Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a boxer that has made it ok through Heartworm treatment. My wife and I are about to adopt a white boxer from an animal rescue. We signed the paperwork and were really excited and they did the test and unfortunately like too many dogs here in the South, he was Heartworm positive. What a buzzkill!

We lost a chihuahua that died a horrific death due to late detection of Heartworms when we were younger and uneducated about them so I’m a strong believer in getting dogs put on a preventative.

I’ve never owned a boxer, currently have a chihuahua and Frenchie who’ve we’ve brought to the shelter to meet the boxer and fortunately they got along. I have lived with a roommate in college for a little while that had a beautiful fawn and white boxer and this guy was one of best dogs I’ve ever met and turned me on to owning one someday.

Sorry for the long first post, I’m just looking for some back ground of anyone that has went through treatment with a boxer and just looking for some positive results for encouragement. I think the hardest part is going to be keeping this guy crated. He’s two years old and really energetic and that definitely makes me nervous.

Thanks for any replies, experiences and encouragement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry I don’t have any experience with heart worm treatment, but just wanted to say good on you for adopting that boy. The expense and time needed for his recovery will be well worth it in the long run. Once you have a boxer you’ll always want one...you’ll see what I’m talking about in due time. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I've treated a rottweiler in the past for heart worm and she did very well. Also my neighbor found a boxer mix several years ago, it turned out to have a really bad case of heart worm. They treated the dog and while she had days of not feeling well she pulled thru and has lived a long life. If it were me I'd go ahead and give it a chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I signed the papers today and am going to pick him up after his neuter surgery next week. I’m going to give him a little adjustment period and then start treatment.

Here’s a not so great pic from the rescue shelter. He’s much more handsome in person. Right now his name is “Dozer”. We might keep that or possibly change it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I signed the papers today and am going to pick him up after his neuter surgery next week. I’m going to give him a little adjustment period and then start treatment.

Here’s a not so great pic from the rescue shelter. He’s much more handsome in person. Right now his name is “Dozer”. We might keep that or possibly change it.

OK first ... that is a great photo!

And second since the dog is a rescue he most likely already Crate Trained?? If you want you could eventually do away with that Crate but not at first. Right now the Crate is your friend ... and it would behoove to follow the advise of others that have "been there done that."

I did not when I got my first rescue GSD ... that did not work out so well in the short run!

But mostly had I followed the advise in the first link here.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

I would not be here today??

In addition to that and admittedly, it's gonna be skipping the whole exercise thing. But you asked ...how to do I keep him calm?? Well you simply can't keep him crated throughout the full treatment period??

You should be able to walk him at least?? And if walking him is an issue?? I got that covered.

But if you "Just Got A Rescue" see the first post in that thread. :)

And in addition ... to your question "how do I keep him calm??" Well ... that is actually a skill that cn be trained! And it is comparable with your needs!

So here you go.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

As always ask questions and congratulations and welcome aboard! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
.there is a protocol for exercise during heart worm treatment. Back when ...little to no exercise post treatment, so most likely this dog will only be walked for bathroom needs, and will be crated or kept in an area where he can't get overly excited. I guess a lot of it also depends on how infested he is. With some dogs you hardly notice and with others they are are not even energetic for the first few days after a treatment.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
.there is a protocol for exercise during heart worm treatment. Back when ...little to no exercise post treatment, so most likely this dog will only be walked for bathroom needs, and will be crated or kept in an area where he can't get overly excited. I guess a lot of it also depends on how infested he is. With some dogs you hardly notice and with others they are are not even energetic for the first few days after a treatment.
Hmm well everything is subject to interpretation.

One could still do "Sit on the Dog" between Point a and point b during potty breaks ... no exercise required.

But I'll have to dig deeper into the heart worm thing?? I had no idea the limitations on activity were that severe??

We don't have Mosquitoes, Fleas, Ticks or uh Porcupines out here, so my knowledge on the activity level for Heart Worm Treatment is uh ... nonexistent. Thanks for the heads up. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts

Congrats! On your boxer and adopting. We are in the SE US. There are 3 boxer rescue groups that I follow. As you noted, being HW positive is common in the rescues. I'd recommend reaching out to these to talk to a long-time foster and get first-hand experience info, and/or your vet.

I can PM you the rescues if you are interested. It's easy to pull up their websites and get contact data.

From what I've seen, keeping them in the crate is the most common way to keep them 'calm'. If they only understood the things we do to keep them safe and help them heal.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the helpful posts. Chip18, there’s a ton of information that you gave me there that I’m going to try and read through. I definitely appreciate it.

I’m excited about getting this guy home and getting him acclimated.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Thanks so much for all the helpful posts. Chip18, there’s a ton of information that you gave me there that I’m going to try and read through. I definitely appreciate it.

Well we will be standing by for a "Paws on the Ground Check in" as it were. :)

And yeah admitly ... I'm kinda wordy. :chatterbox:

But I like to give a lot of detail and insight, as to why I do/did what I do. And then I find trainers whose "Philosophy" I share to provide back up.

What I actually do and did (with my first (formerly H/A GSD) ... was actually pretty simple! So simple in fact ... that it took me literally years, to understand what I had done ... seemingly without much effort?? But there was Anger, Resentment and confusion in the beginning??

I just wanted to know "what to do" ... after I let go of the above. And I just took this.:

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Which is not "exactly a H/A dog rehab program?? But that's how I used it. I just put a more aggressive spin on it, in the beginning. Aggressive dogs uh "Bubble Dog's" dogs that need to be muzzled for a time to be safe in public. Are a threat to people, Fearful Dogs are afraid of people. The same approach works for both! All you need concern yourself with dog ... is me ... I got your back dog. :)

And if one has a dog without any people issues ... the same approach works but your are free to say "Please Do" if asked to pet ...KISS, in action. :)

So as I said ... I just took an article and modified, it to suit my needs and it worked out fine. And I try and help others to skip a lot of the learning curve and that takes a lot of words. :confused:

But now it seems it maybe your turn to put a spin on things?? I had no idea the "No Exercise" requirements were that severe?? And not being able to walk him is a serious handicap!

But to your credit you did pinpoint your biggest issue ... "keeping him calm!" And with a "Boxer" yeah that is a big deal!!

The techniques for training calmness into a dog are in the link I linked. But training Place ... takes lot's of repetitions ... usually??? But I "feel" that "sit On The Dog" is still a viable option?? If you can do at least that, then you can sneak calmness into him??

But ... with "Sit on the Dog" there is no actual command as such?? The dog seemly stops moving when you stop and just sit's or lays down ... whatever as long as he is not acting like a "nut Bag" it does not matter. But the dog does need to be on a leash for that to work.

As for training "Place" without all the repetitions ie activity. That could be tricker but ... I "feel" it can still be done ... if you can safely get do "Sit on the Dog" first???

And ... this is all theory, since "apparently" no has done it??? Sigh ...so here we go ago alot of words. But ... "assuming" Sit on the Dog goes well. That would mean that when you come inside from Potty Break. Instead of back in the Crate you keep the leash on your dog and he Sits by your side??

But when you move the dog will also ... as there command with Sit on the Dog. Buttt "my thought is " what if you sunk in the Place Command indoors??

When you come back inside and sit ... the dog has to Sit/lay Down somewhere if he is not in the Crate?? So ... what if you give him a "Place to Sit/Lay Down" and name it "Place??"

You can use a "Bath Rug Mat" and "Name" it Place. And if he goes there instead of somewhere else reward with a treat. And again if you move and he stays there ... he gets a treat for doing nothing. :)

The point to this ... is that when you get and move ... if the dog has an actual command that he knows ... instead of following you ... you could say "Place" and he would return to the mat!

And as I said (I think) this approach is just a "theory!" AFAIK no one has actually trained "Place" in this manner??

I have no idea ... if this can be done?? And yeah, it's a lot simpler to just bring the dog in after a potty break and put him back in the Crate.

But you know ... just because ...no one has done it before?? That does not mean ... it can't be done?? But it's not my dog and I'm just some guy on the internet! You have to use your best judgement for your dog! But I feel this "Theory" is sound. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Chip, How is your search going for a dog? Too bad you are so far away, I keep seeing both GSD and boxers needing rescue. Most of the rescues don't ship so thats a bummer. Our local rescue has 2 st. poodles right now, not your thing...but sure would have saved me some time & effort. LOL Pup is doing well now, still needs work but mostly distraction work now. Came across a loose dog the other day, while I yelled at it and through a pine cone at it, my pup sat quiet nicely, he didn't feel threatened . So that was a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Chip, How is your search going for a dog?
Oh I' still looking, but I guess I have a lot of requirements and some baggage from Struddell??

Being able to meet a "puppy" is important to me. And the closest, real Breeder to me is a couple hundred miles away. Well out West that's not a big deal ... but I "Won't" go to LA!! Traffic nightmare ... I hate that place! Uh but I digress.

So I found one in Sacrament about two hundred miles away and they do health test . But they ticked me off when I looked look at there health dogs. They have some that are Dm clear and they also some sell that are DM at risk, WTH??? Baggage from Struddell, would be full blown DM!

If I did not care, I'd just go to Craigslist, for an health tested puppy! And I seriously doubt that a newbie looking for a Boxer pup ... would even notice the at risk detail???

And the Ca and Las Vegas rescues are, expensive and they take away an "owner's right to chose." I'm not a breeder nor do I ever intend to be one??
Uh sorry but "NO ONE" would be good enough for one of my puppys! Not really a good starting point to be a successful "Breeder??"

Kinda to bad really ... because I bet I could produce some pretty amazing Al Boxers ... high heat and Bunny Rabbit chasing anyone. :)

But ... the Rescues that do have Boxers take away an owners choice and there dogs are priced the same as Craigslist puppys ... $500 bucks or so. And your still getting a dog with unknown history. So at the moment ... I'm kinda at an impasse???

Too bad you are so far away, I keep seeing both GSD and boxers needing rescue. Most of the rescues don't ship so that's a bummer.
LOL well I guess it's all about balance ... up here we have no Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitos or Porcupines. But we also seem to have a lot of ... is no Boxers available for adoption??? My old rescue group ... I no longer work with has "zero " Boxers" these days???

But I heard there is a GSD rescue near me?? Most likely they have no shortage of dogs with issues?? So I'll have to check them out for volunteer opportunities, but not for a dog. My next dog is kinda be White Boxer and a Girl ... that much I know. :)

Our local rescue has 2 st. poodles right now, not your thing...but sure would have saved me some time & effort. LOL Pup is doing well now, still needs work but mostly distraction work now. Came across a loose dog the other day, while I yelled at it and through a pine cone at it, my pup sat quiet nicely, he didn't feel threatened . So that was a step in the right direction.
LOL yeah I just don't Poodles?? But I've learned stuff and while there IQ is pretty much well know. They have a some other traits that few are aware of??? They have pretty good noses also?? As in Bomb sniffing and Drug Detection, who knew??

And yes I saw the "dog encounter the other day. And yeap you and your dog did great!!

And while on GSDFroum ... they would say "was this dog a threat to your dog and why are you having a Cow??? But that is not how I roll! No dog I do not know is allowed to get close enough to mine to do them harm! If a dog wants to my dogs ... then he knews to tell his owner to make an appointment for a pack walk as an introduction!

Charging my freaking dogs on the street is pretty poor beginning regardless of "Breed!" ANd your dogs behaviour while you dealt with this crap ... confirms a "Pretty Big" point!!

Which I felt was the case but I had no proof as it were!! While you dealt with this crap ... your dog was not a factor! He stood down and let "mommy" deal with this crap! Which is pretty much the exact same behaviour I got and expected from Rocky!

And since you have been outlining your experiences with your new dog and since I pretty much did the same thing you did! I have I can say that all you did for your dog to let you deal with this crap ... is walk your dog!

You should him what you wanted and how you expected him to behave. His default behaviour thus becomes ... let mommy dealt with it!! Now if the dog had gotten pass you?? I don't know what would have happened??

But the point is and I don't know but I seriously doubt that you let unknown dogs charge you to see what he do???

At any rate you and your dog did good! But ... your Poodle may be a"Stray Dog Magnet?? I don't know my American Band Dawg and Struddell, were not but Rocky for whatever was???

In any case, I would recommend to you to carry, a "Walking Stick." Crap happens and the next time ... you may not have "Pine Cones" available?? :)

And you'd use the walking stick to block the dog's advance!! I remember a few years ago there was a little old man with a little Dog and he always had a "Walking Stick" when he walked his dog. I always "assumed" that he had the "Walking Stick" for support for himself??? But now ... I'm not so sure???
As the saying goes "Walk Softly And Carry A Big Stick!!"

Fro many, many years I did not, but one dark night ... I missed up and Rocky did get nipped!!! That seriously ... ticked me off!! But Crap Happens and I made adjustments! And if you have not seen that thread, here you go.:

https://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/199033-argggg-dog-attack-yet-again-but-time.html

And at rate "great job" in protecting your dog, you guys did good! And a heads up in case you don't know ... most Dog Attacks occur ... close to home! And Shih Tzu's are freaking fast as well as uh kinda stupid???

!16 lbs of Wl GSD versus 25 lbs of Shih Tzu is not gonna end well for the Shih Tzu!! But the little miscreant ... did not care! So it was up to me to save him from himself!!

But if you look at there dogs's history ... they were "Place Guard's" in Chain for centuries!! They are certainly not "Man Stoppers" but they could hamstrings a dog if they grab a hold of back leg! And that is what they will aim for!! So being littelful, does not automatically equate to be harmless!!

Heck the only dog that ever bit with intent was a freaking Chi!!! I turned my back on him ... with utter contempt and he got me in the ankle!! Lesson learned. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Chip..I hoppe you find your white boxer girl soon....It will happen when you least expect
Of course I don't look for loose dogs, lol Hopefully these people whose dogs keep getting loose will be moving out soon. As I understand they were suppose to buy the house but leased it and the owner of the house is not happy with them...so it won't be long. For the most part people in my neighborhood are pretty good but stuff happens. Good idea on walking stick. I was trimming trees in my backyard and actually found a nice branch that will work meanwhile and I ordered some citronella spray, not sure that will work but whatever. I will keep it on me. I'm having some trouble with my feet, ankle and my knee, ugh so the stick it a good idea not to lose my balance if I have to ward off any dogs. This pup is usually a bit crazy but I got lucky and in was in listening mode.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Chip..I hope you find your white boxer girl soon....It will happen when you least expect.
Aww thanks and we'll see what happens. :)

Of course I don't look for loose dogs, lol
Well of course not but it would seem that some dogs are stray dogs magnets?? Gunther and thank god ... Struddell were not ( those were the early days) and if a dog came after here ... I'd have lost it!! But with Rocky OMG!! I think it was 17 times or so with him?? And only dog slipped past me ... and I had to work hard to have that happen! I can't see in the dark apparently ... and the EX MWD Drug Detection, female GSD ... apparently understood that!!!

Rocky got nipped and yelped and at that point I knew where she was (the GSD) ... kinda but GSD's you know ... so she figured she'd lost the advantage of darkness ... and the best course of action now was to get the heck out of Dodge!! That was a good call on her part!! But I was ticked, after that I now carry a Flashlight at night and a Walking Stick!! ANd the Walking Stick came in handy, three weeks later! IF I did not have the Lab gone wrong situation would have ended badly!! Most likely LE involvement, ER visits and Vet trips for everybody!!! But none of that happened because of my "proper use of a "Walking Stick!" :)

I ordered some citronella spray, not sure that will work but whatever.
Im gonna give my input on the Citronella Spray as a Countermeasure in my "Dog Attack Counter" thread. :)

I will keep it on me. I'm having some trouble with my feet, ankle and my knee, ugh so the stick it a good idea not to lose my balance if I have to ward off any dogs. This pup is usually a bit crazy but I got lucky and in was in listening mode.
Hmm, well that sucks! That's pretty much all the parts you need to be able to walk ...

And the Walking Stick ... I lost the site but you can find them online, from crazy prices to relative inexpensive ... less than 25 bucks I think??? The one I got was so funny wood I'd never heard of Not Balsa wood but very light. I kindas thought it would shatter if I ever had to use it???

But the day came when I had to use it! I was out of position and Rocky saw the threat first!!! The details are in my thread but bottom line, I slammed that stick down in front of that dog one handed!! And it made a loud Thwack sound!! That dog slammed on the brakes "HARD" ... problem solved. And my "Walking Stick" held up fine. That was "Epic!" :)

And as for your dog ... I don't what he was luck?? It was based on what you've done with him. He deferred to you in an "unfamiliar situation." Mom has my back so I'll let her deal with this crap. :)

That is ideal and necessary as it is extremely difficult to deter a "charging dog if your dog wants to have a piece of the action?? If/when my dogs get charged ... there job is to do nothing and let me deal with this crap!!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Hey ... it takes me a couple of days to think of questions ... but a good one would be "How long do you have before his HW treatment starts???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We just got the guy home today and are gonna take him in for his check up tomorrow and discuss treatment. When i talked to the vet last week before the adoption he recommended letting him get settled in for a couple weeks before beginning treatment to alleviate stress since the treatment can be stressful.

Here’s a couple pics of him at home and adjusting to our other two little guys. He’s a really sweet guy. He responds to the name Dozer, so we’re probably going to kep that. He already knows “sit” but he needs some structure and training and we need to put some weight on him. All his ribs are showing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the vet laid out the slow kill and the fast kill method. He started the guy on heart guard to help with the baby heartworms. They don’t want to start treatment until the fall when it starts cooling off here in Mississippi. They also found hook worm in his poop so we got him treated for that. Everything else checked out for him so we just have to come up with a plan for the heartworms.

The fast kill is twice the price and it’ll be harder on the dog, but the vet said that there is about a 95% success rate if done properly so we’ll have a little while to think about how we want to proceed. He’s fitting in nicely, just wants to sleep a lot and kind of just ignores our other two dogs right now. He is coming off neuter surgery so we don’t want him to be too active right now anyways until all that gets healed up. He also only weighed 55lbs so we need to get some weight on him.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
55 lbs is a little light for a male but what is his age??? Dogs with deep broad chest are subject to "Bloating!"

You can see him and sometimes pictures are not truly accurate?? But looking at him his weight body structure look fine to me. He has a deep , chest and tiny waist and you should be able to just see the ribs. If you can's see the ribs the dog is carry an extra layer of fat/weight.

I would ask the rescue what volume of kibbel they feed him?? One and a half to two cups per meal (twice a day) should be about right. And maybe a bit more if he is very active. My Struddell was very active and about three years old or so she weighted 65 lbs .
I was kinda surprised but she was pure muscle and she looked ... exactly like your dog does now. I did feed her a combo of kibble and canned and I'd reduce the kibbel to about a cup. Now to be accurate on rare occasions if she felt she'd not had quite enough ... she'd walk over flip her bowl and look at me??? SO I'd thrown in a half cup or less of "extra kibbel" and she'd be like ... good enough. That sis not happen a lot ... most likely it was "Bunny Chasing Days" but it did happen.
Oh yeah have a look here at this guy ... not a side profile but you can still make out the ribs.

Boxers von Bachbett- Working German Boxers

In any case Congratulations ... he's a handsome guy. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He’s around 2 at least according to the shelter. The photo is a little deceiving as he is really bony when you touch him and the ribs and vertebrae very visible. We definitely aren’t going to let him get obese and have all the issues that creates but I figure he could stand to gain a good 10lbs or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts