Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows of any boxers that have had a heart murmurs?  My 3 month old has a heart murmur and I got him a echocardiogram.  The vet said that he has tissue around his valves that may or maynot grow with him.  I have read up about heart murmurs in boxers and it sounds pretty scary.  Does anyone have any helpful stories?

:signhelp:

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's not very helpful, but Hector also has a heart murmur.  We could have returned him to the breeder for that as she claimed to have done the heart testing, but even after just one day there was no way we were giving him back!

The vet said that a lot of puppies often grow out of their heart murmurs, and when we bring him back at 6 months to be neutered, she said they will test him for it then, so fingers crossed.  However, she said that even if it doesn't ease, that with careful care and management he could still have a very happy and easy life, with an age expectancy of around 7 years.

Obviously I am hoping against hope that he will be one of the lucky ones who grows out of a murmur, but whatever happens we will do the best we can for him for as long as we can, and love him to absolute bits.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Heart murmurs are fairly common in Boxer puppies, and they often do grow out of them.  If they don't, it still may not be a problem - Boxers in general have narrower aortas, which means more 'noise' on auscultation.  If there is a physical abnormality, generally it is Aortic Stenosis (AS); there are several levels of disease with AS, but mildly and moderately affected dogs for the most part tend to live normal lives (though some may need to avoid prolonged exercise, especially in the heat and humidity, and some may benefit from medication).  

Generally with puppy murmurs, I think anything above a grade 2 should be seen by a cardiologist.  Grade 1 or 2 should be monitored, and if still present at 6-9 months, a visit to the cardiologist is probably not a bad idea.  (One thing to note is that cardiologists will often grade murmurs differently than general practice vets; personally, I always go with what the cardiologist says, because that's pretty much all they do, is listen to hearts.)  If the cardiologist also hears a murmur, then a Doppler Echocardiogram is a good idea to determine the underlying cause (remember, "murmur" is a symptom, not a diagnosis).  I would probably have any puppy with a murmur at six months rechecked by a cardiologist at one year and again at two years; generally by two years, the level of severity is going to remain pretty much unchanged, and you can have a better idea of how to manage the  condition and what the life expectancy will be.  (To give an idea, I had a moderately-affected dog, with a grade 2-3 murmur, who was medicated and lived to be nine years old.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts