Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you all buy directly from your vet, or do you order online? Which heart worm prevention do you all use? Banfield does not carry Heartgard, and they put my chato on WormShield? Anyone know about wormshield? Thanx...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I buy directly from the vet since they are not the same weight yet.  They have them on Interceptor.  I will buy in bulk once they get the the same size which shouldn't be too much longer.  I think Gunner will outgrow Scout soon.

Sorry but I have not heard anything about wormshield.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have never heard of wormshield..My dogs have always been on Heartguard & it's a lot cheaper online, same with your flea protection...You do need a doctors perscription for your heartworm meds online (at least with the one I use), but not for the flea stuff...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone used Revolution which takes care of heartworms as well as fleas?  If so, what is your opinion on it?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've been using Revolution for well over 7 years now. I love the ease of it. Just put it on and it takes care of heartworm, fleas, sarcoptic mange, and ear mites. I live in south florida where there are lots of mosquitos, so I think it really does it's job.

As far as wormshield goes....I've never heard of it. Is that a pill or a topical? Love to hear more about that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So far, I have no complaints about revolution either.  I like that it is sort of an all-in-one.  Where I live there are lots of mosquitos as well (and ticks).  Just wanted to hear others' opinions.  Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wormshield: Ivermectin/pyrantel Flavored Chewables.

I just got the box to do some research, the following is there website.
www.schuylerproducts.com

It must be in correspondence to Banfield Pet Hospital, because Glen Haven products are also on that webpage.

I would like to here more about revolution, seems to be an all in one, and I too have a bunch of mosquitoes where I'm at. Thanx

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I also hadn't heard of Revolution, but it's sounds interesting, esp as it's an all in one...I'm using Frontline Plus right now & it's very effective & yes we have them pesky mosquitos also...Ahh, life in the south...

·
Registered
64 Posts
My only advise about Revolution is to make sure your puppy is not underweight while using it.  When I brought Chance home as a puppy he was underweight (but that

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
There is a lot of controversy about Revolution. I just can't figure out what it is. My friend went to her vet up in NY and requested it for her dog, and she said the vet shuddered and said Revolution is no good, but wouldn't say what was wrong with it. I mean I know it is basically a poison you put on your dog, but isn't everything else? Like I said before, I've used it now for over seven years, maybe that was one of the things that caused Busters seizures???? I guess I'll never know. Maybe I'll switch to Heartguard for the heartworm prevention and only use something like Frontline if I ever see fleas. I really hate putting poison on my dog every month, but I don't want to deal with fleas either. That is why I liked the Revolution, because it took care of everything in one dose. Does everyone here use flea control every month, or only in season, or when they see fleas? I just used up my last dose of Revolution this month, so I'll have to make a decision on what to try. I guess all meds carry a risk of something. I was reading some info on the wormshield and read that collies are at more risk of side effects from using that product. It just strikes me weird that certain breeds are affected differently.  :roll:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Collies have a mutation which makes them unable to remove drugs such as ivermectin from the brain as a normal dog would; this leads to neurological problems and sometimes death.

Revolution is one of the leading veterinary drugs with adverse events reported, which might be why some people avoid it.  (Sentinel is another one; they're 5 & 6 on the list, but I can't remember which is in which spot.  Rimadyl is #1, by a landslide.)  As well, some people are averse to treating a dog for parasites which it doesn't have.  

Personally, the only flea "preventive" I use is garlic. :)  Of course, my dogs are on a raw diet and holistic lifestyle, which makes a big difference.  We used to give Frontline, but only seasonally (so, like one dose in June - the flea portion works for three months, so we didn't need to repeat it until the following year, and ticks aren't a concern where I live).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
At this time of year I use the Frontline every 2 months & if I still get good results come warmer weather, I'll keep up that routine.. I had been using garlic in Samson's food, but to be honest, it didn't seem to work as well and his breath and his coat didn't smell the greatest  :eek: . Since I've taken him off of it, his coat doesn't smell as bad & his breath, well, it's gotten better, only cos I have been brushing his teeth a lot... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

RE: Heartguard

I too have found that my vet now uses their own brand of hearworm "wormshield".  They said it is the same as Heartguard, just less expensive.

Buy from    petsuppliesnet.com   I have been doing so for a couple of years now.  I buy 2 Heartguard plus for 51-100 lbs dogs 6-month boxes for $57.90.  They are $28.95 each.  Banfield used to charge $55.25 for ONE.  Wormshield is $44.95 for one.  I have been saving lots of $$$ with petsuppliesnet.com.  I also get all my flea/tick stuff from them too!!

Hope to save you all some $$$

Kim

·
Registered
26 Posts
The important thing is that the drug first off causes minimal complications or reactions. Second...as long as the active ingredients are the same (ivermectin/pyrantel)...regardless of price, it will still do the same thing as the more expesive stuff.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I use to use Interceptor but we moved vets and now use Heartguard! I only give it to her in the warmer months along with the Frontline!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also purchase directly from my vet. I used to use Interceptor, but it is much more expensive than HeartGard is, so I switched to that. I only give it during the months during which the temperatures get above 60 degrees though, so basically June - Oct/Nov.

Like Jennifer, I don't use flea preventative unless absolutely necessary. I also feed raw, but I do have one kibble fed dog that has not had a problem. I also have a long haired indoor only kitty who acts as my "gauge" of whether or not my guys have fleas. If I see her itching in the summer, I check her over, and if I find a flea, I treat all three with Frontline at that point in time. Having said that, I haven't had to do that in about three or four years. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts