Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was at the vet last night with Cassius who is ten weeks old now and got his second set of shots. The vet was trying to force us to buy Trifexis and begin administering it to him monthly. I have heard some horror stories about the product in the past so I declined and told them I was going to do my own research first.

I wanted to get opinions from all of you and see what you suggest and/or what you use for your pets?

I am located in San Diego, CA so Heartworm isn't a huge issue but I still would like to protect him from it. Fleas aren't too bad either but I would prefer keeping him on a product.

Couple of meds I have been looking at for fleas and ticks are Nexguard and Advantage. I don't have much of a clue when it comes to other Heartworm options.

I really appreciate the input!!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Please do not use Trifexis!! There are so many horror stories out there about it! I wouldn't want to take a chance with that stuff.

When it comes to heartworm/fleas/tick prevention, I say less is more. Stay away from the meds that cover it all. That's just more poison that you're pumping into your dog's body. And it is exactly that, POISON - pesticides to kill the heartworms, fleas and ticks.

If you want to give heartworm prevention, I think that Heartgard is a good choice. It has been around for a while and lots of members on the forums use it. I haven't heard any negative stories about it.

As far as fleas/ticks go - if you live in an urban area, you don't have to worry about these too much. Personally, I would just treat them, IF he ever gets them.

The less chemicals, the better!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used sentinel, but won't again. My girl would vomit bile, refuse to eat and plain not feel well the first couple days of taking it. I asked the vets office about it and the ladies at the counter didn't think it was a problem. The preventive she was on before was tri heart plus. She did fine on it with no side effects. I switched back to that. This month when giving it to her no problems. The
Sentinel also has extra ingredients for fleas. And it doesn't even kill the fleas so why have it? I will give a topical when the time comes that she may need flea and tick stuff. She will be 3 tomorrow and has only had 2 ticks and 0 fleas in her life time. Luckily she is white and they are easily spotted.

·
Registered
484 Posts
When I was at the vet getting my girls heartworm meds I saw 2 people getting the trifexis for their pets. I just wanted to scream nooooo, use something different. I know the commercials are very misleading. I read about a lot of things prior to even bringing up with vet and after as well.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
We use heart guard plus for heart worm prevention and nexgard for flea prevention. Our cairn was using sentinel but she was seeing a different vet from who I normally use (another story) but I switched her to my vet and he likes heart guard. He feels you never know with the liquid if it were applied correctly or that it didn't get rubbed to soon. Plus I didn't like it, I always ended up with some on me just from touching her.

·
Registered
661 Posts
We currently use heart guard plus. Our family has always used heart guard plus and front line plus and we have never had a problem with them. With our curent pup I am choosing to go more natural with the flea and tick prevention. We treat the yard with food grade DE earth and spray our boy daily with a home made essential oil spray for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. I have learned so much from this forum including about DE earth and essential oil preventative.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We use HeartGuard Plus and Activyl Plus for Brubear. He hasn't had any problems with HeartGuard Plus and even though Activyl Plus Topical treatment is greasy for a couple of days it has kept the fleas and ticks off of him. It is always good to be proactive against fleas and ticks because you never know what other dog may be carrying them and since fleas can jump pretty far, if your dog comes into contact with another dog that has them they could jump onto yours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses everyone!!

I decided to go with Heartguard and to wait a few weeks before starting Frontline Plus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trifexis gave my boxer Bella Boo Siezures!!! It was the worst ever! Then the dumb vet acted all shocked when I told them and took the remaining pills back. I use heartgaurd plus. I do not use flea and tick meds.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I don't use heart worm preventative and no flea tick stuff. I'll be moving in a month and plan on doing the land scaling in plants that repel fleas, ticks and Mosquitos. I plan on planting lavender, sage, lemon grass etc around the outside of the house and a few things along the fence line as well. Hoping to keep out all the buggies!

For a more natural topical application I would look into essential oils. I use them and they work great

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Here in the deep south, neither Frontline Plus nor Frontline Tritac (the next generation of Frontline Plus) are proving to be very effective anymore. My dogs got horrible fleas while being on Frontline Tritac, and I had to hire a professional to rid of them in my house and yard of the infestation - it was AWFUL and very expensive!!!!

I'm so glad you decided not to use Trifexis!! I now use Nextgard for fleas/ticks, and so far, so good. It's pricey, but I like that it's a chewable, rather than the messy, oily stuff between their shoulder blades.

I use Heartgard Plus for heartworms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since our issue with Zipper last August with Trifexis, I no longer give her any meds for fleas, worms, etc. I also took her off her allergy medication, Atarax. We've had no flea problems for years, so we don't treat her.
ELANCO is the maker of Trifexis who is connected to Eli Lilly and Co, a huge drug company. Vets are in their pocket. I got denial from ELANCO and the vets that anything that Zipper encountered had to do with the drug Trifexis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone!!

I decided to go with Heartguard and to wait a few weeks before starting Frontline Plus.
Hi, It seems you have taken the right choice. I had also taken the best choice around 6 months ago by choosing Heartgard. Now I can see my pooch happy and much satisfied with Heartgard Plus. I had bought it from Budgetvetcare online pet supplies and got it in a huge discount compared to other online supplies. I would like to suggest Budgetvetcare to everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts