Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok i have had 8 boxers in 30 years. My tucker is the first with heart conditions. I chose a breeder, who said her dogs were genetically tested - and raised on a diet of raw food ( fallbrook breeders out of san antonio - jennnifer prince ) tucker had a heart murmur at 10 weeks, which we have monitored. he is 2.5 yrs now and he had similar episodes recently, and his heart murmur was moved to grade 4. the cardiologist determined the interior valve was too small, and that caused his collapse the first time, however, he has had episodes which were not a total collapse but he needed to lie down.. tucker does not get to play like a regular boxer due to his condition, and the breeder will not do anything to compensate or take the pup back at 10 weeks and onwards.

tucker wears a heart and pulse/activity monitor that i found at petpace.com. and is on antenol 2x a day. he cannot go play with other dogs or go out for long walks or playtime with other dogs. do an EKG, ECG, and find a vet cardiologist.

Should your pup collapse - my vet recommended soothing the dog, dont try to get them up and dont let them have that level of activity again, dont let them out in the heat, and reduce the walks to 5 minutes. tuckers pulse is monitored and some days he doesn't get a walk because his pulse is too high. however he is with me and in the best place, he could be to live out his life as most breeders would euthanize them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ok i have had 8 boxers in 30 years. My tucker is the first with heart conditions. I chose a breeder, who said her dogs were genetically tested - and raised on a diet of raw food ( fallbrook breeders out of san antonio - jennnifer prince ) tucker had a heart murmur at 10 weeks, which we have monitored. he is 2.5 yrs now and he had similar episodes recently, and his heart murmur was moved to grade 4. the cardiologist determined the interior valve was too small, and that caused his collapse the first time, however, he has had episodes which were not a total collapse but he needed to lie down.. tucker does not get to play like a regular boxer due to his condition, and the breeder will not do anything to compensate or take the pup back at 10 weeks and onwards.

tucker wears a heart and pulse/activity monitor that i found at petpace.com. and is on antenol 2x a day. he cannot go play with other dogs or go out for long walks or playtime with other dogs. do an EKG, ECG, and find a vet cardiologist.

Should your pup collapse - my vet recommended soothing the dog, dont try to get them up and dont let them have that level of activity again, dont let them out in the heat, and reduce the walks to 5 minutes. tuckers pulse is monitored and some days he doesn't get a walk because his pulse is too high. however he is with me and in the best place, he could be to live out his life as most breeders would euthanize them.
Sorry to hear about Tucker, but its great you are doing everything for him to make him comfortable and have a somewhat normal life.(y)

·
Registered
560 Posts

I lost two boxers to DCM they were on Pimobendon or they call it Vetmedin made a huge difference for them for awhile helping their hearts work better its expensive but it works. They felt much better when it was working for them and were almost normal still had to watch the activity level but it was worth the money. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through this with your puppy. Satchel was eight when he collapsed the firs time. His collapse ended up being a third av block for which he now has a pacemaker. Glad you are taking him to a cardiologist.
My 5yr old boxer, Brutus, collapsed a few times. Each time he would empty his bowels and urinate on the sidewalk. I took him to the vet and they referred me to a cardiologist. After several tests they determined that he had right a ventricle cardiomyopathy. The Cardiologist at CVCA in Vienna Virginia recommended a mild oral treatment at first. After a month on this treatment, my Brutus collapsed at daycare and was in cardiac arrest. He survived and the cardiologist then recommended a more advanced treatment of mexiletine in combination with another drug. Once we got him adjusted to the medications he was fine and lived another five years. His life was mostly normal, but he wasn’t able to Run at a sprint or play aggressively for long periods of time. The treatments have come along way and I am no longer afraid of this disease in boxers. The key, is catching it early and getting a cardiologist that will work with you and your pet. After the first year of diagnosis, he was only to be seen by the cardiologist once per year for routine tests and his treatment did not change. I urge you to seek a cardiologist who specializes In boxers who can address the problem and get it under control.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My 5yr old boxer, Brutus, collapsed a few times. Each time he would empty his bowels and urinate on the sidewalk. I took him to the vet and they referred me to a cardiologist. After several tests they determined that he had right a ventricle cardiomyopathy. The Cardiologist at CVCA in Vienna Virginia recommended a mild oral treatment at first. After a month on this treatment, my Brutus collapsed at daycare and was in cardiac arrest. He survived and the cardiologist then recommended a more advanced treatment of mexiletine in combination with another drug. Once we got him adjusted to the medications he was fine and lived another five years. His life was mostly normal, but he wasn’t able to Run at a sprint or play aggressively for long periods of time. The treatments have come along way and I am no longer afraid of this disease in boxers. The key, is catching it early and getting a cardiologist that will work with you and your pet. After the first year of diagnosis, he was only to be seen by the cardiologist once per year for routine tests and his treatment did not change. I urge you to seek a cardiologist who specializes In boxers who can address the problem and get it under control.
My dogs got DCM from grain free dog food I am fairly sure of this my female had an echo before she ever ate grain free and it was normal two years later she is dead from DCM my young male was only 3 when he got it ate the same dog food so what I take away from that is it takes about 2 years for the food to work against the heart muscle. I also know of 2 more dogs that the same thing happened to The DCM my dogs got was dramatic and pretty quick both of them with medication only lived 3 months after diagnosis. I DO fear this disease it was horrible watching my babies die from this. I do believe the FDA should make dog food manufacturers put warning labels on the food if I had known about this I would never have used it. Very painful lesson learned. My dog saw cardiologists as well there really wasn't much that could have been done for them and every case is different. I am glad you got to have more time with your dog.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts