Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've always bought Charlie's from the vets.  He has been taking the interceptor.  I've found Heartguard plus online for 1/2 the price.  Does anybody give the Heartguard to there pets and any complaints?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I use interceptor also, got a perscription from the vet and ordered it through 1800petmeds for about $80 (no shipping) about $30 less than the vet charged.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I use interceptor as well.  I get mine really cheap at my vet but that's only because I work there.  My parents used to use heartgard and I think they like the taste of it better.  And it looks like a little peice of meat so I think it's more tempting.  But my vet started my dogs now on interceptor and they seem to like it so I've just stuck with it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've heard heartworms are a hoax.. I keep mine on heart guard though...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Flutterby\";p=\"11676 said:
I've heard heartworms are a hoax.. I keep mine on heart guard though...
No way, I've viewed Heatworm Positive dogs under a microscope and it's sad. Quite expensive to help a heartworm positive dog, I've seen owners abandon a dog once they know thier animal is positive. Most shelters and Rescue organizations don't have the money to help these guys.

I get sick to imagine a whole in anything let alone a heart. It's the real deal and not very smart for anyone to not have prevention especially if you live in a heavily infested mosquito area ( South east).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Heartworm isn't a hoax, but is often subject to fear-mongering.  Visit the American Heartworm Society site (www.heartwormsociety.org) for information on the life cycle of the heartworm, development of the larvae, conditions required for transmission, etc. - in most of the US, treatment should be seasonal - year-round medication is entirely unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use interceptor as well (Hawaii has mosquitos all year long), but I'm lucky.  Because Lilly is a SD we belong to IAADP.  They give you a whole lot of treatment (fleas, heartworm preventative etc etc etc...) Just for buying a membership.  The membership is pretty cheap too.  

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I can't imagine a live mosquito during a Wisconsin winter  :lol:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's hot and rainy here during the winter.  There are times I wish for snow....and then I come to my senses!!!  LOL!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We just started Odin on Heartgaurd along with K9 advantix... which they said is better for people who live by wooded areas. He likes the Heartgaurd... didn't have a problem taking it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I love K9 Advantix........  It  protects from so much more than the others on the market!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
905 Posts
They showed an infested heart they had taken from a dog that had to be put down on Animal Cops Houston before.  They had it in a jar of formaldehyde and Oh My God, it just looked like the heart had exploded with worms.  It was absolutely disgusting, and definitely not a hoax.

Ireland is heartworm and rabies-free, and long may it stay that way!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I didn't see that show, so can't comment, but often the "infected hearts" you see in vet's offices are plastic, and over-stated.  (That's part of the fear-mongering that goes on.)  Certainly there may be dogs whose hearts are that infected - but they would have been very sick dogs, and certainly not ones that had been tested for heartworms in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well, they did say that this heart came from a dog who was seized for neglect and had to be put down.  Apart from the heartworm, he was riddled with demodectic mange, which his owners had tried to treat by pouring turpentine over him.  He had lost all of his hair from the mange, and also had weeping sores all over his skin where the turps had burned him.  They had also poured some horse treatment over him (can't remember the name), which turned him bright purple.  He was a Weimaraner mix, and I never saw a sadder looking dog in my life.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"11866 said:
he was riddled with demodectic mange, which his owners had tried to treat by pouring turpentine over him.
What the hell is wrong with people?  :aua:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts