Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I was just curious to know if vets mind writing presciptions for heartworms pills? I am finding that it is cheaper to buy them online ( need script) and shipping is free. So does your vet do it for you?

Thanks,
Jessica and Bubba

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, online they usually just ask for your Vet's name & number... and they'll call to verify your pup has already been heartworm tested (and that this is your vet). But I think they also take scripts too.

But, yeah - they can't deny you from getting a preventative for your pups - whether or not you go through them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Most vet's will write a script.  Some will also price match.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've actually asked my vet for a script for revolution because I could get it $30 cheaper through drsfostersmith.com and she matched their price.  :)

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O whoa, what quick reponses ladies LOL Thanks, i was just curious! I was calling around for a new vet and getting prices...(geesh) LOL Hey, ill take whatever i can get price match or a script LOL Thanks Again! :)

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"92890":3qy1lufc]I've actually asked my vet for a script for revolution because I could get it $30 cheaper through drsfostersmith.com and she matched their price.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My_Harleigh\";p=\"92901 said:
8O WOA WOA WOA!!! I didn't know this. I got a 6 month supply for about $40. ugh!

Yeah yeah yeah LOL! Go check out their website...I personally think its way cheaper for me!

Look at Harleighs first picture she is giving you that oh so innocent look haha

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks like I would have saved about $10 on a 6 pack. I already get 10% off all scripts so I may have actually saved around $15 without my discount.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Most vets will write a prescription.  I would caution against buying from some websites.  I know with our vet, they price matched drfostersandsmith's website.  Did the same with the flea prevention (Frontline).  Speaking of Frontline, ours need there dosage this weekend or early next week.  It's starting to warm up, and we're going to the wife's family for Easter.  They live in a big field basically so there are alot of ticks.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had to get a perscription, my vet wouldn't do it over the phone.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
At our office we generally will price match vs writing a script, but we try and keep our prices pretty low on heartworm med's so that people can afford to use them...

I wont verify over the phone (pet med express) but will do a script if someone needs it....Most vets will and some will not.  Products are a major income so some prefer not to. There is no law stating you have to write a script for someone, it is generally a courtesy for existing clients though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I get mine from www.petsupplyexpress.com --- they have never required a prescription.   But, my vet told me they would rather price match for their clients than for them to order online.   So..... gonna take them up on that offer when I need a refill.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I actually got my heartworm preventative cheaper than at dr fosters.  I still don't like my vet right now but that is a different story.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I really don't understand why you need a prescription for this stuff.  Do kids in Iowa use it to make meth or something I don't know about?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Because who knows what could happen if it got into the wrong hands... and yes - maybe a meth lab could result! *hehe* You never know w/the way ppl are nowadays... better be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your answers! It wont hurt to ask the vet if she will write a script..or better yet match the price...whichever works for me LOL..Thanks Again! :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm just confused, because you can buy Advantix at Petco, and that stuff is some of the nastiest chemicals I've ever seen.  Isn't that just as dangerous?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I suppose it is... maybe the HW meds have something particular in it that is potentially quite dangerous... but then again - why are we using it on our dogs?!

I don't really know, Sully - you bring up a good question.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts