors...no offense Sharon...that is why I am going to be a PA,not a Dr...
I don't believe in giving a timeline for death..I don't believe in worrying people beyond what is necessary...for him to tell you that your dog is going to have problems 3-4 years from now..when there is no specific evidence of such...is totally wrong...if he is part of a clinic with other vets, I would def. call and complain...also...request not to see him again...blah..vets...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I sure don't like vets that have no compassion for peoples feelings.  I have found that most small animal vets are very nice and usually have a good "beside manner (for lack of a better term)" but the larger animal vets (in my experience) have lacked in compassion; went to two and both were the same.  Sharon is the best and helped me to see that feeding Kiah pro plan didn't make me a bad mom since it was not the "best" food; it is what was best for her and that made me a good mom.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree with what was already said about your vet's attitude...It's one thing to be truthful and explain what could possibly happen, but there are ways to put things that are a wee bit more diplomatic...Hopefully Roxy's murmer isn't serious and it's something she grows out of as a lot of pups do, but definitely something to keep checking....So sorry your vet scared the crap out you, there was no cause for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts